Breakaway League

Jareth

4 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Government drafting plans for a 50+1% fan share. Get ready to buy Villa stocks ;) 

I don’t like the idea of fan owned teams if i’m honest. 
If fans had real power over the running of the club, we’d have a new manager every time we lost a game.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking about when I caution against defeatism:

Do I believe the Tories are going to implement the 50+1 rule? No, absolutely not, because having fans own clubs might pose all sorts of questions about whether workers can own or have a greater say in businesses. But the fact they feel compelled to come out and say 'all options are on the table' here is very telling.

People just need to do some basic maths. There are tens of millions of football fans in this country, and opposition to these plans is near universal. Not just among fans of other clubs, but you can see the opposition on forums of clubs involved. Someone quoted a poll on Spurs' forum that had 94% of fans against the idea earlier. Maybe American owners can ignore what their fans feel, but the British government cannot completely ignore what tens of millions of voters feel.

It may be worth people starting to think about communications with MPs, *especially* Tory MPs. If you do go that route, keep it calm, keep it rational, don't demand emotional things like 'chuck them out of the league', but just make them aware that this is an important issue, that you favour 50+1 (if you do), that you expect the government to help with a robust response that protects the integrity of the sport, and that this is an issue you will be considering when it comes to the next election.

I think the Tories absolutely would bring in a 51% fan rule. Say what you like about the Tories but they've swung much more nationalist of late and this is great politics for them. Want to show off how you're willing to stick up for the common man and this country's heritage? Save the national sport from being hijacked by billionaires and ruined.

You can argue about whether that's actually a fair reflection of events, but I reckon they're licking their lips at the chance to ride to the rescue here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

If fans had real power over the running of the club, we’d have a new manager every time we lost a game.

That's not how it works methinks. Even in large companies it's the majority shareholders that decide. 50 million fans isn't a unified single shareholder. Quite the opposite.

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Obviously told them to hoop it. Good man. Hope Klopp and Pep do the same. 

Wouldn't surprise me.

This is a man who broke all the odds and won CL with Porto.

This is what football is all about. Any team having the opportunity to do the unthinkable. The SL want to remove this opportunity.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Apparently Jose as been sacked.

Yeah, I’d bet because he told them this was a steaming dog-egg of an idea. Why resign when the sack means they must pay out your contract? 

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Worked wonders with Bayern and Dortmund.

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think the Tories absolutely would bring in a 51% fan rule. Say what you like about the Tories but they've swung much more nationalist of late and this is great politics for them. Want to show off how you're willing to stick up for the common man and this country's heritage? Save the national sport from being hijacked by billionaires and ruined.

You can argue about whether that's actually a fair reflection of events, but I reckon they're licking their lips at the chance to ride to the rescue here.

I certainly hope you're right, and I think there's no good reason at all not to push for it. I personally don't think they'll go that far, but there are other steps they could take short of that and the crucial thing is that fans make a lot of noise. We are large, we can get organised, and then we cannot be completely ignored.

Â