Breakaway League

Jareth

Probably a non starter, but as punishment I'd like to see all broadcast revenues (domestic + international) plus all UEFA Champions League and Europa League income earned by English clubs to be distributed evenly amongst all 20 PL clubs.  You see this with the American college conferences, where prize money earned by member institutions in NCAA tournaments are split evenly amongst all the colleges belonging to the conference.

Yes, the top clubs will lose a lot of money, but at the same time there will be less of a revenue variable if they fail to qualify for the UCL - which is a major issue for many of them.

• Like 1

Since the inception of the idiotic idea known as superleague the 12 'top' clubs who agreed to join have the following stats

Manure - 4 out of 6 points.

Shitty - 3/3 points and a cup win.

Chopped Liver - 2/6 points.

London Blues - 3/6 points.

London Whites - 3/3 points and a cup loss.

London Red Herrings - 1/6 points.

Madrid Mucho Serpientes - 3/6 points.

Barcelona Nada Pesetas - 6/6 points.

Atletico 'Oh nia putas' Madrid  - 6/9 points.

Torino Coin Smugglers - 4/9 points.

Not so Internazionale - 5/9 points.

AC 'Where's my money!?" Milan 3/9 points.

Out of the greedy 12 only 8 are currently in CL positions, with an additional 4 of these being at risk of being overtaken and losing their place (Barcelona, Juve, Chelsea, Real).

Super indeed.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Since the inception of the idiotic idea known as superleague the 12 'top' clubs who agreed to join have the following stats

Manure - 4 out of 6 points.

Shitty - 3/3 points and a cup win.

Chopped Liver - 2/6 points.

London Blues - 3/6 points.

London Whites - 3/3 points and a cup loss.

London Red Herrings - 1/6 points.

Madrid Mucho Serpientes - 3/6 points.

Barcelona Nada Pesetas - 6/6 points.

Atletico 'Oh nia putas' Madrid  - 6/9 points.

Torino Coin Smugglers - 4/9 points.

Not so Internazionale - 5/9 points.

AC 'Where's my money!?" Milan 3/9 points.

Out of the greedy 12 only 8 are currently in CL positions, with an additional 4 of these being at risk of being overtaken and losing their place (Barcelona, Juve, Chelsea, Real).

Super indeed.

I would have loved to see West Ham beat Chelsea. Imagine Leicester and West Ham in the CL. That could really be the start of a shift in power. Leicester have been doing well for a few years now, have had a good transfer policy and deserve their position. West Ham would probably be a one off, but it does get money away from the usual teams.

Edited by AXD
  • Like 1

Here is hoping Sevilla can steal La Liga. Milan,Juventus, Poo, Spurs maybe Chelsea (but think they have too much) all miss out on Champions League. PSG win the champions league and Roma or Villarreal win Europa

• Like 1

The failed attempts, to me shows there will be a clear transition of power in the coming years. They (the big 6) know it, which is why they tried to shut up shop. 

In the PL, Leicester, Everton and us are coming and with the financial backing are now ahead of Spurs and Arsenal. When Kopp goes, I expect Liverpool to consistently drop out the top 4.

Napoli and Atalanta are replacing Juve and AC Milan. 

Real Madrid and in particular Barca are almost bankrupt.

They will come again desperately, or the clubs as we know it will just become run of the mill teams. 

• Like 2

Just now, pas5898 said:

The failed attempts, to me shows there will be a clear transition of power in the coming years. They (the big 6) know it, which is why they tried to shut up shop. 

In the PL, Leicester, Everton and us are coming and with the financial backing are now ahead of Spurs and Arsenal. When Kopp goes, I expect Liverpool to consistently drop out the top 4.

They will come again desperately, or the clubs as we know it will just become run of the mill teams. 

Bang on!

The whole thing was done from a position of weakness with the dirty dozen clubs  who are up to their eyeballs in debt,  suffering galloping wage demands, and  with other ambitious clubs snapping at their heels trying to take a piece of their stack.

However I will be surprised if the fallout of this results in a more equitable systems of money and/or these teams getting the shafting they all deserve.

I still think perhaps the CL reforms may be looked at again and Uefa to come back with another proposal to have the same number of group games but more money going to the 12.

Any talk of them getting banned is fanciful imo.

Edited by The Fun Factory

5 hours ago, pas5898 said:

What SHOULD happen is those teams don't sign any players for a year or 2 and try to dispose of whoever they possibly can. 

They won't though, they'll fight to keep their players and try to sign some stupid expensive new player's. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

What SHOULD happen is those teams don't sign any players for a year or 2 and try to dispose of whoever they possibly can. 

They won't though, they'll fight to keep their players and try to sign some stupid expensive new player's. 

I don't know if that would help. Didn't Chelsea have a transfer ban last year? they just picked up where they left off and splashed the cash afterwards. Admittedly, 2 years should have more effect.

Still hoping for points deduction (won't happen). Fulham, Sheffield and WBA should be screaming for this to have chance of staying in the PL

I don't think points deduction will happen.

I still think a suspended points deduction should happen though. Indefinitely. basically if you or any other team tries this again it's a 20 point deduction no questions asked.

(there should still be other punishments besides this that do apply now)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AXD said:

I don't know if that would help. Didn't Chelsea have a transfer ban last year? they just picked up where they left off and splashed the cash afterwards. Admittedly, 2 years should have more effect.

Still hoping for points deduction (won't happen). Fulham, Sheffield and WBA should be screaming for this to have chance of staying in the PL

I wasn't taking about punishment, I was talking about them getting their finances in order. 

This is not exactly breaking news and maybe it’s commonly known, but I’ve only just learned about how Arsenal “won” promotion in 1919 by being voted in by reputation (they had finished 5th in the second division before the war). 

In the first division, Chelsea had finished second from bottom, Spurs in last place. Chelsea were also reprieved because Man Utd fixed a game against Liverpool which meant United stayed up. The powers that be felt that was a bit unfair on Chelsea (a reasonable stance) but didn’t seem to impose any meaningful sanctions on Liverpool or Man Utd. Spurs wanted a similar reprieve but didn’t receive enough votes to stay in the league.

Yes, the war, I know, different time. But still, it’s kinda crazy that a century on, a lot of the same major players are involved in scrambling around looking after themselves in somewhat dubious methods. There’s nothing new under the sun, I guess.

• Like 1

So now the dust is settling, it appears other than some ego's being dented and some of the top 6 executives being booted off some committees , the top 6 have basically got away with no punishment...as we all expected.

Sweepstake to guess when super breakaway league v2.0 is rumoured? 

12 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

So now the dust is settling, it appears other than some ego's being dented and some of the top 6 executives being booted off some committees , the top 6 have basically got away with no punishment...as we all expected.

Well, that's what people deserve when they keep watching CL matches.

18 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I'd give it 18 to 24 months.

40 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can’t see it.

They buckled immediately following fan backlash. I don’t see it coming back. 

I think it’s all part of a measured plan.

I don’t believe for a second that they didn’t see the backlash coming, the best way to get people to sign up to something shit is to first offer them something shitter.

This will be back.

Â