Breakaway League

Jareth

10 hours ago, Mic09 said:

How much money is too much money? And why?

I really agree with the spirit of what you are saying, but I feel that it's an emotional argument rather than one based on the rights of ownership and free market that those clubs were purchased under.

Too much money is subjective and open to discussion while at the end of the day, Man U, Villa or Southampton are owned by someone - they are someone's business. We may not like it as fans, but someone owns those teams.

So I'd be careful with putting restrictions on these clubs. What I would do instead is hold them accountable to their books - if West Ham want to buy Mbappe for £500m, pay him £1m a week and pay the agent £100m that is absolutely fine in my opinion. But they will go bust because that will bring them greater debt and it will not be a good investment. It will generate a loss.

Give teams like Villa or Everton a real chance to compete financially with Man Utd or Chelsea. But if it goes south, hold them accountable. 

it's a pipe dream really because you cannot restrict means and means is the name of the game.

I suppose that if a player's wages cap was set then you'd just offer ludicrous bonuses to create higher incentive and the highest provider attracts the best anyways.

I can't offer any good solutions, capitalism is what capitalism is and it's all just logical at the end of the day. If you're rich it's easier to get richer and the gap widens.

All I'm really on about here is that I don't like that power in football ultimately comes down to cash flow and assets. As with other facets in life in general.

Google translate but basically he says no punishment for the clubs "as it would punish the players and fans as well" 🙄

FIFA President Gianni Infantino on Super League clubs: "It's quick to say that you have to punish"

FIFA President Gianni Infantino condemns the aborted Super League project. But he regrets that it has been able to develop and is not in favor of sanctions against dissident clubs.

Since his remarkable visit, on April 20, at the platform of the UEFA Congress, where he denounced the initiative of the twelve "big" European clubs (AC Milan, Arsenal, Atlético de Madrid, Chelsea, FC Barcelona, Inter Milan , Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham) who tried to launch a closed Super League in vain , Gianni Infantino (51) remained silent.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Gianni-infantino-president-de-la-fifa-au-sujet-des-clubs-de-la-super-ligue-c-est-vite-dit-qu-il-faut-punir/1249099

UEFA are ready to pursue severe disciplinary action against clubs who signed up to the Super League and have yet to sufficiently distance themselves from the project, multiple sources familiar with the situation have told ESPN.

This could result in the maximum punishment under the organisation's disciplinary pathway, which is a two-year ban from the Champions League or Europa League.

Link

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 3

The ‘hurts the fans’ argument is complete bullshit, and perpetuates the divine right problem.

Infuriating to read fans of clubs that would support them at the top of the Premier League or in League 2 and pundits agree with this line of thinking. 

• Like 3

Other than endless money being drip fed forever, wasn't the SuperLeague created so that fans never have to fear relegation, failure, or financial struggle?

So I say that if they wanted to 'benefit' the fans in that way, the fans should suffer as the project has back fired.

• Like 1

Just now, Mic09 said:

Other than endless money being drip fed forever, wasn't the SuperLeague created so that fans never have to fear relegation, failure, or financial struggle?

So I say that if they wanted to 'benefit' the fans in that way, the fans should suffer as the project has back fired.

Worse than that I think

The ESL was formed on the basis that there is a huge potential fan base that no one owns yet, they have no alliance to clubs, they just buy shirts based on players and watch top games supporting neither team, these clubs not only want their money they need it to survive, they don't want the fan base that they already have, it's not enough to feed them

40 years plus as a season ticket holder at OT and buy you and your kids new kits every year? You've been taken to the bank already they're not interested in you any more 

Vietnese kid with a passing interest in football but not really sure where to start or who to watch? Florentino Perez sliding in to your DM's 

Also 'looking after fans' is a stupid argument to be making and has nothing to do with fundamentals of law.

If a man murders someone, you put him in prison - you don't let him off because his family might be negatively affected. 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Media reaction that 4 of the scummy could make the European finals really is sickening

Yeah, I was finding the news reporter on the radio was getting overly excited reporting that two English Teams would be competing in the CL final this year. I cannot get excited by any of the SL6 teams winning a european trophy. You have just reminded me that the Europa league final could go the sme way. 😩

We all know the glossing over has already started, nothing will come of the punishments to these teams. It will be back to the status quo until they all try again in a few years.

• Like 1

The commentator for the match last night said along the lines of 'here we go, Madrid in the famous white kit known the world over... and chelsea in the equally as iconic blue'

I was like ffs pathetic

12 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

The commentator for the match last night said along the lines of 'here we go, Madrid in the famous white kit known the world over... and chelsea in the equally as iconic blue'

I was like ffs pathetic

That's what happens when they can't wheel out some made up garbage about famous atmospheres or playing under the lights

2 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Isn't it Leeds who have the famous white kit known the world over? 

white teeth troll GIF

One for the kids they played in blue and yellow until 1961 when Revie copied Real Madrid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Steve said:

so basically nothing is going to happen to the english clubs because they're the good guys that pulled out early and the only ones in danger of any real punishment are barca, real and juve?

13 hours ago, a m ole said:

The ‘hurts the fans’ argument is complete bullshit, and perpetuates the divine right problem.

Infuriating to read fans of clubs that would support them at the top of the Premier League or in League 2 and pundits agree with this line of thinking. 

Hopefully now that precedent has been established and readily accepted by the powers that be in football, they will immediately end all points deductions for breaches of FFP. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

Hopefully now that precedent has been established and readily accepted by the powers that be in football, they will immediately end all points deductions for breaches of FFP. 

Fully agree - the precedent is there now. Rule breakers cannot not be punished by points deduction as it will 'upset the fans and not be fair...' There's a missed opportunity in all of this to follow the path of previous punishments for a plethora of wrong-doings. Points deductions, summary relegations, transfer embargoes,  or forcing teams to change their name e.g. Nuneaton Borough... forced to change their name by the FA, came back as Nuneaton Town... and now allowed to resume as Nuneaton Borough.

Nobody gave two hoots about the fans in that situation, and countless others for other clubs of 'lesser standing' but no less importance to the footballing pyramid...

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

Â