Breakaway League

Jareth

44 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They will just do it  a bit differently in a less confrontational manner and go faster stripes. They can't afford not to try again.

And this time they will have some nominal promotion/relegation scheme to make it seem fair, but the original 12 will still get to keep 99% of the money.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

So now the dust is settling, it appears other than some ego's being dented and some of the top 6 executives being booted off some committees , the top 6 have basically got away with no punishment...as we all expected.

Sweepstake to guess when super breakaway league v2.0 is rumoured? 

I think there are two important things about timing that are probably worth considering:

Firstly, UEFA, the Premier League and FIFA (if they're involved) won't hand out any punishments quickly - if they do go with punishments (and I think there'll be something) they'll need to have endless meetings first, then agree them with committees, agree them with broadcasters, then run them past a team of lawyers that could fill the Bernabau for a couple of months to make sure they're airtight - I wouldn't be too surprised if UEFA surprise us by announcing punishments in November.

Secondly, on super league 2.0, people are talking about a year of two before these teams come back; Barcelona don't have two years, if they don't find a way to restructure their debts or bring in more income in the next three to four months, they'll be facing increased calls from the people they owe money to for some form of receivership (they've already had a construction company take them to court)  Any sort of step backwards for them is a sporting disaster, they're a club right on the edge of having to make the big surrender; to have to actually face up to the reality that they need to shrink their spend and perhaps sell a few things and to admit that for a period at least, they can't afford to push for the big prizes. That's the ticking bomb. Barcelona will want 2.0 by the start of next season or there's really no point for them. To an extent, for the rest of us to see change, all we really have to do is do nothing and wait for Barcelona.

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

And this time they will have some nominal promotion/relegation scheme to make it seem fair, but the original 12 will still get to keep 99% of the money.

Mm i think a couple of clubs might be replaced by then mainly the North London club if still shit. If UEFA do sanction it they wont allow an English majority like they tried

It has probably been said already, but I'm not sure if these clubs actually understand what they've done wrong. And if they only listen to their own supporters, I don't think they will learn either.

From their fans perspective they were afraid of getting kicked out of or leaving domestic football. Thats why their banners said things like: "We want our cold nights in Stoke".

From other club's fans I think it was fear of having an even bigger financial gap between them and the rest. 

But I didn't hear anyone actually was angry on behalf of UEFA and their Champions League. Nobody liked the ESL, but I think it was for different reasons. I doubt their fans would be extremly upset by competing in the Premier League with a £200m annual advantage. I might not be applauding that Villa were to receive £200m per year for playing in some sort of European League they would automatically qualify for. But I would't go out in the streets to protest against it either.

I think both the six breakaway clubs and the rest of the league just need to be prepared to let go. The breakaway clubs just need to understand that a business where they spend money they haven't earned yet to stay ahead of everyone else just isn't sustainable. Like everyone else they need to build a great team, have a great team and rebuild another great team. They can't be on top always. It's like that monkey trap where the monkey puts a hand in a jar, grab the food and is trapped. Because it doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that all it has to do is to open it's hand, release the food and be free.

And the same is also true for the other 14 clubs. If they are prepared to actually kick those other clubs out of the Premier League if they go and join another league, then those clubs will never leave. Because leaving the Premier League might be short term financial satisfaction. But long term it will be a disaster to alle these clubs to not play in their domestic leagues. Their threath is that they bring money to the table for everyone by being big clubs, and by leaving that money is lost, The domestic fans of other clubs will enjoy some Premier League instead and over time foreign fans will just support other clubs instead. The other 14 just need to realise that these clubs leaving the Premier League is a non credible threath. 

Only 22 previous winners should be inaugurated as the founding members of this league, it should be called the European Cup and until you have won one you can't take part ever. 

The only small print way to enter is to buy a previous winners seat and split any profit 50/50, in the unlikely event that said entrant should win the European Cup, they will receive no monies, said prize money will be split 50/50 with the donor club and their countries leagues. The winner will also be fined 100 million and receive a 5 year European ban.

29 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I think both the six breakaway clubs and the rest of the league just need to be prepared to let go. The breakaway clubs just need to understand that a business where they spend money they haven't earned yet to stay ahead of everyone else just isn't sustainable. Like everyone else they need to build a great team, have a great team and rebuild another great team. They can't be on top always. It's like that monkey trap where the monkey puts a hand in a jar, grab the food and is trapped. Because it doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that all it has to do is to open it's hand, release the food and be free.

I know as Villa supporters we mildly dislike bluenoses, but calling them monkeys seems a bit harsh

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Barcelona have lost 2-1 to Granada.

What a shame.

Koeman sent off for mouthing off against the ref. Will be banned for the games against Valencia and Atletico Madrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Barcelona have lost 2-1 to Granada.

What a shame.

But....but....Big Club....they deserve to win because.....Barca....

• Like 1

These clubs like Barcelona and real madrid will have to do what most clubs have to do when they in financial trouble - sell their players/assets 

Release messi that will save them what 200k a week. Sell some of their othee high earners.

They will have to accept they will be shit for a few years but then they will storm back once their financial position improves. Barcelona will always be a big draw for most players

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

These clubs like Barcelona and real madrid will have to do what most clubs have to do when they in financial trouble - sell their players/assets 

Release messi that will save them what 200k a week. Sell some of their othee high earners.

They will have to accept they will be shit for a few years but then they will storm back once their financial position improves. Barcelona will always be a big draw for most players

Saw a rumour that they're going to offer Messi a 10 year deal... Please please let that be true and be a millstone around their neck do ryears to come. 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Basically only about 2 clubs can afford Messi and Citeh have indicated that they are not interested in him. Its either PSG, or a wage reduction and semi retirement in America, or to sign a new contract. He is 33 and is his skills are declining due to father time. I expect he will stay at Barca but on a reduced salary for about 2-3 years and then go off to the states in a farewell tour.

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Basically only about 2 clubs can afford Messi and Citeh have indicated that they are not interested in him. Its either PSG, or a wage reduction and semi retirement in America, or to sign a new contract. He is 33 and is his skills are declining due to father time. I expect he will stay at Barca but on a reduced salary for about 2-3 years and then go off to the states in a farewell tour.

But isnt his contract up in the summer? They could just release him and then he will take a wage cut somewhere else if not at Barcelona if he wants to continue to play

I've just read that Chelsea are looking to bring back Lukaku for around £90m. 

Haven't they just signed a £50m striker?

Although it looks like out of the 6, Chelsea and Man City are financially in the best situation. 

Still, if I spend a £50 on a pair of shoes that turn out shit and I buy another pair for £90 (that I previously owned and sold to my mate for £30) my mrs (i.e. the CFO) would crucify me. 

It sums up the state the game is in. The 'big' clubs have been playing oneupmanship on an exponential scale, and the bottoms about to fall out of it all. So they dreamt up something to keep them going for a bit longer 

Things are **** when theres a few clubs in the league whose squad is 'worth' more than a few of the clubs at the other end, in their entirety, put together. The price paid for Villa wouldn't buy Citeh's bench at times this year. 

To underline that even further, Messi's wages could pay for our record signing in about 3 months.

Games ****.

• Like 3

Â