Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still think this is our best team: 

Reina,

Guilbert, Engles, Mings, Target, 

Luiz Nakamba Mcginn

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish.

Personally, when he’s back fit, I’d put Heaton in and I also wouldn’t write off big Wes either, it’s good to have competition for places, other than that, I’d also be tempted to put Drinkwater in too

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Personally, when he’s back fit, I’d put Heaton in and I also wouldn’t write off big Wes either, it’s good to have competition for places, other than that, I’d also be tempted to put Drinkwater in too

Better.

I'm partial to a 4-2-3-1 as it provides flexibility and width without sacrificing midfield strength (and it's also my FIFA formation).

So, with that in mind, I would go with...

Reina

Guilbert, Mings, Engels, Targett

McGinn (when fit) Nakamba

Trezegeut Grealish El Ghazi

Samatta

3 minutes ago, regular_john said:

I'm partial to a 4-2-3-1 as it provides flexibility and width without sacrificing midfield strength (and it's also my FIFA formation).

Reina

Samatta

Would leave us so open. McGinn would push forward and we'd be f***** if a team broke against us. 
I also don't want Trezeguet anywhere near the team. Elmo is a better player. 

8 hours ago, regular_john said:

Reina

Samatta

Sorry mate, I hate that. Trez in particular and AEG to some degree are too ineffective and don't help out going backwards. I would like to see:

Mainly away games

Reina

Guilbert          Engels       Mings     Targett

Nakamba

McGinn                         Luiz

Grealish

Samatta           Davis

This hopefully will stop teams breaking through us so easily but still allow for high press and creativity. Davis obs to hold up the outball.

Most home Games

Reina

Guilbert       Engels     Mings        Targett

Nakamba

McGinn                        Luiz

AEG                    Samatta                 Grealish 

More free flowing at home, only ? is AEG on the right. May have to be Trez or possibly Samatta to the right and bring in Davis central.

Looking at all the comments and suggestions we put on here you can see Deano cannot ever get it right can he!

I'm going for a lie down now my brain hurts

I think we should probably give a diamond a go, or something else without wingers. It's definitely the weak point IMO.

Some of us disagree on the quality of our players in midfield, but I think it's an area we should look to pack as it should make us harder to beat centrally. This is the area we do seem weakest in, and far too open. It'd give Jack a bit more freedom and if we have 3/4 other players in that area, it should see us being cut open a bit less. Anything is worth a try at this point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think we should probably give a diamond a go, or something else without wingers. It's definitely the weak point IMO.

Some of us disagree on the quality of our players in midfield, but I think it's an area we should look to pack as it should make us harder to beat centrally. This is the area we do seem weakest in, and far too open. It'd give Jack a bit more freedom and if we have 3/4 other players in that area, it should see us being cut open a bit less. Anything is worth a try at this point.

I was calling for that since before Davis was injured. I keep saying that too. We need to try diamond.

However, I don't think we'll play another game in the near future. Maybe that's it for this season, and next game we'll have another players joining the squad.

• 6 months later...

now im at a point in the transfer window where anything else is a bonus, and im actually happy with our purchases, this is my 25 man squad.

First 11 :     Martinez, Targett, Mings, Konsa, Cash, Luiz, McGinn, Barkley, Grealish, Watkins, Traore.                                                                (thats a massively improved first 11)

Squad:        Heaton, Steer, Taylor, Hause, Engels, Elmo, Guilbert, Nakamba, Lansbury, Hourihane, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Jota, Davis.           (add Wesley in Jan - loan/sell someone to accommodate)

Sell/Loan: Kalinic, Nyland

Loan: Ramsey, Archer, Revan [any other youth who need a good loan playing mens football]

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

AEG and Trez can play left or right. Trez has played twice as many RW for us as LW. Why you think we getting another?

I believe he prefers the left, just like Ghazi.

Had plenty of *NEW* spots in there a month ago where there were holes in the squad, just ticking them off as the signings come in. Not predictions of signings or anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i really think 4-2-3-1 should be our go to formation this season, having Luiz and McGinn in the deeper role where they can break forward as well protect the defence, is ideal for us, i alsao think McGinn is better suited to the deeper role, it really utilises all of his main skill sets/abilities.

Not gonna happen i dont think, but we could do with getting rid of El Ghazi, Lansbury & Taylor, and replacing them with 1 x LB, 1 x MC and 1 x winger.

Virtually zero chance of that happening i reckon tho.

v1.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i really think 4-2-3-1 should be our go to formation this season, having Luiz and McGinn in the deeper role where they can break forward as well protect the defence, is ideal for us, i alsao think McGinn is better suited to the deeper role, it really utilises all of his main skill sets/abilities.

Not gonna happen i dont think, but we could do with getting rid of El Ghazi, Lansbury & Taylor, and replacing them with 1 x LB, 1 x MC and 1 x winger.

I couldn't agree more.

I think we looked much better with SJM sitting and breaking from deep.  I really couldn't understand why Smith was playing CH as the box to boxer (no energy/dynamism and better suited to the more advanced role where he can be a goal threat) with SJM pushed on where he looked a bit lost.  

I also agree with your get rids.  I would love to see those three go to be replaced by Benrhama, Henry and, say, Swift who would offer proper no. 8 cover for SJM which we have not had over the last few years.  Maybe Ramsey can do that - I haven't seen enough of him to know his capabilities.  I also agree that it is unlikely to happen this window.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

v1.JPG

Good shout, 
we would need looking at a replacement for El Ghazi with another left-foot winger (prefer young with potential to challenge Traore - any our academy has this type player?). if we can't find it is will make us one winger short.

I think the idea about sent Guilbert to Loan until Elmo see the contract expires in end the summer. It would save wage bill - also Guilbert will push challenge Cash if he plays other Premiership teams, yet the Championship would be a better place to go as lots of games and learn the English game to improve him as a player.

and we should go look for left-back to replace Taylor (Henry from Bradford would be the ideal to sign for challenge Targett to better player).  As his contract expires due in next summer too, so try to sell him for money offer him the alternate is release free and free wage bill. we go to buy Henry if not success to obligate him by failed by miss out a deadline that we should've to keep Guilbert for the back up left side until replacement better than Taylor as backup Targett.

These a reason - I like your suggest team. (Y) 

We should look to replace with Hourihane with new CM but at this moment - I would happy he stay with us One more season with a suitable replacement or keep him as back 3rd choice for centre midfield I don't think he would happy as he wants more games time and play for Ireland for Euro we didn't urge to find a replacement for CM. If we want to get to an upgrade I can understand this as we need this.

I am still Skeptical about Wesley but would give him a chance to prove us he is good enough for us until summer.
I think we should have to ask King Loan to buy rather buy him it is ideal if no one they in for him, it is nothing to lose so it is win-win if Wesley didn't work so rid him and buy King as long he is well and better than Wesley in reversible if Wesley did well and Bournemouth back premiership they can keep him it will would be suitable both the parties. if we buy King I would still happy as add number team to better challenge.

We should've to try rid Lansbury and El-Ghazi this windows as I think we will be ok with one less winger as Traore will challenge them because we have King + Watkins can play in winger roles or give youth chance until Jan transfer windows. Loan Guilbert if we got replacement and Loan Davis in Jan * if we get King and Wesley back in the squad with match fitness. This be will best transfer windows business ever we orchestrator and execute superbly! 

Finally, as last we have this squad size we will have hell good squad Team A and Team B (Challenge "Team A" Team) Good work, Smith and his team.

4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 should be our 2 mainly formation Attack Midfield can player as Centre midfield which is brilliant balance, beside Ramsey yet too early to see he can play box to box type.

I think the formation above is close to what we played, but I think in reality all three AMs where much deeper in the pitch. They just had great engines to get back and forth. 

It feels rather absurd to discuss rigid tactics and ideal formation when it's all so fluid anyway. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

v1.JPG

This is more or less how we set up on Sunday isn’t it 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

Â