Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

22 hours ago, maqroll said:

Looks like we haven't signed Ings to be a backup.

So it begs the question, how do we line up with him in the starting 11?

Do we go old school 4-4-2?

4-2-3-1 with Ings up top and Ollie behind him?

Watkins starts out wide then they flip to 4-4-2 at a moment notice. 

if they could train us to move between shapes multiple times mid game then that would be epic. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

come a long way since Smiths first game 

image.png.3180725393d3d0dfa09a3a522e838f9a.png

Only one player left from that team 

A lot of turn around in short space of time

Edited by gaffer85
Missed mcginn😲
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Thoughts on this?

Potentially what Smith will go with

r/avfc - What a squad, what a future

Not convinced Ings and Watkins will work.

Not sure if Bailey will be ready for the first few games - is he still in Jamaica at present ?

29 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I love Deano, can't wait to see what he does now that the monkey is off his back.

Can build a team around the players instead of a player. 

There will be some ups and downs but only looking good for me 

We now have genuine pace which scares the shit out of defenders and Argentinian silky skills. Snake Boy often held up the play and allowed teams to get back. I think we are 100% better without the rat 

Sansom will start as well 

Edited by Follyfoot

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Thoughts on this?

Would leave us far too short in the middle I think. Getting flashbacks to Barkely not tracking back and how much it **** us at times and there's no way Ings is going to be running from box to box all game.

Genuinely have no idea how he is going to accommodate both, perhaps Watkins out wide Ings as the striker and Buendia as the 10.

Not sure how it would work with our personnel but I much prefer a 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1

Just now, penguin said:

Would leave us far too short in the middle I think. Getting flashbacks to Barkely not tracking back and how much it **** us at times and there's no way Ings is going to be running from box to box all game.

Genuinely have no idea how he is going to accommodate both, perhaps Watkins out wide Ings as the striker and Buendia as the 10.

Not sure how it would work with our personnel but I much prefer a 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1

I know what you're saying and I would personally love for us to play like Liverpool's 4-3-3 system but Smith seem to like playing with a 10.

It does leave our midfield quite exposed but it can be exciting to watch.

It is what it is. Kind of have to take the good with the bad.

Emi and defence did make up for a non existing midfield last season maybe they can do it again.

Daily Facist are writing about Dean playing different formations including ....GASP.... two strikers

i would link to and add preview but that site gives my browser monkey aids, it has so many videos/ads trying to bum you in the face that it makes the Brum mail look like a lovely user experience.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Daily Facist are writing about Dean playing different formations including ....GASP.... two strikers

i would link to and add preview but that site gives my browser monkey aids, it has so many videos/ads trying to bum you in the face that it makes the Brum mail look like a lovely user experience.

Diamond midfield? Width from the full back? Could work 

2 hours ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

4-3-3.png

This seems the most obvious way we'll line up, though probably more a 4-2-3-1 and Sanson with more of a look-in. Could also see us shifting to a 4-3-3 occasionally, either as above or with McGinn and Sanson either side of a DM.

I personally think that, unless we sign another forward type, we will normally go into games with the same set up as last season with Watkins playing wide left, Buendia behind the striker, Bailey wide right and Ings up front. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Thoughts on this?

Looks fantastic with the ball as very attacking s probably depends who we are against , without the ball maybe a problem as both Ginny and Nak have a tendency to be sloppy after we’ve won the ball and don’t retain well , bit of a gamble but would be fun to watch 

5 minutes ago, Chine said:

Looks fantastic with the ball as very attacking s probably depends who we are against , without the ball maybe a problem as both Ginny and Nak have a tendency to be sloppy after we’ve won the ball and don’t retain well , bit of a gamble but would be fun to watch 

I think Naka is and has got better at that, I really do. His first season was atrocious. I’m a big fan of his.

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I think Naka is and has got better at that, I really do. His first season was atrocious. I’m a big fan of his.

Yeah at times nak has looked decent and a lot of pressure in there , hopefully he will become more consistent and retain better

Â