MaVilla

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Reina 

Monza    Engels   Mings

Fred                                                 Targs

Luiz                          Marv

Jack 

Samatta               New

That formation is such a mess for me and Smith is not going 2 up front thankfully so I don't need to worry about it

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That formation is such a mess for me and Smith is not going 2 up front thankfully so I don't need to worry about it

Doubtful that he would field 2 strikers but u never know, I just think the lineup adds to in game flexibility, Jack can control the game better from there and at times when FG DL MK MT are a 4 and Jack can drift where he wants taking players with him opens it up for MT FG push on wide and having 2 strikers with movement would be a nightmare for opposition defenders to deal with. Fantasy football from me, just a fan but like the feel of it. Also TM is a much better passer then Hause so playing out would be a lot sweeter then an inaccurate clearance that comes straight back.

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Doubtful that he would field 2 strikers but u never know, I just think the lineup adds to in game flexibility, Jack can control the game better from there and at times when FG DL MK MT are a 4 and Jack can drift where he wants taking players with him opens it up for MT FG push on wide and having 2 strikers with movement would be a nightmare for opposition defenders to deal with. Fantasy football from me, just a fan but like the feel of it. Also TM is a much better passer then Hause so playing out would be a lot sweeter then an inaccurate clearance that comes straight back.

343 is working. It's a great formation. Wolves used it last season and still. Chelsea won with it with Conte. My feeling is many are obsessed (emotive word) with 2 up front and don't appreciate the ramifications. It's a 352 for me which I don't like. I think the 343 solution has solved the problem we've had with allowing ridiculous amount of chances conceded under 433 and that's borne out by the stats. Smith is a 433 man but he's not too obstinate to realise something needed changing and the results speak for themselves

37 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Reina 

Konza    Engels   Mings

Fred                                                 Targs

Luiz                          Marv

Jack 

Samatta               New

That would be an effective solid and offensively strong lineup, with Jack centrally to be even more on the ball and dictate games.

Think it would put too much responsibility on our fullbacks to cover the flanks alone. I like them but they are not THAT good.

And it would also rob us of our best attacking attribute which is the Grealish-Targett interplay.

Might be something to try late in a game if we are chasing a goal, but since I think both El Ghazi and Trez does their best work coming in late as subs I think I rather stay as we play now.

I'd also rather have Mings in the center where he can point and shout and direct the rest of the back 3.

The 3-4-3 is working very well for us at the moment with our current strengths and weaknesses.

I wonder if Smith would look to make personnel changes in the summer to allow us to go back to his preferred 4-3-3 or if he will build on the current formation?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sne said:

Think it would put too much responsibility on our fullbacks to cover the flanks alone. I like them but they are not THAT good.

And it would also rob us of our best attacking attribute which is the Grealish-Targett interplay.

Might be something to try late in a game if we are chasing a goal, but since I think both El Ghazi and Trez does their best work coming in late as subs I think I rather stay as we play now.

I'd also rather have Mings in the center where he can point and shout and direct the rest of the back 3.

Yes, the layout I have typed it it looks like a 352 but I meant it to look like a 3412, with the 34 being so effective recently it's hard to make any change, maybe keeping TM central and upgrading KH. I just want Jack to have a free reign and go anywhere which doesnt lend itself to having wingers too, especially the ones we have that are championship quality to me, so I'd like to see 2 strikers, modern ones not target types, ones with ability, who can take a ball sweet and hold it up and bring players in, ones who can drift wide too when flow allows it, ones that keep opposition defenders and DM's on their toes constantly.

This is all just my opinion of course,  I respect everyone elses opinions too and I'm happy that we finally seem to be on the right path, exciting times.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

Our best formation is the one we're currently playing, we've stopped conceding as many goals, our away form has improved, we're in the top six for form over the last six games, and we've finally beaten one of the leagues better sides. Could be a grave mistake to change it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Our best formation is the one we're currently playing, we've stopped conceding as many goals, our away form has improved, we're in the top six for form over the last six games, and we've finally beaten one of the leagues better sides. Could be a grave mistake to change it now.

I think it's preferable to play 3 at the back with what's available to us right now.  However for more than half of the fixtures in which we've employed our current formation, we've conceded roughly 70% possession in each. We're still conceding in every match that we've used the formation for. Yes, we're more defensively sound and that had to be addressed, but with the 4-3-3 we actually created chances at a rate that put us in the top half. I think Smith will continue to employ whichever formation is suited to our personnel availability but will be recruiting and training with the intention of developing this side's ability on the ball.

17 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I think it's preferable to play 3 at the back with what's available to us right now.  However for more than half of the fixtures in which we've employed our current formation, we've conceded roughly 70% possession in each. We're still conceding in every match that we've used the formation for. Yes, we're more defensively sound and that had to be addressed, but with the 4-3-3 we actually created chances at a rate that put us in the top half. I think Smith will continue to employ whichever formation is suited to our personnel availability but will be recruiting and training with the intention of developing this side's ability on the ball.

Yeah but those 3 came at Leicester (twice) and City. Not a really a fair sample of games. 

• Like 1

So, I think this for our run in.

Reina

Konsa - Engels - Mings

Guilbert - Drinkwater - Nakamba - Targett

Grealish

Samatta - Davis

Subs: Nyland, Hause, Elmo, Luiz, El Ghazi, Trez, Baston

Will we do this?, hell no I think not.

• Like 1

This may be ridiculous and I feel ridiculous for suggesting it but here goes....

Reina

Konsa - Engels - Mings

Guilbert - Drinkwater - Nakamba - Targett

Samatta - Davis  Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Hause, Elmo, Luiz, El Ghazi, Trez, Baston

As Davis and Samatta look well capable of playing centre and running the channels they could interchange a lot and Jack can do his thing

• Like 1

How about playing a traditional Brazilian 4-2-2-2 especially if Konsa is out for a bit.

Reina

Engels              Mings

Guilbert                                                                           Targett

Drinkwater           Nakamba

Douglas Luiz                         Grealish

Samatta                          Davies

3-5-2......the midfield is not good enough......needs to be loaded.

we don't need wingers who are mainly redundant in games, we just need players to cross the ball, that can vary depending on the dynamics, but mainly the wing backs.

many teams in the league, don't play dedicated wingers.....not industrious enough.

If they are like Harvey Barnes fine.....but ours are not.

We have to load our weakest area.

8 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

How about playing a traditional Brazilian 4-2-2-2 especially if Konsa is out for a bit.

Reina

Engels              Mings

Guilbert                                                                           Targett

Drinkwater           Nakamba

Douglas Luiz                         Grealish

Samatta                          Davies

I don't mind it at all. We've beaten Plop couple of years ago with a similar approach. (well actually a diamond). 

Although I won't try that against Spurs, as it's better to keep them quite with 3 cb's. 

Think we've looked pretty decent in our current tactic up to Bournemouth. 

I'd be inclined to play 2 up front and drop El Ghazi though. He offers very little atm. 

But more importantly, Engels for Hause all day long. Damn shame if Konsa is indeed injured. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think we've looked pretty decent in our current tactic up to Bournemouth. 

I'd be inclined to play 2 up front and drop El Ghazi though. He offers very little atm. 

But more importantly, Engels for Hause all day long. Damn shame if Konsa is indeed injured. 

Engels looked lively, I think he can help this formation by building our play. Although they were down to 10 by then and setting back. But still, good to remind us with what he can offer to the team.

Although I won't take Hause out, we've improved on air since he came. For that alone I'd keep him.

Edited by abdulaziz1

15 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Engels looked lively, I think he can help this formation by building our play. Although they were down to 10 by then and setting back. But still, good to remind us with what he can offer to the team.

Although I won't take Hause out, we've improved on air since he came. For that alone I'd keep him.

Thing is, he's incredibly detrimental to the football we're trying to play. I like him, and he's not a bad player. For the price we played he's a bargain, but he isn't what we need for a starter. Distribution has always been woeful. 

• Like 1

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Thing is, he's incredibly detrimental to the football we're trying to play. I like him, and he's not a bad player. For the price we played he's a bargain, but he isn't what we need for a starter. Distribution has always been woeful. 

Do we have another choice? Do you remember how we used to do against corners? Every corner was a nightmare itself.  Its not liking him or not, I don’t think we can afford not to have him for that only.

Â