Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/21 at 23:59

Strangely come away from that with more positives than negatives.

That last 10 minutes was really good; Ramsey and Sanson improved us hugely. They are now knocking on the door for starts. For me Barkley doesn't give us anything in the midfield, especially in games where we struggle for possession.

At the point we are at in our rebuild, missing two key players was always going to be problematic. The lack of depth in the squad means we don't have the options to replace players like Cash and Grealish.

Change it up next weekend, and hope that Grealish is back,

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The first 25 minutes were absolute dogshit. We grew into the game and could have nicked a point, but I think we got what we deserved over the course of the game. Targett MotM for me, and continues the form that has me thinking he's our most improved player this season.

I'd be thinking about two bits of loan business over the next couple of days: Bring Fred home, and send Barkley back.

Next game I want Sanson and Ramsey starting for Barkley and McGinn.

Absolutely agree. I'd also say how much better el ghazi has shown he is than trez. Once trez came on our attack atrophied. And we were forced to essentially play watkins left winger. 

First half hour or so cost us today unfortunately. After I don't think we were bad at all.

Leicester were definitely their to be taken advantage of I feel but without Grealish we lose quite a lot of spark in our forward play. 

I do worry how we're gonna manage without him and Cash going forward. 

Good reaction on the whole after a horrible start. We were always going to struggle without Grealish and Cash as well.

Impressed by Ramsay, looked composed and lively. Contrast that to Barkley. Deserves a start.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485432/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Aston-Villa-Leicester

Biggest odd one for me in there is Elmo's rating but a closer look shows he has the highest amount of tackles and interception for us in the game.

I was not impressed by any one of our subs tbh. I really do think the tactics and team has been somewhat found out and it's not really selection that's the problem.

Without Jack there is no energy or momentum. Barkley clearly isn't match fit. Cash has an intent to his play that Elmo doesn't have. Not Elmo's fault, first start and not up to speed. Emi could have and should have stopped both goals tbh. Ollie feeding off scraps. The 3 week covid break has really Ballsed up momentum. This season every time we get some momentum something happens. Whether this covid break and before new year constant international breaks when we have a big win. Matty Targett best player by a mile today.

Improvement, both collectively and individually, from last time. Could have nicked something, but it’s probably fair they won. It kind of feels like we gave them two easy goals, though, and with that in mind I feel a bit annoyed we lost. 

Barkley got a lot of stick in the match thread, but I thought he was just fine before the break. Faded badly before being rightly subbed off, mind you. I do feel Jacob Ramsey made a decent case for starting our next game. He’s an impressive kid. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dale said:

We got better as it went on. Trezeguet was so poor on the pitch. Sooner keep AEG on who had moments. Barkley poor again. McGinn poor for 60 mins.

This, Trez is a waster of a substitute.

Much better second half, why has McGinn forgotten how to volley the ball? Barkley wasn't the worst midfield player but that isn't saying much.

Ramsey and Sanson should start against Leeds.

Mings and Targett were superb I thought, Traore had some decent moments, everyone else poor to average. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The issue with Barkley is that the team is sacrificed for him. He isn't a bad player but we are significantly better without him. Look at today, it was night and day when he went off.

Yes this is it for me. Good in flashes but nowhere near enough energy. Leaves the other 2 with too much to do

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

McGinn has to be dropped and Trezeguet has nowhere near the ability required.

I agree going forward Trez wasn't good, but Leicester had no threat down that side once AEG came off.  He just gives that cover that none of our other wide players do

Says it all, the passenger barkley comes off we play a completely different pressing game.

Smith was shocking make no mistake.

Clearly after 25 minutes we needed to take barkley off, he shows literally no sign of wanting to help the team out in any way what so ever. Today was his chance to take on a creative role and he did his can't be bothered unless the ball Is given to me role and when I do get it, I dither and it goes all the way back, make the wrong choice and we lose the ball or mis-control it and give them back.

No sure how many games smith will persist with both barkley and traore on from the start but I'm guessing the stats and results are not in our favour when they have over the last 9 games.

2 pressing midfielders as mcginn went further forward, and we looked a threat and tried to play how we can.

Or go back to barkley standing there doing nothing ? Hmm 

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1485432/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2020-2021-Aston-Villa-Leicester

Biggest odd one for me in there is Elmo's rating but a closer look shows he has the highest amount of tackles and interception for us in the game.

I was not impressed by any one of our subs tbh. I really do think the tactics and team has been somewhat found out and it's not really selection that's the problem.

El Ghazi scoring worse than Luiz, McGinn and Barkley? I'm not having that.

Didn’t watch it, but I'm taking a hazard guess we were shite until Leicester let their foot off the gas.

Barkley was a lazy shit.

Ramsey looked miles better, but only  got a few minutes.

McGinn was alright, but people whine about him anyway.

Â