Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/21 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

good reaction 2nd half. need to take those positives to leeds

Not having a go at all but I just don’t buy this. How often do we have to be crap to get a reaction. We have had plenty of wake up points recently but the rubbish keeps coming. If we start the same team against Leeds, it will happen again. The manager, who of course has been brilliant for us, still needs to start earning his corn. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is not what we need right now!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Drop McGinn, Barkley & Luiz and bring in Sanson, Makamba & Ramsey.

Definitely agree with the first 2 but Luiz is class. Would like to see Nakamba along side him with Sanson and Ramsey ahead until Jack is fit

Goalie should have had the 1st, but very slack in defence in the 1st half, poor going forward.

I thought it was going to be 4 or 5 to Leicester at H/T but we seemed to have more energy in the 2nd half,

Certainly looked better when Barkley AND Luiz went off.#

Leicester are a very good, well balanced team, with very good recruitment, or buys are getting better, and we are nowhere near as far behind them as we was this time last season.

Need a good physical midfielder, and better options than El Ghazi and Trez, neither are bad players, but not good enough to move on.

Konsa was better today

I think Elmohamady  started like a player who had not played for months but improved through out the match.   Barkley was in effective, if I was Dean Smith (I am not)  he would not start the next match purely for what appeared petulant behavior at being subbed.  Did think the team improved after each substitution.     

Lost it effectively in the first 30 minutes and in reality we didn’t have the quality to turn it round. Second half we were a bit better but we only managed 2 shots on target all match so the prospect of us winning this was a bit remote.

A lot of below par performances today but Barkley was obviously the most disappointing.

Had Mings, Targett and Traore in play for MOTM but in the end Targett won it with that exquisite assist as well as his sterling work in left-side defence.

Leicester are one of the sides I look to when thinking about how I’d like to see Villa progress over the next few years. Today was a reminder of how far we have to go. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Agbonla-score said:

All good apart from the comment about McGinn. If we are satisfied with a midfielder’s performance because he puts himself about but doesn’t do anything with the ball, we might as well invite Thor back into a midfield.

Surely we can expect more from our midfielders than that

I thought McGinn was the best of the midfield three, with Luiz not far off him.

When we brought Ramsey on, he and McGinn clicked nicely and kept us on the front foot.

He's not at his best, but he wasn't at all bad today.

• Like 2

Targett motm for me, solid defensively. Barnes had elmos pants round his ankles all day. First half hopeless, second half better, when the second goal went I thought it could get messy so it was good to stay competitive and put up a fight to get back into the match. Ramsey and sanson deserve more game time, Barkley, Luiz and mcginn deserve less game time. Barkleys bank has run outta credit. 

• Like 1

Just go to show that for all the squillions that have been spent in the past 2 years our best player by far is still a person who cost nothing.

Not great but as soon as Grealish was out, not entirely a surprise. Can't give  a team like Leceister a 2 goal headstart.

I have to say my ears did prick up last week when Deano said he wasn't going to look at  the Brighton game as it was so bad  and that we would bounce back.

That might have just been an offhand remark but we all have to admit post Covid restart we have not been really at the races and something needs to be addressed.

Our midfield really need to find something in the next month or so or our season will wimper out.

Should Conor have been loaned out?! At least he has some leadership skills.

Drop Barkley even if he is on a "must play if fit" contract, play Nakamba alongside Luiz to give us greater mobility and energy, move McGinn to attacking midfield which is where he should be playing and start Ramsey alongside McGinn, again for the mobility and energy he provides.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Just go to show that for all the squillions that have been spent in the past 2 years our best player by far is still a person who cost nothing.

Not great but as soon as Grealish was out, not entirely a surprise. Can't give  a team like Leceister a 2 goal headstart.

I have to say my ears did prick up last week when Deano said he wasn't going to look at  the Brighton game as it was so bad  and that we would bounce back.

That might have just been an offhand remark but we all have to admit post Covid restart we have not been really at the races and something needs to be addressed.

Our midfield really need to find something in the next month or so or our season will wimper out.

Should Conor have been loaned out?! At least he has some leadership skills.

Hourihane is far more use than Barkley!

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd love to have seen that sulky walk around the pitch from Barkley in front of a full Holte End. 

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have gone well.

He’d have been lynched! 

Whatever his problem is, it’s not a welcome one. Smith really needs to drop him for Leeds. If there’s ever a game that won’t suit a pedestrian sulky arse, then Leeds is it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not having a go at all but I just don’t buy this. How often do we have to be crap to get a reaction. We have had plenty of wake up points recently but the rubbish keeps coming. If we start the same team against Leeds, it will happen again. The manager, who of course has been brilliant for us, still needs to start earning his corn. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is not what we need right now!

Will see how much he has learnt vs Leeds. The tactical mangers leave Leeds for dust, will Smith be any different 2nd game against them??

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Will see how much he has learnt vs Leeds. The tactical mangers leave Leeds for dust, will Smith be any different 2nd game against them??

Don't hold your breath, Bielsa will outsmart clueless Deano again!

Â