Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Leicester

limpid

Match Polls  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/02/21 at 23:59

I actually think Barkley played a bit better today. But I love Ramsey. I love the way he was telling players where to move when to move etc. He looked so comfortable on the ball. Same with Sanson.

In the second half we looked better because Douglas Luiz didn't move from the number 6 position. He also improved as a result. Alex Scott picked up on it and I've been saying this for a while. 

Harvey Barnes is the winger we need. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Will see how much he has learnt vs Leeds. The tactical mangers leave Leeds for dust, will Smith be any different 2nd game against them??

That’s a good point. You have to battle and sit deep against Leeds and hit them hard on the break. If they start well they are very hard to stop. You need to stay in the match and frustrate them. I don’t think we have this in our locker but I would love Dean and the boys to prove me wrong!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Drop Barkley even if he is on a "must play if fit" contract, play Nakamba alongside Luiz to give us greater mobility and energy, move McGinn to attacking midfield which is where he should be playing and start Ramsey alongside McGinn, again for the mobility and energy he provides.

Who are you dropping to make room for four in the middle?

Nakamba, Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn.

5 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Drop Barkley even if he is on a "must play if fit" contract, play Nakamba alongside Luiz to give us greater mobility and energy, move McGinn to attacking midfield which is where he should be playing and start Ramsey alongside McGinn, again for the mobility and energy he provides.

Barkley is on a 'Must Play if Shit' contract!

Game was over at 25mins. Leicester didn’t need to get out of second gear. We improved second half as we had a better shape defensively but without Jack we just can’t look like creating chances. 

Just felt all too comfortable for Leicester throughout. Traore looked a threat and Targett was very good for us. All feels bleak without our wonder kid and Smith’s evasiveness about the injury just suggests we’ll once again lose him for months. 

Trezzy is absolutely useless. Offers so little. Barkley is hugely ineffective in every game but he’s not alone. We’ve lost the midfield in every game since our Covid outbreak and McGinn and Luiz have all been very poor and off the pace. Time to change it and bring in Sanson, Nakamba and Ramsey for Barkley. Enough is enough. 

It’s a transitional year for us and real strength in depth will only come with time but I really fear for us without Grealish as we lack the belief, craft and ability to threaten the opposition. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

McGinn’s drop in performance levels coincides with Barkley’s inclusion. He is still working hard but is not reaching the levels he did before because different demands are being made of him, I’m not even sure he fully understands what his role is and even if he does he can’t fulfill it properly because of problems caused by Barkley’s poor performances.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The first 25 minutes were absolute dogshit. We grew into the game and could have nicked a point, but I think we got what we deserved over the course of the game. Targett MotM for me, and continues the form that has me thinking he's our most improved player this season.

I'd be thinking about two bits of loan business over the next couple of days: Bring Fred home, and send Barkley back.

Next game I want Sanson and Ramsey starting for Barkley and McGinn.

I too want Ramsey to be given his wings.

Terrible first half but improved in the second (obvious statement of the day).

McGinn gave the ball away far too many times today, maybe needs a rest in next match for Nakamba.

I'd pick Ramsey over Barkley at the moment, he (Barkley) seems to be picked regardless of how he plays....can only assume there's something in his loan contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smg said:

McGinn’s drop in performance levels coincides with Barkley’s inclusion. He is still working hard but is not reaching the levels he did before because different demands are being made of him, I’m not even sure he fully understands what his role is and even if he does he can’t fulfill it properly because of problems caused by Barkley’s poor performances.

He is not a CDM....his attributes are not akin to a CDM.....we need to sign a good one.

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We are Grealish FC

No point denying it.

Look completely lost of creativity without him

We’ve looked out of form for half a dozen games and Jack was in all of them before today.  

Jack obviously steps us up another like he would for any team but this game wasn’t lost because Jack wasn’t playing it was due to sloppy goals and an awful 25 minutes.

Yes may have been able back in it with Jack but we basically started the game 2-0 down and then too many players off form.  Grealish has created more chances than any player in the league so obviously we will miss him but I don’t think we are Grealish FC like we were last season.

Given that this was our first game without Jack and the fact we were playing a good Leicester team I don’t think it was too bad a performance from the players. McGinn wasn’t great but he certainly wasn’t that bad either and we know Barkley is either out of form or just struggling for fitness, but I can still understand picking him in the hope of the occasional flash of magic(even if I do disagree).

However bringing Trezeguet on, who offers zero attacking threat, when we’re chasing the game and need a goal is completely inexcusable. Why isn’t someone  having a word with Deano? Or am I missing something?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, smg said:

I think he is more of  a natural B2B players than DM but we can't do that with Grealish and Barkley starting.

Could maybe chuck in Nakamba for Barkley to sit and tackle to give him more freedom. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I actually think Barkley played a bit better today. But I love Ramsey. I love the way he was telling players where to move when to move etc. He looked so comfortable on the ball. Same with Sanson.

In the second half we looked better because Douglas Luiz didn't move from the number 6 position. He also improved as a result. Alex Scott picked up on it and I've been saying this for a while. 

Harvey Barnes is the winger we need. 

He's mustard isn't he ? The fact that Leicester are getting goals from him & Maddison  has drastically improved Leicester.

Not sure if Southgate is convinced though.

Just now, gurru991 said:

He's mustard isn't he ? The fact that Leicester are getting goals from him & Maddison  has drastically improved Leicester.

Not sure if Southgate is convinced though.

Southgate is an idiot. Barnes Grealish Maddison should be starting for England. 

• Like 1

Â