Pre match thread

Don_Simon

44 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I think we might see Sanson in for McGinn here. 

Or Barkley, I wouldn't be against it, Sanson must be raring to go and surely would grasp a starting opportunity with both hands.

What starting XI would we all play? I'd go with this:

Emi

Cash       Konsa     Mings    Targett

Nakamba

McGinn Sanson

Traore           Watkins         Jack

Subs: Heaton, Elmo, Luiz, Barkley, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Davis

I like the way Brighton play but I believe they're a bit soft. Their league position proves this. We have to be solid in the midfield. In the home game I felt they went through us too easily even though we should have had about 5 goals because of all the chances we missed. 

Hopefully Nakamba will just sit in front of the defence and kick em. I don't care if he kicks the ball or their players as long he kicks someone. 

..........................Martinez..........................

Cash..........Konsa........Mings........Targett

.............Nakamba............Luiz...................

Traore...............McGinn................Grealish

..........................Watkins.............................

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I see that turd Lawro has forecast us to lose - again- 2-1.

If his predictions were correct this season we would have a measly 23 points.

What a bum-boil.

Edit oh and Leeds? They'd be on 49.

FORTY **** NINE.

I dont think its possible to take someone seriously who never predicts that any team will score more than two goals in a game. 

I'd love to know what the reason is for that. Either he hates what hes doing and cant be bothered and just puts 2-1 2-0 1-1 and 1-0 randomly over and over again or he genuinely thinks that no teams are going to score 3 or more goals in matches anymore.

Talk about things that piss you off that shouldn't.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BOF said:

Actually it's probably time for one of my patented (but not really patented) "versus top half" and "versus bottom half" tables to see how we're going.

Games versus the top half of the table

aeba6026ccdeb9f1fe3a21b6434319aa.png

That doesn't look great for 2 reasons.  One is we're not doing particularly well against the top half (PPG) and two is we still have to play more of them than anyone else does. Funnily enough, Brighton are doing remarkably well against the top half this season.  Luckily we're not in the to..... oh bugger...

I blame Arteta for our position in this table. 

If Arsenal were above Leeds we'd be 7th in both tables (I think).

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

..........................Martinez..........................

Cash..........Konsa........Mings........Targett

.............Nakamba............Luiz...................

Traore...............McGinn................Grealish

..........................Watkins.............................

This for me. Perhaps Sanson in for McGinn. 

A win on Saturday evening could take us up to fifth or sixth, depending on the margin of our victory. A draw would see us change places with Spurs again. Our hosts are ten points clear of the bottom three and ten points behind us, having played two more games than we have. It will not be an easy game, as our home defeat against them in November demonstrated, but it is a game that we could really do with winning, if we are to mount a challenge for a top six spot. Brighton seem to be this season's Palace. Pundits and the press like them and the football that they play. They like their manager and the fact that they are one of the plucky "smaller" clubs, their geographical position also seem to help their popularity a tad.  

We have drawn on our last three league visits to Brighton. The last time we lost there was 0-1 back in 1980, during our title winning season. Overall, we have won 10 and have drawn 7 of the 21 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. This is the sort of game that we really need to win to further solidify our place in the top half of the table, but it is also a game that we could so easily lose if we are not quite up for it. A draw would not be a bad result, but after our home defeat we really need to set matters straight and take all three points. I don't see there being too many goals, so another clean sheet for us would be nice. Three points would be even better though. Just win it for us Villa! :flag: 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think Brighton table position is somewhat false.

In terms of xG they've been getting less points than they should.

This sort of nonsense boils my piss. **** "xG" - they have EXACTLY as many points as they 'should'. As do we, and every other team. The table does not lie. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Amazing how under the radar Konsa is . Just watched the Potter pre match press conference where he waxes lyrical about not only our attack but out defence and then namechecks everyone until he says " and whoever partners Mings in defence" . Id it because he doesnt do last ditch defending so no one notices? 

Perhaps he means that it makes no difference whether it's Konsa or Hausa (or even Elmo)? 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This sort of nonsense boils my piss. **** "xG" - they have EXACTLY as many points as they 'should'. As do we, and every other team. The table does not lie. 

I totally agree. I do like stats, but at what point to stats stop predicting what’s actually happening and start becoming something in their own right!? The xG thing is odd... what does it matter what expected goals are, it matters how many you score?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I like the way Brighton play but I believe they're a bit soft. Their league position proves this. We have to be solid in the midfield. In the home game I felt they went through us too easily even though we should have had about 5 goals because of all the chances we missed. 

Hopefully Nakamba will just sit in front of the defence and kick em. I don't care if he kicks the ball or their players as long he kicks someone. 

Barkley, up the arse.

• Haha 2