Pre match thread

Don_Simon

Brighton are a pretty decent footballing side but it's one of those games where if we play to what we're capable of we should win comfortably. A win would again put us in a pretty strong position tonight, 2 points off Liverpool with 2 games in hand.

So get ready everyone because we're losing this.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Pointing out that they haven't been very good for the most part, doesn't mean I've got something against them. Even most of their fans wanted Potter sacked until recently, although I presume their last few results have changed that for the time being.

They have to be the most inexplicably overrated team going, it's not so much that they're not very good full stop, it's that they're nowhere near as good as the hype and praise that they get would suggest, last three seasons they've finished 15th, 17th, and 15th, and are on course for a similar finish this season, one home win in the whole of 2020, last three home wins in the league have come in 2019, 2020, and 2021, it's not like I'm twisting things to make them look bad, those are the facts.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that we're going to beat them, because we're quite capable of losing to the poorer teams if we're not at our best, but can pretty much be guaranteed that if we do lose today, it won't be long before Brighton regress to their usual form and every time they lose you'll see people remarking 'I can't believe' we managed to lose to these twice'.

Thats why its better to use the form guide as opposed to the league table, for predictions of individual matches.

what they have done in the last 3 seasons, has little bearing on this match....what they have done in the last 6 games, does.

They are currently hard to beat.

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

I really hope we don't lose against this lot, that would be embarassing. Their name sounds so...amateurish. "Brighton and Hove Albion" sounds like a non-league pub team. 

I remember reading somebody's WWII memoirs where the writer had been suspected of being a German spy, and this officer threw some fast word associations at him, that an Englishman should know, and a German probably wouldn't - like "fish and... (chips)", "Flanagan and... (Allen)", "Fortnum and... (Mason)", etc. He was going fine until they got to "Brighton and..." and it took him a while to remember "Hove Albion". 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I remember reading somebody's WWII memoirs where the writer had been suspected of being a German spy, and this officer threw some fast word associations at him, that an Englishman should know, and a German probably wouldn't - like "fish and... (chips)", "Flanagan and... (Allen)", "Fortnum and... (Mason)", etc. He was going fine until they got to "Brighton and..." and it took him a while to remember "Hove Albion". 

I would have answered in such context.......Pier.lol

1 hour ago, Gompedyret said:

I really hope we don't lose against this lot, that would be embarassing. Their name sounds so...amateurish. "Brighton and Hove Albion" sounds like a non-league pub team. Like if U2 were to call themselves "U2 and a Fokker 70 and perhaps a small helicopter as well". 

Also footballing reasons.

Sounds better than West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wonderers. 

I wasn't talking about how they're 'currently' doing, I was obviously talking about how they've been doing overall in retaliation to those that talk about them as if they're much better than they really are, and that's not a recent thing either after they beat Liverpool and Spurs, people have been overrating them for much longer. I wouldn't be referencing their form since the start of this season and in previous seasons, if I was just speaking of current form, and I made allowances for the fact that they've had a few good results but that doesn't suddenly make them a good team, only the bottom three have won fewer games than them, even if they win today which wouldn't surprise me at all, that would still be the case.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Pointing out that they haven't been very good for the most part, doesn't mean I've got something against them. Even most of their fans wanted Potter sacked until recently, although I presume their last few results have changed that for the time being.

They have to be the most inexplicably overrated team going, it's not so much that they're not very good full stop, it's that they're nowhere near as good as the hype and praise that they get would suggest, last three seasons they've finished 15th, 17th, and 15th, and are on course for a similar finish this season, one home win in the whole of 2020, last three home wins in the league have come in 2019, 2020, and 2021, it's not like I'm twisting things to make them look bad, those are the facts.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that we're going to beat them, because we're quite capable of losing to the poorer teams if we're not at our best, but can pretty much be guaranteed that if we do lose today, it won't be long before Brighton regress to their usual form and every time they lose you'll see people remarking 'I can't believe' we managed to lose to these twice'.

No they didn’t! 

I don’t think they are over hyped at all, no ones said they are a top half team, just that they played nice football and the Expected Goals stat backs that up, they are building a no f infrastructure behind the scenes and I would imagine they will be a premier league team for a fair few years yet.

What they are doing is gradually building something (in the background not currently on the pitch) which will beat fruits in the next few years with Potter at the helm.