Pre match thread

Don_Simon

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Deano also brought up their xG. He says it's a good indication of performance levels. I tend to agree. The period in November when we lost 4 out of 5 games I think, we actually performed really well in them and were unlucky to lose a few. Our xG was right up there to reflect that.

With little knowledge, and without the benefit of xG, I actually know whether we perform well or badly. 😀

• Like 1

I really hope we don't lose against this lot, that would be embarassing. Their name sounds so...amateurish. "Brighton and Hove Albion" sounds like a non-league pub team. Like if U2 were to call themselves "U2 and a Fokker 70 and perhaps a small helicopter as well". 

Also footballing reasons.

• Like 1

you know what i find weird, in 21 games we have won only one ONCE if we concede a goal.....

11 wins, 10 of them clean sheet wins, the only win where we conceded was the 7-2 versus Liverpool.

Of all other games where we conceded any goals....at all, we drew 2 and lost 8.

Thats weird....

• Shocked 2

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

you know what i find weird, in 21 games we have won only one ONCE if we concede a goal.....

11 wins, 10 of them clean sheet wins, the only win where we conceded was the 7-2 versus Liverpool.

Thats weird....

Yeah.....

Isn't it ,all the more reason, to start cautiously.....another stat is they score mainly in the first 15 minutes....start tight, settle in, then catch them on the break.

just like Leicester today.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Thats weird....

That’s mental, but surely not a stat that will persist throughout the entire season...at least that is what I will now tell myself if they score.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

With little knowledge, and without the benefit of xG, I actually know whether we perform well or badly. 😀

Its funny, after 60 years following them, you tend to get the hang of it.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, useless said:

I had a look at a 'XG' table and according that Sheffield United who are thirteen points from safety shouldn't even be in the relegation zone, and Burnley who are eight points clear of relegation should be in the bottom three.

It probably has it's uses for those in the game, but one of those uses isn't to tell you that team that's near the bottom of the league and that have been near the bottom of the league ever since promotion, and had only won one game at home in 2020 and have only won one at home this season, are in fact quite good and just 'unlucky'.

They've had a few good results of late but fact of the matter is Brighton haven't been very good for a while now, and are where they deserve to be in the table, it's not like they've been much better in previous seasons and this season is some sort of anomaly.

All that said I wouldn't be at all surprised if they beat us tomorrow, it seems almost inevitable as would be typical of some of our results against similar sides this season, but come the end of the season I'd be surprised if they finished any higher than where they are now, which is fifteenth.

Lol are you sure you don’t have something against the Seaside?

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Thats weird....

It is weird.....but i think its when we go gung ho.

those 10 games in the main, is where teams are more focused in stopping us, primarily, when the initiative is won, they go about scoring goals, and it has worked.

we need to start tight and grow in to the game.....not go all guns blazing seeking the early goal and end up on our arses...on the counter.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Thats weird....

well damn. better keep it tight and organized and punch them in the face on the counter/break.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

But it's 12:00 pm for me ...  so perfect :) 

You can drink while watching ...  but it's a bit early for me :( 

NEVER too early for a beer!

Pointing out that they haven't been very good for the most part, doesn't mean I've got something against them. Even most of their fans wanted Potter sacked until recently, although I presume their last few results have changed that for the time being.

They have to be the most inexplicably overrated team going, it's not so much that they're not very good full stop, it's that they're nowhere near as good as the hype and praise that they get would suggest, last three seasons they've finished 15th, 17th, and 15th, and are on course for a similar finish this season, one home win in the whole of 2020, last three home wins in the league have come in 2019, 2020, and 2021, it's not like I'm twisting things to make them look bad, those are the facts.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that we're going to beat them, because we're quite capable of losing to the poorer teams if we're not at our best, but can pretty much be guaranteed that if we do lose today, it won't be long before Brighton regress to their usual form and every time they lose you'll see people remarking 'I can't believe' we managed to lose to these twice'.