Pre match thread

Don_Simon

This will be a good test. Brighton don’t really score many goals, but they’re also not really conceding many either. They play a certain way/philosophy in which I don’t envisage they’ll go out of their way to double up on our better players, ie I don’t think they’ll change their way of playing to try and counter what we have. This is the 1st game for quite some time where we’ve had a full week to prepare, so it’ll be interesting to see our starting lineup and how we then play. I’d think we’re going to revert to the starting 11 we’ve generally come to accept as our best, so I expect to see Douglas Luiz back. We mustn’t allow ourselves to be outnumbered too heavily in midfield, Brighton go with 3 at the back which could allow them to overload in midfield, so I think McGinniesta has to be prepared to move further forward. I am concerned about having Barkley in the starting lineup at the moment, I worry he might not have the work rate required against this Brighton team in midfield. I’d seriously be considering starting Nakamba and pushing McGinn into Barkleys position. 

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

This will be a good test. Brighton don’t really score many goals, but they’re also not really conceding many either. They play a certain way/philosophy in which I don’t envisage they’ll go out of their way to double up on our better players, ie I don’t think they’ll change their way of playing to try and counter what we have. This is the 1st game for quite some time where we’ve had a full week to prepare, so it’ll be interesting to see our starting lineup and how we then play. I’d think we’re going to revert to the starting 11 we’ve generally come to accept as our best, so I expect to see Douglas Luiz back. We mustn’t allow ourselves to be outnumbered too heavily in midfield, Brighton go with 3 at the back which could allow them to overload in midfield, so I think McGinniesta has to be prepared to move further forward. I am concerned about having Barkley in the starting lineup at the moment, I worry he might not have the work rate required against this Brighton team in midfield. I’d seriously be considering starting Nakamba and pushing McGinn into Barkleys position. 

We definately need some industry in this game, they can scrap for the ball....I agree with you ,I think they will stick to their own game.

They have taken a few scalps lately and its usually by the odd goal either way.

We need to be up for this and as you suggest, we can't afford passengers.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We definately need some industry in this game, they can scrap for the ball....I agree with you ,I think they will stick to their own game.

We need to be up for this and as you say, we can't afford passengers.

17 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Me in the return fixture ...

On 09/11/2020 at 11:09, BOF said:

I think we win this. I think we win precisely because Brighton play the kind of big team football we seem to thrive against.  They're not doing well, and they've been massively unlucky, but I still don't think we suit them.  Although Maupay is due a goal and the Brentford link to Smith makes it timely for him. I think it's 3-1 Villa.

Shortly before losing 2-1.

Not saying you're wrong. I saw the same thing. Just saying what they do seems to work, and they're better than they were in November. Hopefully so are we.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

We need to be up for this and as you say, we can't afford passengers.

100%. 👍 This is most definitely a game where we’ll have to earn the right to play, and regrettably I don’t think we can carry Barkley from the start at this moment in time. I think he’d be a hell of an option off the bench if required later in the game if Brighton are committing more players further forward. I think McGinn does have the ability to press from the front and get closer to Watkins, and with Brightons 3 at the back that should prove useful 

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

100%. 👍 This is most definitely a game where we’ll have to earn the right to play, and regrettably I don’t think we can carry Barkley from the start at this moment in time. I think he’d be a hell of an option off the bench if required later in the game if Brighton are committing more players further forward. I think McGinn does have the ability to press from the front and get closer to Watkins, and with Brightons 3 at the back that should prove useful 

I just love that description...it encapsulates a huge chunk of what I believe is significant in a game.

Edited by TRO

Although they lost to a last minute goal last season, I thought Brighton were one of the best teams I'd seen play at Villa Park.

In my opinion it was only their early sending off that stopped them from winning that game.  Very confident in the way they play and in each other to receive the ball.  If I recall correctly they seemed to play through the middle a lot last season, from keeper, to centre halves, to midfield and then spread wider once they had engineered the ball forward.

Villa have improved massively this season so this could be a very good game.

I'd take another Southampton/Leicester/Wolves last minute win, but I'd love it if we could put 4 past them just to make the last few minutes a bit easier on my nerves.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

We're still not great on the front foot.  If you loosely define 'front foot' as having more than 50% possession we've had 10 games on the front foot and 11 games on the back foot this season and the difference in results is huge.

Games on the front foot (>50% possession)

P  W  D  L   F  A  PTS  GD   PPG
10  3  1  6  15 16   10  -1   1.0

Games on the back foot (<50% possession)

P  W  D  L   F  A  PTS  GD   PPG
11  8  1  2  21  8   25 +13  2.27

It kind of shows the difference between Grealish being marked (Front foot...unless they are mad) and free (On the break)!

• Like 1

You can slightly temper the above by saying that 2 of our more impressive wins this season were with 49.5% possession so close enough to front foot.  Kind of in that middle bit of neither front nor back foot.

That was the 1-0 victories away to Leicester and Wolves. Stats are according to Sky Sports.

If dean decided to play barkley as a 10 against brighton we are going to struggle to contain them in the midfield.

I would much prefer nakamba in the midfield for this one as we need to be solid in the centre of the pitch.

This is going to be a tough match make no mistake..we got to be beating teams like brighton as we have a lot of tougher matches upcoming

Brighton are in a decent little run of form but the nature of form for teams in that region of the table is that it tends to fluctuate quite frequently, so hopefully we're the defeat they're due in the league.

Expect a tight one either way, I think they're a side that are greater than the sum of their parts. Don't have a bad side by any means but it's also not much to write home about relative to others in the league, but you can see how well-drilled they are and it's reflected in how they don't actually lose many games for a team in their position.

Ultimately I think the onus is on us here, you know what you get with Brighton but we have the better side and the higher ceiling so if we perform as we can do then it could be another big 3 points.

Amazing how under the radar Konsa is . Just watched the Potter pre match press conference where he waxes lyrical about not only our attack but out defence and then namechecks everyone until he says " and whoever partners Mings in defence" . Id it because he doesnt do last ditch defending so no one notices?