The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

On 26/06/2022 at 18:14, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Ramsey - Luiz - Kamara

McGinn to rotate with Ramsey and Luiz perhaps.

Nakamba and Iroegbunam as back-up.

Looks a little light though especially if Sanson leaves, we still need a CM.

Ease Iroegbunam in, he looks like he’s going to be a top player. Potentially, Iroegbunam-Ramsey-Kamara could be a top 6 midfield

• Like 2

I would be curious to try a 4-2-3-1 with Luiz and Kamara holding behind Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey. Probably not against top opposition, where a 3 would be more solid, but certainly against bottom table opposition.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Right now, who's our best 3? Unfortunately, I don't see a change in formation so it's likely to be the 3 in midfield with 2 behind the striker. 

I'd go with...

Ramsey--Kamara--Sanson

this tbh.

But it wont be, i would quite literally bet 100 english pounds on it.

honestly tho, i might even put Buendia in there if Bailey/Couts take 2 of the forward 3.

I was at the game yesterday and Luiz was poor, looked good against United but undone that good work yesterday but that’s his problem, consistency. Would still probably start him and Kamara against Bournemouth though. 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

this tbh.

But it wont be, i would quite literally bet 100 english pounds on it.

honestly tho, i might even put Buendia in there if Bailey/Couts take 2 of the forward 3.

It will be McGinn Kamara and Ramsey I imagine. Maybe Luiz in for Ramsey.

No way Sanson starts against Bournemouth. 

Id actually be interested to see Coutinho play as an 8. He’s very good on the ball and constantly looking to move us forward. It would also allow Buendia to start as a 10 alongside Bailey. 

Unfortunately, in our system though, the midfielders are expected to cover the fullbacks as they attack so no chance seeing either Buendia or Coutinho as an 8 anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It will be McGinn Kamara and Ramsey I imagine. Maybe Luiz in for Ramsey.

No way Sanson starts against Bournemouth. 

Id actually be interested to see Coutinho play as an 8. He’s very good on the ball and constantly looking to move us forward. It would also allow Buendia to start as a 10 alongside Bailey. 

Unfortunately, in our system though, the midfielders are expected to cover the fullbacks as they attack so no chance seeing either Buendia or Coutinho as an 8 anytime soon. 

all these quality players and we play that frickin formation.....

:sad face:

• Haha 1

I think it will be (Kamara, McGinn and Luiz) for the first game. Might start Ramsey for Luiz but I’m not sure about that.

McGinn as a captain means a lot for Gerrard. It’s McGinn place to lose rather than the other way round.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I think it will be (Kamara, McGinn and Luiz) for the first game. Might start Ramsey for Luiz but I’m not sure about that.

McGinn as a captain means a lot for Gerrard. It’s McGinn place to lose rather than the other way round.

True. Doesn’t mean it isn’t nonsense. 

12 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

We need Ramsey to develop this season. He is the only midfielder we have who likes getting in the box, and running off the CF. He has goals in him

He has more competition this season with Luiz seemingly playing as an #8.  Hopefully last season wasn't a one off, or his progress might stall.

If we're going with 2 10's again, I'd like to see Ramsey tried as one of them for a few games. Coutinho/Buendia as the creative force. Ramsey as the athletic, pressing, bursting, beyond the defence type. I have a feeling that he would run riot when running on to through balls from either of those two.

It shouldn't be "this is our starting three". It should be "these are the strengths and weaknesses of our upcoming opponents, Player X can nullify this and take advantage of that, and likewise with Player Y, while Player Z isn't a good fit for these opponents". Unfortunately, we seem to prefer a pretty rigid, same as always system.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, a-k said:

It shouldn't be "this is our starting three". It should be "these are the strengths and weaknesses of our upcoming opponents, Player X can nullify this and take advantage of that, and likewise with Player Y, while Player Z isn't a good fit for these opponents". Unfortunately, we seem to prefer a pretty rigid, same as always system.

Completely agree.

Kamara is a lock for me, we need someone like him there no matter what. The other two spots should be decided on what the game plan is, low possession and hitting teams on the counter then go with McGinn and Ramsey, control the game and build attacks slowly then Luiz and Sanson are better options.

If we want to play Coutinho and Buendia then we need the full backs to fly forward or else they won't have enough options, in which case a much more solid and tactically aware midfield 3 are needed.

As you said, I fully expect to see the same players rolled out week in week out no matter what. McGinn being made captain means he will be in the starting 11 almost every game.

13 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Completely agree.

Kamara is a lock for me, we need someone like him there no matter what. The other two spots should be decided on what the game plan is, low possession and hitting teams on the counter then go with McGinn and Ramsey, control the game and build attacks slowly then Luiz and Sanson are better options.

If we want to play Coutinho and Buendia then we need the full backs to fly forward or else they won't have enough options, in which case a much more solid and tactically aware midfield 3 are needed.

As you said, I fully expect to see the same players rolled out week in week out no matter what. McGinn being made captain means he will be in the starting 11 almost every game.

We can play both and still have width, but not in our system... I've always been a big fan of 4-2-3-1 and I would like to see something like this:

Martinez

Cash-Carlos-Mings-Digne

Kamara-Nakamba

Bailey-Buendia-Coutinho

Ings

Here we have width from fullbacks and from Bailey/Coutinho playing out wide, yet all three of what I would term our "BBC" (pun and incoming gifs intended) can drive at players, create, and interchange, and are protected by two holding mids behind. I put Nakamba in there mostly as a filler as besides Kamara he is the only other senior DM, but I do think he would be useful in that role/formation.

I think Kamara and Luiz behind McGinn.

I think the one of those most under threat ought to be McGinn from Ramsey, but McGinn's selection as Captain suggests that he's won that battle.

If we're still in the market, I think we could do with more competition in the deeper roles for Luiz and Kamara - as promising as Iroegbunam is, it would still be a big gamble having him start a full season, and for me Nakamba's lack of ability on the ball means there's a drop off in quality if we have to bring him in.

• Like 1

It will most likely be Kamara with Mcginn and Ramsey, it will be awful. absolutely no ball retention from Ramsey and McGinn ( passing is not their strong point is it?! ) - would like to see Luiz in place of McGinn, but this is not happening, also you can guarantee Coutinho is a shoe in to start, with Buendia on the bench! 

think Ramsay had a quiet pre-season and is possibly the easiest to drop from Gerrards perspective. Sanson has been good but dont see him getting a start anytime soon. 

Think it will be McGinn - Kamara - Luiz this weekend. Ramsay and Sanson both excellent choices off the bench against tiring opposition

I think we are going to see minutes spread around much more this season and with the 5 sub rule change more changes on the 60 min mark which means in the midfield there will be 5 or 6 players getting plenty of game time.

We are used to playing around 42 games a season due to going out of the cups early. I'd imagine the aim this season is to be playing 45+ games and then beyond that 55+ games with the addition of European games. 

I don't see us having a set go to 3 in the midfield or in the front 3. I think we'll often see changes from game to game and within games.

• Like 1

Â