The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

11 hours ago, Indigo said:

Carlos Sanchez as well, probably a couple of others in there that could be argued too.

good at spotting them, aren't we?😀

no wonder some fans are not convinced.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't disagree in principle.....but when you say another body, that means you lose one from some where else.....and teams will exploit that.

players have to individually play well, to create the collective performance, too.

The other body would have been the tip of the diamond being slightly deeper and then having two people up front to use and keep hold of the ball, so in effect not losing anyone.

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Whelan more of a DLP than a proper 'DM'. He was underappreciated though.

Whelan a deep lying playmaker?

When I think of a DLP I think of Pirlo, Xabi, players who can initiate and control the tempo of how the game will go from deep, and yet impact proceedings further forward with a single decision and move. 

Whelan was an assured simple short passer but I saw him as a ball winner and nothing more.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

When I think of a DLP I think of Pirlo, Xabi, players who can initiate and control the tempo of how the game will go from deep, and yet impact proceedings further forward with a single decision and move. 

Whelan was an assured simple short passer but I saw him as a ball winner and nothing more.

I never really saw him as a great ball winner though. His passing was better than his ball winning for me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

The problem is with midfielders, the fans see so much different, from each other, hence the debates get cross wires....and opinions get confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sanson - Douglas - Buendia

In my opinion the above should be our starting three in midfield for the rest of the campaign. Most importantly they all fit our style of play. All three want the ball, have great close control, pass well and, most importantly, work very hard and can press with intensity when required. Ramsey and McGinn can then come off the bench to add guile, energy and spark both when leading or chasing a game. Sanson on the right of the three can hustle with Cash and get into those deeper crossing positions he seems to favour while Buendia can operate on the left and cut inside to combine with Coutinho when needed.

I'd also look to use McGinn in an advanced position and rely more on Iroegbunam and Chukwuemeka to come in and play instead running Ramsey into the ground or shoehorning McGinn into a role he clearly isn't suited for. However after the substitution of Sanson today and his persistence in using McGinn as a deep lying midfielder I have absolutely no faith in Gerrard to even consider any of this. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him out the door at this point because his naivety and reliance on his favourite shiny square pegs in clearly round holes is alarming.

• Like 1

We seriously need 2 amazing central midfielders. I don’t care if we don’t sign anyone else. Our midfield undoes everything, every game. I was looking at Leicester’s line up and as much as I think they’re bang average as a side, every single one of their midfield 4 walks into our team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We seriously need 2 amazing central midfielders. I don’t care if we don’t sign anyone else. Our midfield undoes everything, every game. I was looking at Leicester’s line up and as much as I think they’re bang average as a side, every single one of their midfield 4 walks into our team. 

Yeah, we need our own version of Rice & Soucek, or something similar, some real power & steel, but also able to play.

Although Gerrard seems to like 1 x DM, so just one of them if thats the case.....

I think it should be Ramsey, a new no.8 and a new no.6.

What was the old saying, attackers win you games, defenders win you championships. 

We are far to easy to score against because our midfielders are so weak. 

12 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah, we need our own version of Rice & Soucek, or something similar, some real power & steel, but also able to play.

Although Gerrard seems to like 1 x DM, so just one of them if thats the case.....

I think it should be Ramsey, a new no.8 and a new no.6.

That person is Kalvin Phillips and I will bang this drum for eternity.

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Yeah Ndidi and Tielemans cost around 50m IIRC. 

That's the sort of quality we need but feels like we'll sign just one for that sort of fee who won't improve us that much.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah Ndidi and Tielemans cost around 50m IIRC. 

That's the sort of quality we need but feels like we'll sign just one for that sort of fee who won't improve us that much.

Leicester are 1 place infront of us 

Just now, messi11 said:

Leicester are 1 place infront of us 

They've had a drop this season no doubt but Tielemans-Ndidi also given them an FA cup and two 5th place finishes since 2019 so it's a little bit more proven at top level than what we have.

Â