The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, supermon said:

Kamara, Luiz and Sanson would probably make a better midfield 3 

This is definitely our most balanced midfield with Ramsey rotating for Luiz/Sanson

Sadly our manager is a clown

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

This is definitely our most balanced midfield with Ramsey rotating for Luiz/Sanson

Sadly our manager is a clown

Maybe change it to 4231 or even 352 try something different if it ain't  working that's what good managers do find a system to fit players 

I don't think you can play a 3 with Ramsey / McGinn to start with but having them on the wrong side for their stronger foot doesn't help ! 

Fundermentally as per pix above this isnt just about players it's the coaching and tactics .They are playing in the positions intstructed that's the key issue.

• Like 2

Rename this to The Midfield One. McGinn and Ramsey are not playing in the midfield. Whoever we replace them with will have the same issue. Systems gotta go and soon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Think we need to change from a 3 in there 4231 I'd give nakamba another go with kamara as the 2 holding we would be much more solid 

That’s interesting. We had our best run of form under Gerrard when Nakamba was starting, before he got injured. Gerrard even said that he was an important player for us. Since then he hasn’t been given a sniff!

I actually don’t think that he is the answer. He is just not PL standard but he certainly offers more physicality, energy and passion into the middle of the park.

I think we need a bigger, better version of Nakamba. I thought that this would be the first purchase we made in the summer and yet we still wait. I did wonder whether Tim had progressed so much in the summer that Gerrard thought he was ready and yet he isn’t even making the squad! It’s all a bit odd and very frustrating.

I will remain in hope up until the end of the window but if this is not properly addressed then Gerrard will be gone before he gets chance to address it again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

It’s incredible we’re playing premier league football without a functioning midfield. 70 minutes today before we brought on our only other possession based capable midfielder.  It’s hard not to feel bad for kamara, he must be panicking now. 

E3301F0A-CBBF-4E58-A3F4-182E40CDC3DA.jpeg

One of the Villa YouTube channels showed the average position of yesterday's game and there was not a single player in that middle of the pitch. 

It looks the same as the Bournemouth game. 

I don't get it. What advantage does Gerrard see having our midfield play the way they do?

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

That’s interesting. We had our best run of form under Gerrard when Nakamba was starting, before he got injured. Gerrard even said that he was an important player for us. Since then he hasn’t been given a sniff!

I actually don’t think that he is the answer. He is just not PL standard but he certainly offers more physicality, energy and passion into the middle of the park.

I think we need a bigger, better version of Nakamba. I thought that this would be the first purchase we made in the summer and yet we still wait. I did wonder whether Tim had progressed so much in the summer that Gerrard thought he was ready and yet he isn’t even making the squad! It’s all a bit odd and very frustrating.

I will remain in hope up until the end of the window but if this is not properly addressed then Gerrard will be gone before he gets chance to address it again. 

This much is true.

If Gerrard has even an ounce of intelligence or footballing nous, he’ll be banging the door down for at least one new central midfielder before the window closes.

Unfortunately, I don’t just think it’s the players in central midfield that are the problem. It’s a big part because McGinn is f***** rubbish and Ramsey is young and out of form. It’s more the system. Playing central midfield in this system is akin to a fairground ride - f***** mental. You’re kind of asked to cover the fullback and support the attack whilst not actually doing anything in the middle of the pitch. I don’t envy any player that comes here and asked to play as a central midfielder in Gerrards system. 

We have an awful central midfield. We all know that, but it isn’t going to get any better until Gerrard leaves I fear. 

• Like 1

Even if we had bought Kamara at market rate rather than a free say at 35 mill our midfield would have only cost 37.7 million yesterday. 

Spent 80 million on our starting back 4 . 

Spent 90 million on our starting front 3 

Spent 2.7 mill on our starting midfield. 

Money isnt everything but you do tend to get better performances out of more expensive players.. and even if you have a freebie and an academy product that should then leave more money to spend on a better player. 

Spent 39 million on our central midfield since we got promoted with an actual net spend of 19 million. 

2 hours ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Think we need to change from a 3 in there 4231 I'd give nakamba another go with kamara as the 2 holding we would be much more solid 

yeah i agree with this, we can have a solid base and let Sarr, Bailey, Buendia, coutinho, ings and watkins concentrate on attacking, whatever the combination of these players are.

Just now, AVFCforever1991 said:

yeah i agree with this, we can have a solid base and let Sarr, Bailey, Buendia, coutinho, ings and watkins concentrate on attacking, whatever the combination of these players are.

Personally, I didn’t think a 4-2-3-1 is the way to go yet. I think we need to sure things up a little and play a 4-3-3. Unfortunately, that means leaving some good attacking talent on the bench.

Id be inclined to play Luiz, Kamara and Irroegbunam/Ramsey. You can then take your pick of Coutinho, Bailey, Sarr, Buendia behind either Ings or Watkins. 

We absolutely have to get players playing in the middle of the pitch again. Or at least standing there. Novel idea, I know. 

3 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

If we cant for whatever reason get another holder then I would be relatively happy with Dougie in next to Kamara and again let the rest loose.

Edited by andyjsg
Can’t
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, andyjsg said:

If we cant for whatever reason get another holder then I would be relatively happy with Dougie in next to Kamara and again let the rest loose.

Yeah ideally we sign another DM to compliment Kamara, but I feel Dougie could do a good job next to Kamara if we don't get that DM we're screaming out for!

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

4 -2 -3 -1 

Kamara Tim

Louis       Buendia      ???????

Watkins  

Best I can come up with.

Based on the current players Luis to play with Kamara

Buendia on the right, Bailey on the left.

Central player to change based on who we are playing, could be Ramsey/McGinn/Sanson/Coutinho maybe even Ings as he had his previous best seasons playing in a team with two strikers the other of which was more forward than him

Edited by paul514

Â