The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

On 21/08/2022 at 03:30, andyjsg said:

If we cant for whatever reason get another holder then I would be relatively happy with Dougie in next to Kamara and again let the rest loose.

Or let Dougie go forward.

As I've said in other threads, it doesn't matter if you play Kamara or Dougie as the 6, JJ and McGinn have not worked together as the 8s (or whatever position you want to call them). JJ is a carrier/runner. McGinn's best attributes are defending and (at least in the past) shooting. Neither is a great passer. We don't have a creative player in the midfield to link up with the forwards.

Dougie and Kamara can both pass, but playing them both as 6s in a double pivot or in a midfield three arranged as a 2-1 would waste those abilities. Continue playing the the midfield three as a 1-2, but make Dougie one of the forward players. He's a natural 8 anyway. It seemed to help in the last 15 minutes or so on Saturday. It won't solve all our problems, but it will be an improvement.

12 minutes ago, TomC said:

Or let Dougie go forward.

As I've said in other threads, it doesn't matter if you play Kamara or Dougie as the 6, JJ and McGinn have not worked together as the 8s (or whatever position you want to call them). JJ is a carrier/runner. McGinn's best attributes are defending and (at least in the past) shooting. Neither is a great passer. We don't have a creative player in the midfield to link up with the forwards.

Dougie and Kamara can both pass, but playing them both as 6s in a double pivot or in a midfield three arranged as a 2-1 would waste those abilities. Continue playing the the midfield three as a 1-2, but make Dougie one of the forward players. He's a natural 8 anyway. It seemed to help in the last 15 minutes or so on Saturday. It won't solve all our problems, but it will be an improvement.

The 2 of them couldn't even crack 50 passes completed between them (actually I think they just about hit 50). Kamara alone had about 40 and he was unusually quiet that day.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

I really think Luiz in-front of Tim and Kamara would give us a really good balance and improve possession. 

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

So on balance after this game, 2 of the 3 should be Luiz and Kamara easily. Now, do we go with a 3rd more attacking midfield option? 

According to Steven, Dougie was the worst of the three :(:(:(

12 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

So on balance after this game, 2 of the 3 should be Luiz and Kamara easily. Now, do we go with a 3rd more attacking midfield option? 

it should have been them two and Sanson, its so bizarre that the manager has never tried them then I realise that McGinn is the golden boy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So it looks like we're stuck with the Doug - Ramsey - McGinn midfield for at least a few months: the same midfield that was Deano's demise and maybe is about to be SG's. I don't see any other combination that SG would be willing to try.

A week ago, I wanted Kamara at the 6 with Doug and JJ as the 8s. Now, I'd like to try Donck at the 6 with Doug and JJ as the 8s. But McGinn is, of course, undroppable, so that won't happen.

Maybe SG would be willing to put Donck as the 6 behind JJ and McGinn, but then why did he keep Doug? And that would be an even less creative midfield.

Dan Bardell made an interesting observation on the Villa View podcast about how McGinn and JJ have flipped sides...he argued that McGinn looked more comfortable against Soton back in his traditional position on the left, but that JJ doesn't look as comfortable on the right, since he's the modern cut-inside-on-your-favored-foot sort of player. If you're going to tinker with midfield roles, why not go one step further and play Doug and JJ as the right and left 8s, respectively, and let McGinn play the 6? McGinn is doing better at defending than he is passing the ball right now. That said, I still don't know if I'd be comfortable with McGinn as the sole 6. And I don't see SG doing that, either.

So, I think that we're doomed to the same poor midfield as last year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ramsey - Donk - McGinn looks almost like an anti-possession midfield, but with the new ”no frills” approach maybe that’s the preferred choice? Interesting to see more of Donk’s passing ability and stability on the ball though.

He has made 13 passes in his last 55 minutes of Premier League football with less than 60 percent accuracy

• 1 month later...

Have thought Luiz and A Nother in a double pivot been way to go for ages. Not Mcginn or Ramsey in the 2. No to midfield 3 as prefer the 3-1 in front

Buendia played the Watkins role today loads for Norwich so the 3-1 can be all sorts of combos from Watkins Ings Archer Bailey Buendia Mcginn Ramsey(later 2 in the 10 role only if double pivot behind) 

Edited by Kiwivillan

• 2 months later...

My famous thread!

For the first time ever, I feel it’s something we don’t need to talk about in a negative manner!

We obviously only play two in there at the minute but those two are very good so it isn’t an issue. In fact, it’s the focal point of our team.

Long may it continue.

• Like 3

Â