The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

I'm still hopeful that SG/Lange/Purslow will work their magic on one more top quality CM.

If they can't get there 'A' target over the line, then there's always January just around the corner.

I've been encouraged by one particular aspect of our team play during pre season. I felt that when we used second half subs our performance actually improved rather than diminished as has usually been the case previously.

This bodes well for our use of the five sub rule, and will especially benefit the midfield in my opinion.

On 01/08/2022 at 12:06, OutByEaster? said:

I think Kamara and Luiz behind McGinn.

I think the one of those most under threat ought to be McGinn from Ramsey, but McGinn's selection as Captain suggests that he's won that battle.

If we're still in the market, I think we could do with more competition in the deeper roles for Luiz and Kamara - as promising as Iroegbunam is, it would still be a big gamble having him start a full season, and for me Nakamba's lack of ability on the ball means there's a drop off in quality if we have to bring him in.

I agree with you, but I also think we need "Legs" in there too.

Who is the Frank Carradus or the Des Bremner, or Kevin Richardson, maybe  Conor Gallagher, could give us that.....we need a ratter....I guess Buendia, does a bit of it.

We need energy, intensity and urgency in there somewhere.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree with you, but I also think we need "Legs" in there too.

Who is the Frank Carradus or the Des Bremner, or Kevin Richardson, maybe  Conor Gallagher, could give us that.....we need a ratter....I guess Buendia, does a bit of it.

We need energy, intensity and urgency in there somewhere.

Mcginn is suppose to be our Carradus or Bremner but he doesnt do it enough. 

• Like 1

On 01/08/2022 at 13:05, villabromsgrove said:

I'm still hopeful that SG/Lange/Purslow will work their magic on one more top quality CM.

If they can't get there 'A' target over the line, then there's always January just around the corner.

I've been encouraged by one particular aspect of our team play during pre season. I felt that when we used second half subs our performance actually improved rather than diminished as has usually been the case previously.

This bodes well for our use of the five sub rule, and will especially benefit the midfield in my opinion.

The problem is we keep saying that. Phillips, Bissouma JWP.

Eventually we need to get the first choice for that role 

On 01/08/2022 at 14:05, villabromsgrove said:

SG/Lange/Purslow

Not sure that's our best 3, SG was probably world class but a long time ago, Purslow is lightweight and Lange probably won't last a full 90.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Not sure that's our best 3, SG was probably world class but a long time ago, Purslow is lightweight and Lange probably won't last a full 90.

I have Purslow down as a Robbie Savage type of kicking a player and then running behind the referee

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Has to go Ramsey mcginn kamara plenty of energy and quality in there . Big season for Ramsey going be a top top player Imo

The problem then that we have is that we end up with McGinn and Ramsey both getting caught in attacking positions when teams counter us - with the full backs high up the pitch it leaves us really, really open to counter attacks.

That said, I think it might be what we start the season with.

• Like 3

On 01/08/2022 at 12:15, calcifer said:

It will most likely be Kamara with Mcginn and Ramsey, it will be awful. absolutely no ball retention from Ramsey and McGinn ( passing is not their strong point is it?! ) - would like to see Luiz in place of McGinn, but this is not happening, also you can guarantee Coutinho is a shoe in to start, with Buendia on the bench! 

With Buendia a fitness doubt, he is 100% starting on the bench. I'm not sure it is a genuine fitness doubt, I think it's PR messaging to justify dropping him. 

Sadly, I think all of the above will happen and we'll end up with a team that looks exactly like it did last year, but with a slightly better DM.

This should still be enough to beat Bournemouth, but we should be capable of so much more if we play the right midfield 3.

We want to retain the ball? Play Kamara, Luiz and Sanson. It's simple.

Want to play on the counter attack and rely on wild hopeful balls, play Kamara, McGinn, and Ramsey. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

With Buendia a fitness doubt, he is 100% starting on the bench. I'm not sure it is a genuine fitness doubt, I think it's PR messaging to justify dropping him. 

Sadly, I think all of the above will happen and we'll end up with a team that looks exactly like it did last year, but with a slightly better DM.

This should still be enough to beat Bournemouth, but we should be capable of so much more if we play the right midfield 3.

We want to retain the ball? Play Kamara, Luiz and Sanson. It's simple.

Want to play on the counter attack and rely on wild hopeful balls, play Kamara, McGinn, and Ramsey. 

Oh come on, this is just getting ridiculous now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Oh come on, this is just getting ridiculous now. 

Apologies.  It was based on the official twitter saying "after missing the final friendly against stade rennais through injury he should be available for selection.".

Which is bollocks.  He didn't miss the final friendly because he was injured. He missed it because he played in a behind closed doors match the day before that was clearly designed to get fitness in to players that aren't expected to play in the final pre season friendly anyway.

One exception being Ings, as I genuinely think Gerrard has no clue who he wants to start against Bournemouth. And then Ings came on and looked shattered so was a bit of a pointless exercise for him. 

I've since seen a quote from Gerrard that says he tweaked something in the Fulham game, so maybe he would have still made the bench in France.  But the PR spin behind that message from the official twitter is exactly that.

Edited by MrBlack
Making quote more accurate
  • Confused 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

I genuinely think Gerrard has no clue who he wants to start against Bournemouth.

I hope that he figures it out sharpish.

Edited by sparrow1988

This is what our midfield needs to hear:

spacer.png

We have to improve. Strength, resilience, composure, control and dominance. We have to be better on the ball and not lose it so easily/cheaply/frequently.

I’d like another option but of the right kind of profile - more defensively adept and better at keeping hold of the ball. We lack physicality.

We have enough box to box 8s as it is.

• Haha 1

Jus think playing JJ and McGinn together is asking for trouble. We’re not going to improve in possession or in terms of control. It’s just going to be the same old shit…

Luiz can help Kamara, unsure on Sanson…

Again, we need a physical presence who can aid BK in keeping hold of the ball and allow more patient and precise build up play.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PaulC said:

Mcginn is suppose to be our Carradus or Bremner but he doesnt do it enough. 

I don't think he has the legs for it, not Lithe/Svelte enough for it.

Â