The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This is what our midfield needs to hear:

spacer.png

We have to improve. Strength, resilience, composure, control and dominance. We have to be better on the ball and not lose it so easily/cheaply/frequently.

I’d like another option but of the right kind of profile - more defensively adept and better at keeping hold of the ball. We lack physicality.

We have enough box to box 8s as it is.

I agree this is where Villa have to improve. Not sure physicality is the key though, good technique (and composure) seems a safer way to keep the ball within the team.

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I agree this is where Villa have to improve. Not sure physicality is the key though, good technique (and composure) seems a safer way to keep the ball within the team.

A combination would be ideal. We are a lightweight and relatively weak team, been overpowered and outmuscled many times.

But I agree on technique and composure (as I stated) being the most important thing, that can be combined with other traits that can help too.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Physicality allows you to resist the challenge.....To then be able to apply your good technique and keep the ball.....Messi is only a dot, but he has it, he can resist the disruptors, and stay on the ball more often than not.

How many ball players with good technique are negated by physical players with an intent to play the man, and take the punishment or beat you to the ball and deny your talent?......You have to be able to resist that, otherwise the talent, technique is wasted.

The top players, have an ability, to resist the players who want to disrupt them.....Thats what separates the best , from the lesser.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, messi11 said:

If we get a top quality Number 8, 7th is easy for us. 

I’d be amazed even with this mythical number 8 that we keep talking about, that we finished 7th. We have strengthened considerably since last season but I’d expect another mid table finish. All of the teams in and around us have strengthened their squads too. It is worth remembering that 3 years ago, we were in The Championship 

18 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d be amazed even with this mythical number 8 that we keep talking about, that we finished 7th. We have strengthened considerably since last season but I’d expect another mid table finish. All of the teams in and around us have strengthened their squads too. It is worth remembering that 3 years ago, we were in The Championship 

7th easy....yeah sure it is. And when we are 11th in December the sack the manager post will start

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

For a team that did a lot of transfer business very early so that the manager could bed players in, we're still pretty much up in the air as to our best shape, let alone our best eleven.

I think we as fans think we are. Even amongst us here, there are differing views on what the midfield 3 should be, and everyone seems to disagree with the 3 Gerrard has been starting this pre season. 

Do you think Gerrard is unsure too? 

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Do you think Gerrard is unsure too? 

Perhaps - I think he had a plan A before pre-season and I think it might have been adjusted since, Bailey has definitely come in the reckoning and that's altered the shape some, I'm not sure which of the two forwards he prefers or whether he wants to go with Luiz or Ramsey. I'm sure he knows the answers to that today, but I'm not sure if they're the answers he had six weeks ago.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Perhaps - I think he had a plan A before pre-season and I think it might have been adjusted since, Bailey has definitely come in the reckoning and that's altered the shape some, I'm not sure which of the two forwards he prefers or whether he wants to go with Luiz or Ramsey. I'm sure he knows the answers to that today, but I'm not sure if they're the answers he had six weeks ago.

Yeah, that's about where I am, maybe slightly lower down the optimism scale.  I'm hopeful that he'll have a clear idea, and that it will work. I'm far from certain though. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I cant remember but did Ramsey-McGinn - Kamara play together at all during pre season. I be shocked but unsurprised if thats the starting midfield tomorrow

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I cant remember but did Ramsey-McGinn - Kamara play together at all during pre season. I be shocked but unsurprised if thats the starting midfield tomorrow

They must have done surely? 

I also have a feeling that might be what we get.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They must have done surely? 

I also have a feeling that might be what we get.

Looking through the reports they played 45 minutes together in 5 games, the horrible first half vs United

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Most likely Kamara for Luiz will be the only real change. We’ll have pretty short possession sequences. Like last season.

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem then that we have is that we end up with McGinn and Ramsey both getting caught in attacking positions when teams counter us - with the full backs high up the pitch it leaves us really, really open to counter attacks.

That said, I think it might be what we start the season with.

Think that's what kamara will bring to the team  at this level been missing a decent defensive midfielder since promotion 

12 minutes ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Think that's what kamara will bring to the team  at this level been missing a decent defensive midfielder since promotion 

Yes but one player isn’t always enough. With Ramsey and McGinn the midfield is still very attack minded. Kamara could end up being as lonely as Luiz was a lot of the time last season, even if he’s better equipped to deal with it.

Â