The Midfield Three

Delphinho123

I'm actually worried there is so much pressure and expectation on Kamara to be this almost mythical fix to repair the broken midfield. He is going to be going well to live up to these insane expectations.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Think that's what kamara will bring to the team  at this level been missing a decent defensive midfielder since promotion 

Since Glenn Whelan? I think Tim Iroegbunam is going to be a fantastic player, without putting too much pressure on him. I have only seen him once against Norwich City at home last season in the 1-0 victory for us but he blew me away. He looks so confident and mature for one so young but like I said, I don’t want to hype him up too much 

3 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yes but one player isn’t always enough. With Ramsey and McGinn the midfield is still very attack minded. Kamara could end up being as lonely as Luiz was a lot of the time last season, even if he’s better equipped to deal with it.

Its a fair point alright never seen Luiz as def midfielder though, nakamba even though very limited with the ball was a better fit for the team hopefully kamara is that player otherwise formation needs to change 4231 maybe 

19 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Since Glenn Whelan? I think Tim Iroegbunam is going to be a fantastic player, without putting too much pressure on him. I have only seen him once against Norwich City at home last season in the 1-0 victory for us but he blew me away. He looks so confident and mature for one so young but like I said, I don’t want to hype him up too much 

Ye Whelan while limited knew his role. hopefully Tim gets more gametime this season  he does look a decent prospect, 

1 minute ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Ye Whelan while limited knew his role. hopefully Tim gets more gametime this season  he does look a decent prospect, 

Whelan did a good job for us in The Championship and when we got promoted, we just discarded him, along with a host of others. I think they were unfairly treated at the time but that’s the harsh reality of football. As for Iroegbunam, I think I have only seen him once against Norwich City at home last season, he blew me away, he looks a great prospect

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Whelan did a good job for us in The Championship and when we got promoted, we just discarded him, along with a host of others. I think they were unfairly treated at the time but that’s the harsh reality of football. As for Iroegbunam, I think I have only seen him once against Norwich City at home last season, he blew me away, he looks a great prospect

Ye Whelan done a good job for us but is a championship player at best, I'm Irish did the same for ireland for years always gave 100% , Think if we are to really push on this year we need to see if younger players are cut out for it at this level everyone saying great things about our academy needs to start showing in first team 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Ye Whelan done a good job for us but is a championship player at best, I'm Irish did the same for ireland for years always gave 100% , Think if we are to really push on this year we need to see if younger players are cut out for it at this level everyone saying great things about our academy needs to start showing in first team 

I remember Whelan being good for Stoke City in the Premier League in his pomp, he was a good, honest pro. We don’t want to put too much pressure on the young players. I have been guilty of it on here and in real life in the past and been made to look a fool on many occasions but I have a really good feeling about this current crop 

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I remember Whelan being good for Stoke City in the Premier League in his pomp, he was a good, honest pro. We don’t want to put too much pressure on the young players. I have been guilty of it on here and in real life in the past and been made to look a fool on many occasions but I have a really good feeling about this current crop 

Ah yes done that myself fair few times over the years 😀 hopefully this times the one,  can't remember the last time I've been looking forward to a season with this much optimisim hopefully strong start and we can push on this season utv 

2 minutes ago, dublinvilla2014 said:

Ah yes done that myself fair few times over the years 😀 hopefully this times the one,  can't remember the last time I've been looking forward to a season with this much optimisim hopefully strong start and we can push on this season utv 

You have? Personally, I’d be quite happy with another mid-table finish but I don’t think Gerrard thinks like that at all, he probably wants Europe this season 

53 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You have? Personally, I’d be quite happy with another mid-table finish but I don’t think Gerrard thinks like that at all, he probably wants Europe this season 

I don't think there's any "probably" about it. If we get a good rub of the green and the players buy into this winning mentality that Gerrard demands then I'm pretty confident we can make a good go of being in the top 8.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

I'm actually worried there is so much pressure and expectation on Kamara to be this almost mythical fix to repair the broken midfield. He is going to be going well to live up to these insane expectations.

Yeah my impression of Kamara is that he's a wonderful prospect who is already good enough to play for us, but probably not good enough to massively improve our midfield yet.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I watched Arsenal v Palace last night. The Palace team is full of big, strong blokes. I still feel that we are lacking in terms of physicality, particularly in the midfield three. We are desperate for a destroyer in there and I still fear for us until we address this.

Hopefully a new 8 will be signed who gives us more energy and physicality in the middle three. If not I can see Tim getting some serious minutes this season. Having him, Bouba and one other suddenly feels a lot better. 

7 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

He'll need time to adapt to the pace of the League that's for sure. I can see Luiz starting at 6 in some games

7 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

McGinn and Ramsey with Coutinho just is so weak and leaves Kamara exposed. 

It's almost as if our issues last season wasn't solely down to Douglas Luiz. 

• Like 3

On 01/08/2022 at 10:01, AndyM3000 said:

Completely agree.

Kamara is a lock for me, we need someone like him there no matter what. The other two spots should be decided on what the game plan is, low possession and hitting teams on the counter then go with McGinn and Ramsey, control the game and build attacks slowly then Luiz and Sanson are better options.

If we want to play Coutinho and Buendia then we need the full backs to fly forward or else they won't have enough options, in which case a much more solid and tactically aware midfield 3 are needed.

As you said, I fully expect to see the same players rolled out week in week out no matter what. McGinn being made captain means he will be in the starting 11 almost every game.

I said this only a week ago and first game the wrong two 8s were picked for me. Had to break them down and create chances, McGinn and Ramsey aren't doing that.

Coutinho and Buendia did play the 2nd half together and the full backs were still chucking balls into the box from deep.

Â