Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

35 minutes ago, av1 said:

I agree with you that we need a dominant midfielder, for too long now now I’ve felt our midfield to be too soft. The trouble is lots of these sort of players don’t particularly have too much technical ability, and retaining possession is another issue we have had for a while. 

I don’t know much about the guys we’ve been linked with from France so can’t comment, but dominate midfielders who can also dictate play generally come at a premium. If these guys can do both great, but from my UK only knowledge, I think JWP ticks a few boxes. 

I have not done any research here, but I don't think Ndidi or Bissouma cost an arm and a leg, I think Kante was originally picked up too, by our Rob Mackenzie, so it can be done.

The first thing, is to have an appreciation of their worth.....The better ones, which is what I want, do have technical ability too....

I am quietly hopeful that Marv is going to improve, but even then, to go in to a full on season, with one eye of the league, 2 cups, its a bit much to only have one real combative midfielder in the squad.

I actually do like Marv, if he could read the game like Kante and create from his ball winning positions, we would be in clover.....A hybrid of Marv & Dougie, now that would be ideal.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed, but I don’t believe they complement each other. For instance, I believe both are better players than Nakamba, but I think I most would agree that McGinn looked better with FN next to him at points last season. 

I don’t believe we need to replace the whole midfield, but at the moment the balance isn’t right. We can’t pass through teams in the middle of the park, nor are we particularly solid (people will point the number of cleans sheets but I genuinely put that down to the defence, the midfield is easily bypassed). 

We need one that can bring it all together 

Too easily bypassed on too many occasions.

One that can bring it all together will launch this team.

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don’t disagree with that, what I would say however is the German league is probably the closest thing in Europe to the PL in terms of intensity, so hoping Bailey will be fine 

fingers crossed.

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure what this rush to replace the entire midfield is. McGinn and Luiz are very good players. 

Disagree, I don't think they work, definitely not as a pair

McGinn has fitness problems and Luiz has consistency problems, the 2 together plus then smiths reluctance to sub either of them means that more often than not at least 1 of them will have a poor game, it's increasingly rare that both of them turn up in the same game and play well

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

But he can do the unexpected with it, look at that touch against city where he sat KDB down. Also he scored a few with his right last yr.

A mix of Bailey and Traore this yr will be so hard to play against.

How many could score that goal against Chelsea....it was pure filth.

Look, I am the first to bang the drum for consistency, and thats the main thing that eludes him...but he is a talented boy.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Does it still say that on desktop? Shows you how long ago I did that, feels like we’ve had the reactions forever 😂

Turn your phone landscape,  you'll see your signature on your posts

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

—Sarr————Chukwuemeka

———Doucoure

Wow. 

Who's Wow? Haven't seen him linked. 

Can we get his chart up? I want to see his pressures if he is to be our new defensive midfield lynchpin. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure what this rush to replace the entire midfield is. McGinn and Luiz are very good players. 

Sanson has been written off already! 

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

All about value now I suppose. You could buy Matar Sarr and Doucoure for the price it would cost you to sign JWP.

Wouldn't bother with the Doucoure fella - sounds very average. Pepe Sarr sounds much more like a prem player. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree, I don't think they work, definitely not as a pair

McGinn has fitness problems and Luiz has consistency problems, the 2 together plus then smiths reluctance to sub either of them means that more often than not at least 1 of them will have a poor game, it's increasingly rare that both of them turn up in the same game and play well

Couldn't agree more.

The issue for me is, they are too similar in as much as their skill set, is related too further forward, they are CM's not Dm's......That is not saying they are bad players at all....just deployed wrong, because we are short on a talented DM, they have just filled in.... One may get away with it, but not 2 ....its hard to be critical due to the aforementioned.

I like both players, but you are right.

Neither are particularly athletic, John can be robust, but both are suseptible to lose the ball in a duel.....thats not a good trait for such a position.

John McGinn is more proficient at winning the ball further up field, where the same pressure is not on you, when you have to win it in the centre circle, Its critical you win it......Dougie shadows and marshalls, rather than challenge for the ball, doing that can surrender the initiative in a game and the impetus lost.

Someone asked me to compare Dougie with Stan Petrov, who equally would "pickpocket" as opposed to hard tackle or physically out muscle......I was privvy to a comment Stan once made, That his personal frustration was with Martin O'Neill, for not playing NRC, Stan said Nigel does the hard bits, he does the mundane work, and when he plays, I play better.....as we all know MON and NRC were not exactly bed pals.

Contast in our midfielders is paramount....we have had too many too similar, for some time.

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We had two major issues last year, creativity without Jack which we've hopefully fixed and dominating midfield. I agree with you but we had the best defence we've had in years, we don't *need* to replace any of them yet, our forwards are probably the best out of the Top 6 and we've signed 2 incredible talents in attack.

I think most of us would have midfield or CAM as the next two priorities and if we play 442 we don't need a CAM as much so attention goes to midfield.

Although I think we need 1 rather than 2

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sanson has been written off already! 

I don't think so, we just have to see him and his injury has curtailed that, be he is not a No 6 is my understanding.

As far as general central midfielders go we are well stocked and I think thats what he is....he has to WIN his place.

43 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You don’t have to replace them as starters this season, or even next, but grabbing one or two outstanding young talents on five year contracts in a depressed market.. Makes sense, doesn’t it?

If they turn out to better than what you have then they get into the side on merit. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

All about value now I suppose. You could buy Matar Sarr and Doucoure for the price it would cost you to sign JWP.

I think there is more to JWP than just set pieces as some claim.....Dean does seem to be keen about Premier League experience and I can understand that.

The price is the issue, i guess and how important he is to the Saints.

I think to piss up someones doorway, you may get away with, but the second time, they might be waiting?

Can't see this one myself.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

I think there is more to JWP than just set pieces as some claim.....Dean does seem to be keen about Premier League experience and I can understand that.

The price is the issue, i guess and how important he is to the Saints.

I think to piss up someones doorway, you may get away with, but the second time, they might be waiting?

I think they are very happy with £25m+ for Ings given his age and year left. We will have to pay over the odds for Ward Prowse, but some times you have to do it, I do think he could knit our midfield together nicely. Not sure I would prefer Anguissa though as he would be significantly cheaper. 

Quite fancy that Correa in addition too.  

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m afraid this is probably correct, although Luiz and Nakamba should be replaced first 

what Nakamba, the only midfielder we have who does a specific midfield role well (however limited people think he is).

Doug and John have the talent, in fact I'd say Doug has great technical ability but their instinct as many have pointed out is forward thinking, neither can tackle well or win many 50/50s in the air.

I think Doug will continue to improve and I still think John still has plenty to offer, but they need someone to do well what they can't and even them they shouldn't start together.

Edited by VillanousOne