Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We've Sanson, Young, Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Tuanzebe for Barkley, Jack, Taylor, Elmo, Engles and Heaton. Plus we've CC and JPB in the mix.

We'll likely sign another midfielder too. We had no Jack for 1/3rd of last season too. I see us as a stronger team with more depth this season, that's before we factor in improvement from some players.

me too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree NSWE and CP want to keep Smith but I think that we have moved from from relegation being tolerable. The first season up I believe he would have kept his job if we were relegated but that level of support no longer available imo. Smith must continue to deliver to keep his job and it would not be accepted if we were in the bottom 3 in late Oct / Nov. I don't think we will be down there and hopefully we will be pushing for top 8 but I suspect NSWE and CP would be ruthless if they believe they need to be.

BTW, I am only new to this forum and only permitted 5 posts a day so if I don't respond to a reply it is not because I am running for cover :)

I don't think we will be flirting near the bottom, perhaps just below mid table by xmas and then we will kick on. I'm also a new poster but been an outside / onlooker / voyeur of this forum for over 20 years 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

We've Sanson, Young, Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Tuanzebe for Barkley, Jack, Taylor, Elmo, Engles and Heaton. Plus we've CC and JPB in the mix.

We'll likely sign another midfielder too. We had no Jack for 1/3rd of last season too. I see us as a stronger team with more depth this season, that's before we factor in improvement from some players.

That was pointwise the worst 1/3rd of last season too....

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I agree NSWE and CP want to keep Smith but I think that we have moved from from relegation being tolerable. The first season up I believe he would have kept his job if we were relegated but that level of support no longer available imo. Smith must continue to deliver to keep his job and it would not be accepted if we were in the bottom 3 in late Oct / Nov. I don't think we will be down there and hopefully we will be pushing for top 8 but I suspect NSWE and CP would be ruthless if they believe they need to be.

BTW, I am only new to this forum and only permitted 5 posts a day so if I don't respond to a reply it is not because I am running for cover :)

I think the owners know what that have in Dean and When suso went that was an indication....Purslow, believes in Dean and as Dean has established himself, my suspicion is a few would go before Dean if the standards slipped.

5 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

I don't think we will be flirting near the bottom, perhaps just below mid table by xmas and then we will kick on. I'm also a new poster but been an outside / onlooker / voyeur of this forum for over 20 years 

Welcome to VT....I need some new friends😀

• Thanks 1

My issue with Dean Smith is I've never seen him adequately deal with Plan A not working. And basically Plan A was get the ball to HWSNBN.

This season is basically one big Plan B. So it's sink or swim time.

Could Terry be back by Christmas?!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

I'm an avid follower of your post TRO, you don't need to ask lol... 

you are much too kind to be on here.

just don't mention "Old Football" whatever it means.....it just winds me up.

so if someone mentions it....."Tell them Tro's coming and hell is coming with me"😃

back to serious debate.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

My issue with Dean Smith is I've never seen him adequately deal with Plan A not working. And basically Plan A was get the ball to HWSNBN.

This season is basically one big Plan B. So it's sink or swim time.

Could Terry be back by Christmas?!

If Smith went I’d hope our owners would be smarter than bringing in an untried person like Terry.

3 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I Hope the links to Joaquin Correa have some truth. Maybe I’m being a little greedy, but looks a good player and a good Grealish replacement.

Him and a CM and I’d be delighted!

It’s not greedy to want to replace your best player with the 100m you got for him. 

Left winger is the priority along with DM. 

5 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I Hope the links to Joaquin Correa have some truth. Maybe I’m being a little greedy, but looks a good player and a good Grealish replacement.

The problem is we can only start a game with 11 players. We are at risk of very quickly becoming a bloated squad. I am a little fearful we could return to the bad old days of having a bomb squad of highly paid players that not only don't get in the starting 11 but don't even see the bench. 

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

His goals ratio is woeful....something doesn't stack up for me.

is he a winger?   what type of forward has a goals record like him and plays for his country?

don't get it.

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m bored. Need more rumours. 

Jacks coming back....David Unsworth told me.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

I too am of the opinion that Jack leaving while very painful for obvious reasons...  it will help us grow and help AVFC and Smith in the long run.  We are better overall because of it. 

It looks to me that we are very close to being able to finally playing the 433 that DS prolly prefers to play- like he did at Brentford and originally here at Villa.  I'm of the opinion we are looking for a young DM in the Saar/Doucoure mold to compete with MN.  Nakamba has improved significantly from the end of last season and has shown alot this preseason as well.  If we acquire a young DM to compete with MN, Smith could push Luiz further forward and compete with the other midfielders...this is where he should be competing for playing time frankly.  We could have Nakamba/New DM at one spot, McGinn/Sanson at another, and Luiz/Chuk/Ramsey at the 3rd CM spot.  The other CMs are youth players or sold like CH.  I fully expect AVFC to acquire a young prospect DM of value to compete with Nakamba.  Then likely a veteran GK to compete with Steer.

That leaves 3 attacking slots to be rotated with all the new depth we have.  Our outside attackers play as inside forwards given how often they cut inside and allow the fullbacks to overlap.  Plus they roam free and interchange with eachother.  It looks like Buendia/Traore on the right, Watkins/Ings in the center, and Bailey/AEG on the left.  Plus the youth winger nipping on everyones heels.  That is a good looking 433 to me.

We will have the depth (once we add the new DCM) to adapt to a 4231 if we want to add the extra attacker (Ings), or play 4411.

I for one am really happy with how our squad is shaping up.  We will soon have 2 player quality depth at every position.  Just need to get everyone healthy and fit!  This preseason has been a disaster for fitness and cancelled matches.

UTV!

Edited by ejs1111
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Correa is just paper bullshit. He'll stay in Italy.

But... but... it's on the Birmingham Live website. 

Surely our local and respected paper wouldn't post clickbait?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

His goals ratio is woeful....something doesn't stack up for me.

is he a winger?   what type of forward has a goals record like him and plays for his country?

don't get it.

I think he’s a wide forward similar to how Jack played. To be fair his numbers in seria a are 40 goal contributions in 123 games. So one every 3.07 games. 

Jacks premier league record is 34 goal contributions in 96 or games or one every 2.8 games. 

Not a massive amount of difference…

Edited by Vive_La_Villa