Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

28 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Delighted with Ings, he brings goals, no risk for me. Not sure Ollie looks as happy as he usually does though, or maybe I am paranoid. 

That's very much an Ollie Watkins problem, he has to bang em in, keep his place and continue to smile.

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have to find a new way of playing and it will be a more balanced way of playing.

I see qualities entering in to our play, we didn't see before, despite losing such a fabulous player.

I'm glad you think so. I clicked on a Villa article earlier, and half way down, what was being advertised?? **** *that* welcome to City to interview with *him*. Great.

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't think we will be in the battle to avoid relegation at all.

It is all up in the air right now, how will the new signings do? Will the players maintain last years performance? Who else is coming in? We could finish 6th, we could finish 13th.

Our preseason has been a joke (not the club's fault) so it is likely to take a while to get almost half the squad, match fit, match sharp and involved.

i'd like to see us target josip brekalo of wolfsburg. left winger who plays the inside forward role really well. might take a small fortune to get him out of wolfsburg though, and might not want to sacrifice champions league football.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don't think we will be in the battle to avoid relegation at all.

It is all up in the air right now, how will the new signings do? Will the players maintain last years performance? Who else is coming in? We could finish 6th, we could finish 13th.

This is where I am at. First season in a very long time I am not stressing about relegation. I think we will struggle to get our new players up to speed but I jst dont see how this many good players can get relegated. Maybe if Martinez gets injured I guess.

19 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Come on Villa we haven't signed anyone for about a day. #Lange out.

Prospective targets have viewed the forum and seen that players like Traore with 7 goals 7 assists in debut season is seen as not good enough by some posters so are giving the club a pass

• Haha 1

Not sure, I understand this Joaquin Correa link.

he is 26 they want 30 mill and he has a goals ratio of 5.37:1.....Allan Evans wasn't far behind.

This has to be a joke.

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This is where I am at. First season in a very long time I am not stressing about relegation.

Me neither. I can't see a relegation scrap this season. However, I am at a real loss as to where we will finish. Last season I was hoping for 12th to 15th and got 11th so I was very happy with how we did. I would like to see improvement this season so I guess 8th to 10th should keep me happy. But, and a big but, if the players click as we all hope they will I think 6th or 7th is a possibility. I think any higher than that is probably a little beyond our reach for this season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Not sure, I understand this Joaquin Correa link.

he is 26 they want 30 mill and he has a goals ratio of 5.37:1.....Allan Evans wasn't far behind.

This has to be a joke.

Watched a fair bit of him over the last few days. A very good player.  Causes chaos with his running and close control. Like a bastard grealish el ghazi hybrid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

im worried not in quality of players but of smith and can he handle pressure with out jg and how long will he get

The loss of JG will hurt Smith and I think it will either result in his sacking at the Oct International break or either and extension of his contract. This season is massive for Smith, owners have backed him and he now needs to prove himself again. He is steadily improving but there are a few weaknesses that concern me. If he can get team playing as a unit with the new guys integrated then he will be safe, even if the results aren't great. But if we are flirting with relegation then we may see some changes. Hopefully we will see smith remain as Head Coach for the full season as this would probably mean we are doing quite well

• Like 3

not a chance they will sack Smith, he's part of the long term project

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The loss of JG will hurt Smith and I think it will either result in his sacking at the Oct International break or either and extension of his contract. This season is massive for Smith, owners have backed him and he now needs to prove himself again. He is steadily improving but there are a few weaknesses that concern me. If he can get team playing as a unit with the new guys integrated then he will be safe, even if the results aren't great. But if we are flirting with relegation then we may see some changes. Hopefully we will see smith remain as Head Coach for the full season as this would probably mean we are doing quite well

Not a chance they will sack smith, he's part of the long term project - which has a core pillar of stability 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Dean will know all that himself...He knows the gig.

I don't see Deans position in jeopardy..but we all know football.

I saw some inherent issues last season and I hope Dean saw them too....one was on show on Sunday, and if we keep conceding unchallenged headers at the back post, that will put pressure on him...it was a pre season game, so we will cut them some slack, but Matty C needs to tighten up on that.

If we can cut out some of that sloppy play.....Dean will be fine, because we have the goals to hurt teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zero7 said:

Not a chance they will sack smith, he's part of the long term project - which has a core pillar of stability 

I agree NSWE and CP want to keep Smith but I think that we have moved from from relegation being tolerable. The first season up I believe he would have kept his job if we were relegated but that level of support no longer available imo. Smith must continue to deliver to keep his job and it would not be accepted if we were in the bottom 3 in late Oct / Nov. I don't think we will be down there and hopefully we will be pushing for top 8 but I suspect NSWE and CP would be ruthless if they believe they need to be.

BTW, I am only new to this forum and only permitted 5 posts a day so if I don't respond to a reply it is not because I am running for cover :)