Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

For some reason, I didn't know what 'CH' referred to and the first name that came to mind was Charlton Heston. 

I'm sure Charlton Heston scored a few crackers and went missing thereafter!!  Or maybe, he just liked monkeys?? 🤔

I meant Hourihane.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I know one thing, our recruitment will be better than Everton's this summer, their business so far is horrid. 

TBH, that's Rafa for you...  For every Torres, Alonso, & Kuyt he'll unearth, you'll get at least twice as many signings like Cisse, Babel, Pennant, & Bellamy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm sure Charlton Heston scored a few crackers and went missing thereafter!!  Or maybe, he just liked monkeys?? 🤔

I meant Hourihane.

The strangest ever post i think i have ever seen on VT..

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I meant Hourihane.

Take our Grealish away? From my cold dead hands!

I'm excited by the links to Bailey and over the moon due to Buendia signing, but I still think our weakest area is the central of midfield particularly a defensive player.

Nakamba doing well last year shows how effective having a player like that can help but we can and should massively upgrade on him. 

I feel like that spot should be priority, ideally someone who can play CB if none of the kids are ready to step up if needed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

For some reason, I didn't know what 'CH' referred to and the first name that came to mind was Charlton Heston. 

It worries me that the first thing that jumped into my mind was ‘cock hungry’.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

59 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I meant Hourihane.

when it comes to species of man, we're all a bunch of homos

8 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

It worries me that the first thing that jumped into my mind was ‘cock hungry’.

Really? I thought of Switzerland. 

Pervert.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, RicRic said:

Keinan Davis level is League One its as simple as that.Wesley’s level is bottom half of the Premier League 🤷🏾‍♂️ and Watkins is undoubtedly Top 6 Premier League Standard.

I'd go as far as to say Davis and Wesley are both unproven in the Prem, one hasn't had enough minutes to make his mark and the other has been out injured for 18 months and hadn't had much time to make an impression before then. Difficult to put either of them into a neat little ability box in my opinion. I would say both have shown glimpses of ability and qualities that would make them effective at this level. 

As much as I like and rate Watkins, I'm not sure "top 6" fits him yet. He needs to learn to stay onside and be more lethal. If he took a few more convincing tumbles and hit the ball at the right moment he'd have been up there for golden boot imo. 

I can't see any of them being replaced this window and think the coaching staff have faith they will be enough for us to push on and I'm inclined to agree with them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I can't see any of them being replaced this window and think the coaching staff have faith they will be enough for us to push on and I'm inclined to agree with them

Well isn’t Davis going out on loan? Stoke deal seems close.

Then Wes has been out 18 months so it’s a big risk.

who knows what the coaching staff think, we are only just starting the transfer window really when the action gets going. I don’t think it’s enough to push on and I think they’ll be adjustments made.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

I'd go as far as to say Davis and Wesley are both unproven in the Prem, one hasn't had enough minutes to make his mark and the other has been out injured for 18 months and hadn't had much time to make an impression before then. Difficult to put either of them into a neat little ability box in my opinion. I would say both have shown glimpses of ability and qualities that would make them effective at this level. 

As much as I like and rate Watkins, I'm not sure "top 6" fits him yet. He needs to learn to stay onside and be more lethal. If he took a few more convincing tumbles and hit the ball at the right moment he'd have been up there for golden boot imo. 

I can't see any of them being replaced this window and think the coaching staff have faith they will be enough for us to push on and I'm inclined to agree with them. 

Also the team that Wes played with is a bit different to the one that finished last season / will start next season.  I have concerns and part of me would like to see him out on loan in Belgium next season (at least to January) so that he can get proper minutes under his built and we can see whether he is back to the level required.  But obviously that means bringing someone else in and then Wes wouldn't want to be third choice.  Would have been easier if we had replaced KD last summer or in January.

I agree on Watkins - he's still in the "potential" camp for me.  He does a lot for the team but needs to score more goals.  But (and admittedly it was Walsall and a friendly) the link up with Emi looks really promising and maybe he'll not need to drift so wide to get the ball this season.  Hopefully this is the year that really propels him into "top 6" level and makes it impossible for any England manager to leave him out of the squad for the World Cup.  He has a much higher ceiling than his direct competitors. 

• Like 2

Watkins has already had an England call up and scored. C & B specs aside he's probably top 3-4 English strikers already, and that's after one season in the prem. 

For me he's well past potential, the question is how quickly he can move to elite (20+ goals a season) level. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

Watkins has already had an England call up and scored. C & B specs aside he's probably top 3-4 English strikers already, and that's after one season in the prem. 

For me he's well past potential, the question is how quickly he can move to elite (20+ goals a season) level. 

I really think he will hit 20 goals this season.  I've got no basis what so ever for that other than gut instinct, but I think he is going to really kick on again this year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I really think he will hit 20 goals this season.  I've got no basis what so ever for that other than gut instinct, but I think he is going to really kick on again this year

Agree, based on gut feeling and the incredible service he'll get from Emi and Jack. Checked the other day and he was 33-1 to get golden boot in the prem this season. Worth a punt I reckon for those who like a little bet. 

• Like 2

With fair refereeing and 1/2 here and there he could have been approaching 25 last year. He hasn't got much to worry about especially with even better service. Agree with what many have said regarding penalties, really hope he has worked on the mental side of it because he strikes the ball beautifully, I really hope he is 1st choice for them this year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Top 3 or 4 English strikers doesn't make him "top 6" level - especially as the teams that those players represent finished in 7th, 9th, 10th and 11th places respectively.  Unless you count Jamie Vardy but he's probably now on the downturn of his career so as much as I rate him, I haven't included him in the above.  I think Ollie was very impressive last season (especially as it was his first season at this level) but he's not (yet) in the top 5 or 6 strikers I have seen at Villa Park or the best 5 or 6 strikers in the PL.  He missed a few one-on-ones last season that you would expect a genuine "top 6" striker to bury with their eyes shut.  I want to see him sort that out before I count him as a "top class" striker.  However, I genuinely hope that with Jack and Emi providing him through balls to chase rather than long balls down the channels that he will score more this season.  If Man City were to buy Ollie now they would be buying potential not the end product which I guess was my point.  Hopefully this season (and next) he makes that step up because if he is banging in 20 odd goals in front of Jack, Emi, Bertie and ANO then we will be having a great season.

4 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

El Ghazi is a good squad player and proved his worth on more than one occassion last season. I would hope that he is the one pushing for a move as opposed to us looking to sell him on.

100% agree with your first sentence, but it’s new contract time for AEG (2 years left), he’s going to want more money and more playing time.  Not convinced he’s going to be offered more playing time, and if he’s not playing more why would you offer him more money??

What’s different to usual is that we aren’t paying him an offensive weekly salary that means he can maybe find what he’s looking for elsewhere?

• Like 3

AEG is simply not good enough on a consistent basis to expect more playing time. more money seems fair as he was signed on a promotion club wage and we are now an established premier league club, but if we got a serious/reasonable offer for him then i'd be more than happy to sell.