Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I saw a thing to say Crystal Palace are releasing 22 players, so thought that we could perhaps pick up a player on a free that could help add squad depth… here’s the list:

Brandon Aveiro, Lewis Bryon, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Scott Dann, Kian Flanagan, Kevin Gonzalez, Harlem Hale, Stephen Henderson, Wayne Hennessey, Lewis Hobbs, Rohan Luthra, Alfie Matthews, James McCarthy, Jacob Russell, Jude Russell, Mamadou Sakho, Andros Townsend, Patrick van Aanholt, Joel Ward, Connor Wickham, Samuel Woods.

… but I don’t think there any any there that would be worth going for and that would improve our squad much.

Maybe Hennessey as back up keeper. But that's it. 

8 hours ago, thabucks said:

So

Should’ve made clear in my in my initial post that I was using those two players as examples only really. I wasn’t necessarily advocating signing either, they were two names that cropped to mind to illustrate who we could sign instead of Tammy to improve our squad. Armstrong could keep Watkins on his toes and step in for a season or two until Hlozek and Barry are ready to challenge Watkins… No brainer for £10mill surely as a back up solution with Wesley, and hopefully Alvarez in that mix… 

Just saying from a value POV Tosin and Armstrong for just over £20 million could be v.shrewd move along with Young on a free. Leaving a nice chunk of pie left to play with for ESR, JWP, Olise and … 

I know we don’t agree but I think part of that is a waste spending good money on squad fillers.  We need to bring quality like Tammy and not splashing 16, 20, 25m on Armstrong that isn’t going to even challenge Ollie.  Just a pure waste of money.  We need quality over quantity, I don’t think your idea is shrewd, I think it’s a waste of money and you won’t agree with my view.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s a crazy price for Berge if true

If that was true he'd have been snapped up instantly. 

£9m for a player of that quality it just cannot be true, not a chance.

Just now, Steero113 said:

If that was true he'd have been snapped up instantly. 

£9m for a player of that quality it just cannot be true, not a chance.

He has a £35m release clause I think. I think someone will probably pick him up for cheaper than that, but no way does he go for that stupidly low figure. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

He has a £35m release clause I think. I think someone will probably pick him up for cheaper than that, but no way does he go for that stupidly low figure. 

Yeah, I heard of the £35m release clause on the Sheff Utd forums. 

It may be that the figure is lower due to being relegated, but £9m is a squad filler number, and Berge is certainly better than that. 

He was my tip for a DM for us in January when Sheff Utd were guaranteed to go down. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tricky one. I think £35m is too much for him but clearly £9m is too low to be true.

I guess clubs are a bit tentative due to the injury?

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

if this were true we should be all over it like a rash. I think he'll go for somewhere aroudn the £25 mil mark personally.

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

There was some talk on Blades boards he had a relegation release clause that was much lower than anyone expected, but no way it's that low, he'd have been gone already.... unless there's something really wrong. If he's fully fit, anything under £20M would be an excellent buy, imo.

Looking at the Sheffield United forum it comes from their relegation and Journo's getting confused.

The release clause is £35m which dropped £9-10m when they got relegated. Some outlets took that as him being available for that fee, rather than it being the variance between old and new release clauses

Edited by HalfTimePost

41 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I saw a thing to say Crystal Palace are releasing 22 players, so thought that we could perhaps pick up a player on a free that could help add squad depth… here’s the list:

Brandon Aveiro, Lewis Bryon, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Scott Dann, Kian Flanagan, Kevin Gonzalez, Harlem Hale, Stephen Henderson, Wayne Hennessey, Lewis Hobbs, Rohan Luthra, Alfie Matthews, James McCarthy, Jacob Russell, Jude Russell, Mamadou Sakho, Andros Townsend, Patrick van Aanholt, Joel Ward, Connor Wickham, Samuel Woods.

… but I don’t think there any any there that would be worth going for and that would improve our squad much.

I wouldn’t be against Cahill on a 1yr deal if it’s sensible wages and allows us to spend money elsewhere in the team this summer. We need additional CB cover with Engels leaving, and Cahill is undoubtedly more reliable than Engels, even at his age now. Cahill also brings a wealth of experience and leadership qualities. If he was happy to come in as mainly cover then I’d be ok with that.

14 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn’t be against Cahill on a 1yr deal if it’s sensible wages and allows us to spend money elsewhere in the team this summer. We need additional CB cover with Engels leaving, and Cahill is undoubtedly more reliable than Engels, even at his age now. Cahill also brings a wealth of experience and leadership qualities. If he was happy to come in as mainly cover then I’d be ok with that.

He won’t come here to sit on the bench though 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah u never know with relegation clauses,  we had to sell Gana for very little 

We sold him for what we bought him for though iirc. Sheffield United paid over £20m for Berge so I doubt the clause is less than half that.

Not sure I really get the clamour for him to be honest. I'd be delighted if we could sign him for £9m for squad depth obviously but he's not the level of deep lying midfielder I hope we'll be aiming for imo.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

We sold him for what we bought him for though iirc. Sheffield United paid over £20m for Berge so I doubt the clause is less than half that.

Not sure I really get the clamour for him to be honest. I'd be delighted if we could sign him for £9m for squad depth obviously but he's not the level of deep lying midfielder I hope we'll be aiming for imo.

I’m in agreement with you on Berge, I don’t think he’s all that. Give me Renato Sanches in CM, he’ll make Luiz shine again at DM.

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m in agreement with you on Berge, I don’t think he’s all that. Give me Renato Sanches in CM, he’ll make Luiz shine again at DM.

Didnt Renato Sanches completely flop at Swansea ?

Not that means anything because KDB and Salah did nothing at Chelsea and subsequently came back and did alright and between them have a couple of titles, FA Cups and a European Cup.