Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 minutes ago, sne said:

You never know but bit of a difference compared to Sanches who had his breakthrough at the 2016 Euro's as a 18 y.o kid and then got a huge money move to Bayern München with massive expectations and media focus.

Alvarez is 21 and would come here as a rotation option for a mid table side on the up where all the focus is on Grealish. 

I don’t disagree but we know our fans and the expectation that’ll be on him and how easy our fans can turn (like other fans)

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t disagree but we know our fans and the expectation that’ll be on him and how easy our fans can turn (like other fans)

Our fans are like newborn kittens compared to the River Plate ones tbh

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I wouldn't mind a forward in the mould of* any of Son, Mane, Salah, Sterling, Bale, Aubameyang, Werner, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood.

I'm not against a forward coming in, I'm against spending £40m on Lanky Darren Bent when he doesn't slot into any reasonable XI we play. Competition is all well and good but we have much bigger gaps to spend £40m on.

I like Tammy, but he's not what we need. It's claret and blue tinted glasses in the same way we need a Centre Back and I guarantee we will have Tuanzebe mentioned a few times this summer. (The clicks it will generate will also mean we inevitably get linked by The Mirror too, the same with Tammy)

* Don't comment on the names, it's more a showing of how these names can all play wide, not as a winger but as an inside forward. They *can* play up top if needed but would be also adept at playing wide and strengthen our team.

Lol, your tone is probably too harsh for some, but I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Indeed, I'd prefer to spend money like that on " Forwards " who can play anywhere across the front. We already have " Target men " and " strikers ". Watkins is our main man. Yes I understand the need for quality in depth, but I'd rather that " depth " be on players which can help us in a multitude of ways. Not an emergency striker who probably wouldn't play that often any way.

It's funny that some of the same people who mock people wanting " Old school DCMs " don't see why the above thinking is much more conducive to the modern game and our style of play.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Maybe the interesting thing there would be how vickery mentioned on the podcast that river have brought him through quite slowly rather than deep ending him, he said they don't play him every week but they play him in the big games 

Of which river play a fair few big games, came on as a sub in both games for the CL semis last season and the final the year before, unused sub in the final vs boca the year before 

He's played at about as high a level as he can in SA

3 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct but at the same time, you’re doing someone like Emile Heskey a disservice. Heskey used to do the hard work, so that other players could flourish. Target men are so few and far in between these days

He was part of a two man team though.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I do worry that Alvarez might be the same with our expectation on him if he comes.  If he comes, I hope we treat him as a long term project and not to be a superstar now by the fans.

He's a few years older than Sanches tbf but there are obviously the issues of how well he settles into the team, country and new life. We've got a very thorough recruitment department so I think they'll pull the plug if they don't think he'll be able to adapt to his new surroundings. It's always going to be a lottery, though. 

If we’re allegedly willing to pay £40m for Tammy, have paid £33m for Beundia - even though I would like to take a punt on Alvarez - how about a £30m bid for Maupay given he can play up front or AM?

I think we missed out on him in 2019/20 when we chose to go for Wes and DS knows him well.

Edited by rayk
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 2

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

If we’re allegedly willing to pay £40m for Tammy, have paid £33m for Beundia - even though I would like to take a punt on Alvarez - how about a £30m bid for Maupay given he can play up front or AM?

I think we missed out on him in 2019/20 when we chose to go for Wes and DS knows him well.

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Maupay is not it.

9 hours ago, QldVilla said:

We pay £30 m for Championship striker unproven at PL, but £40 m for a proven 23 yo PL striker with Champions League experience is too expensive?

The mind boggles…

Yes but tammy is worse than Watkins. And would only be a backup. You don't pay more for your backup than you do for your starter especially when the backup is only 1 year younger. 

6 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

Been gone a few days, was hoping for more juicy rumors, spectacular ITK facts or at least a couple of big buys! Is nothing happening on the Odsonne Édouard front?

I think he'd be a much better signing than Abraham. Although he seems like a bit of a flat track bully. 

• Like 1