Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

We sold him for what we bought him for though iirc. Sheffield United paid over £20m for Berge so I doubt the clause is less than half that.

Not sure I really get the clamour for him to be honest. I'd be delighted if we could sign him for £9m for squad depth obviously but he's not the level of deep lying midfielder I hope we'll be aiming for imo.

And without that clause we would have gotten a lot more, or kept him.

Berge was a "above their stature" signing and a coup for Sheffield so he might very well have put in a favorable get out clause. But yeah, while built like a tank he's not the type of DCM  some are asking for, he's more of a link up player who likes to drive forward from deep and who's good with the ball and pretty mobile once he get's up to speed.

He's still young thou so I get why bigger clubs see him as a interesting prospect. He's someone I wanted us to sign the summer before he went to Sheffield, now it would be down to price and for £10m or so I'd absolutely be up for it.

Just now, nick76 said:

Didnt Renato Sanches completely flop at Swansea ?

Not that means anything because KDB and Salah did nothing at Chelsea and subsequently came back and did alright and between them have a couple of titles, FA Cups and a European Cup.

19 year old footballer in a new country struggles in a struggling team (they were relegated that season weren't they?). I'd say flop is a bit much. He was probably described as such in the press to make a headline and the tag stuck to him.

• Thanks 1

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

19 year old footballer in a new country struggles in a struggling team (they were relegated that season weren't they?). I'd say flop is a bit much. He was probably described as such in the press to make a headline and the tag stuck to him.

Cheers, I had some memory but not clear so thanks for clearing that up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

You’re right but the experience may have scarred him enough not to want to come back to Blighty.

One or two bad games and all the flop talk would be straight back there.

Just now, rayk said:

You’re right but the experience may have scarred him enough not to want to come back to Blighty.

One or two bad games and all the flop talk would be straight back there.

We are too quick to judge players 

4 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

People on here said that Smith was only looking to recruit young promising players with sell on potential 

As a primary strategy that is the case but if a quality older player becomes available and fits then we'll try to bring them in (I believe Mandzukic was pursued last summer). We just won't fill the squad with them as we have done in the past. The older experienced heads are there to supplement the youthful core and bring a bit of experience/nous to the setup and to set standards. It's telling that the older players that we have been linked with/signed are players who have played at the very top for a very long time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

As a primary strategy that is the case but if a quality older player becomes available and fits then we'll try to bring them in (I believe Mandzukic was pursued last summer). We just won't fill the squad with them as we have done in the past. The older experienced heads are there to supplement the youthful core and bring a bit of experience/nous to the setup and to set standards. It's telling that the older players that we have been linked with/signed are players who have played at the very top for a very long time.

Where did you see we were after Mandzukic? 

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Cheers, I had some memory but not clear so thanks for clearing that up.

FWIW I don't think you were necessarily that wrong - he was a massively hyped up youngster and things just happened a bit too quickly for him (big move, lots of pressure, loaned out) and now he's regrouped and living up to the billing he had before. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where did you see we were after Mandzukic? 

A good few reports came out around Oct/Nov last year saying we were interested in Summer 2020 and got knocked back.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

FWIW I don't think you were necessarily that wrong - he was a massively hyped up youngster and things just happened a bit too quickly for him (big move, lots of pressure, loaned out) and now he's regrouped and living up to the billing he had before. 

I do worry that Alvarez might be the same with our expectation on him if he comes.  If he comes, I hope we treat him as a long term project and not to be a superstar now by the fans.

12 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

This makes perfect sense and is a very good strategy. Ashley Young the case in point, maybe another keeper to replace Heaton would add that too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I do worry that Alvarez might be the same with our expectation on him if he comes.  If he comes, I hope we treat him as a long term project and not to be a superstar now by the fans.

You never know but bit of a difference compared to Sanches who had his breakthrough at the 2016 Euro's as a 18 y.o kid and then got a huge money move to Bayern München with massive expectations and media focus.

Alvarez is 21 and would come here as a rotation option for a mid table side on the up where all the focus is on Grealish. 

• Like 1