Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

21 hours ago, RicRic said:

@nick76 i agree with what Nick has said here and yes you can be aggressive as witnessed myself however we are all villians so we have the clubs best interest at heart, certainly the way to go if we are to challenge top 4 which I believe we need to try and break down now, id agree only jack and martinez are top four guaranteed starters so we need to make other positions top four quality , i think konsa is very close to joining them on that list, yes they may be playing well some of these guys however no time for empathy you will be replaced if you are not capable of pushing the side into that elite bracket.

It’s not empathy, it’s mix of patience, analysis and understanding of what made the teams we want to be like successful, and economic pragmatism.

Atalanta, Lille, Leicester, Sevilla all did not get to where they are by breaking the bank for ‘top 4 quality’. Go look at the trajectory of players like Gosens - would you have replaced him season 1? How about season 2?

And financially, it’s unaffordable and unsustainable. 

We’re in the process of building a squad, emphasising youth and spending money only in targeted areas that will have the biggest impact in terms of improvement. 

Mings, Watkins, Konsa, Cash, McGinn and Targett are going to be more or less in those starting positions for at least the next 2 seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

We should buy better

In a perfect world yes, but you need a squad to win trophies anyway, and we can't drop half a billion pounds on transfers. Even if we bought Kante, Nakamba is a capable backup as a DM. 

• Like 1

Be intriguing to know if there was ever anything  in the kinks to Giorgian de Arrascaeta… Cannot see us signing Smith-Rowe, sadly, especially when they are about to drop £50mill on a CB and we need a new name to argue over…

Going back to Brandt at Dortmund, is he the type of signing we would look to make, ticks a lot of boxes. 

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

In a perfect world yes, but you need a squad to win trophies anyway, and we can't drop half a billion pounds on transfers. Even if we bought Kante, Nakamba is a capable backup as a DM. 

No one is talking about spending half a billion quid, I can come up with dozen players under 30m.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Will Nakamba be moved on if we are looking for a DM?  Didn't play much last season.

Doubt it - we only have him as a proper DCM, so we need another. If we signed Kante - we'd still need a back-up, and that would be Marv.

It's a tough position to play, and with Europe the aim, I think we'll see more of him once we sign a higher quality DCM (which obviously won't be Kante!) because it would mean we can retain our shape, and rotate a bit more.

Fall Spinning GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Be intriguing to know if there was ever anything  in the kinks to Giorgian de Arrascaeta… Cannot see us signing Smith-Rowe, sadly, especially when they are about to drop £50mill on a CB and we need a new name to argue over…

Going back to Brandt at Dortmund, is he the type of signing we would look to make, ticks a lot of boxes. 

spanking mr garrison GIF by South Park

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Was pretty hilarious when that bloke had a note with 4-5 names we were signing and everyone called bullshit. Until it was clear he was Deano's son's mate or something and we started signing those players one by one.

Shit was on another level.

We need that guy to pop up again that was remarkable I remember the time

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

If the club has any sense or ambition (which clearly it has both), Jack's interests will be put behind the club's at this stage and any bids will be rejected. We have a strong hand with Jack's contract, but also headroom in his contract to pay him more if needed to soften the blow. We got into dire straights selling our best players, it reduces capability, momentum and perception, all could de-rail a run at the top six. If we get to Champions league levels we enter a new dawn of the project and our owners have shown no limit to their spending to attain this ambition. I think we have much more in common with Man City than any other top six club in so far as our owner's not loading the club with debt or insisting on sustainability (just yet anyway). Our owners clearly have substantial funds which they are still willing to put into the project as did Abramovich and Mansour, and more so than the Glazers, Fenway or Kroenke (not sure on Leicester's but they seem more conservative).

Couldn’t have said it better Myself , yes i do see us on par with Man City in terms of backing and financial power well not on par but the closest next to chelsea, which is truly exciting and if we had finished top four we would be in dreamland because we would be going after some of the worlds best. unlike man city we had a name and was known before any cash injection or huge owners so we should have a lot more leverage 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

I actually see it the other way round, they’re think of getting Aouar too. They need to sell to have money. If they get Aouar or a similar player, they won’t play ESR, nor he’d be willing to stay. And before all of that, they’ll need finances.

5 hours ago, thabucks said:

"You really got me going"

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, a m ole said:

First it’s their height, now is the number of eyes! What next, we can’t have a keeper with no hands? Spoil sport.

Well I keep being told X player is one footed or that player can only play with one foot...surely that makes it hard to run around and kick the ball while remaining upright.  Look I have no issue with disabilities but surely some things are too much of a hinderance 😂