Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

Good post - appreciate your perspective.

As someone who can also get a little bit aggressive on here at times I thought I would round out the alternative view as best I can, since we’re all sharing.

I often feel on here that people don’t give players a chance. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a brutal league and only fractions of percentages separate teams poles apart on the table at times.

Often though, some players are not given the chance to show that they can go to the next level despite being new to the team, showing glimpses, or even showing rather good form. I feel as though there can be a tendency to want to upgrade without proper consideration for how the player has performed and how they could improve as they spend more time around the club.

Financial investments in players are also overlooked. If you spend £20M one year and £40M the next on two players who play the same position, that’s a poor investment. Especially if the £20M player can improve and grow in value with a little time and some coaching.

Lastly, there is so much more to building a squad than replacing existing players with more expensive ‘better’ players. Each of Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton and even ManU until recently have spent god knows how much on players for very little return. We are following the model similar to clubs like Leicester and Atalanta who had a nucleus of players that they added to over time who were all give time to develop. 

I am not saying we don’t need to bring players in to improve, and I think our recruitment this year and last has been excellent. I just feel like which parts of the team are the weakest links and therefore who and how many players we need to spend big on is under-considered and under-researched at times.

@nick76 i agree with what Nick has said here and yes you can be aggressive as witnessed myself however we are all villians so we have the clubs best interest at heart, certainly the way to go if we are to challenge top 4 which I believe we need to try and break down now, id agree only jack and martinez are top four guaranteed starters so we need to make other positions top four quality , i think konsa is very close to joining them on that list, yes they may be playing well some of these guys however no time for empathy you will be replaced if you are not capable of pushing the side into that elite bracket.

Edited by RicRic
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Can be a bit antsy if you come with an  unpopular view. Like my preference for not signing Ashley Young. I also feel that sometimes people don't read posts properly. I had to reiterate 3 times I expect Traore to improve just not to the level of Targett, and it was taken at Traore won't  improve.

At the moment I feel if we criticise any Villa players that have generally done well it doesn't go down well.

I am very pleased and Impressed by Targett's season. But I fundamentally see him as a limited player that becomes a liability if not played in such a way that negates his inherent weakness (lack of pace and athleticism). But as soon as I bring this up i get crap for it. To me though this is just an obvious fact.

I myself am like a dog with a bone sometimes when I find something particularly erroneous. I'm  beginning to learn that sometimes I just need to let it go. 

Still not convinced by the Young signing, but am optimistic, and hope those claims that he is still very fit and energetic are true as then the fullback positions are well covered.

And in regards to Targett if Young is still fit enough then he has a fight on his hands. Ultimately I see Targett as a back up left back if we ever become a top 6 outfit. 

In fairness Young wont be a starter however just a back up who we got on a free and still has the legs of a 29yr old and definitely has more legs than our Traore lol he will bring a winning mentality and experience with him and more than reliable to cover a few positions .... whats not to like 👍🏽

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

☺️

Ill tell you what if we can get ashley to bring him over with him then that really would be the icing on the cake  🎂 

Grealish- Lukaku - Watkins - Buendia 🔥

oooweeee

42 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ill tell you what if we can get ashley to bring him over with him then that really would be the icing on the cake  🎂 

Grealish- Lukaku - Watkins - Buendia 🔥

oooweeee

animation domination fox GIF by gifnews

• Haha 1

On 22/06/2021 at 15:39, Okonokos said:

Eq5BJLoW8AAsddo.jpg

Where’s Benrahma on this list?

Incidentally its interesting that two players we were gagging for (Benrahma and Maupay) haven’t really set the world on fire. Its almost like our recruitment team actually know talent and its value?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Really want JWP, it feels like it could that magic piece of the jigsaw that elevates us to a while new level🤞

Imagine the amount of fouls Emi, Jack, and Ollie will win next season - and have Young and JWP whipping them in or shooting directly. Would be a huge added dimension. 

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Where’s Benrahma on this list?

Incidentally its interesting that two players we were gagging for (Benrahma and Maupay) haven’t really set the world on fire. Its almost like our recruitment team actually know talent and its value?

i see ur point, but Benrahma wasnt in the PL that year, he was in the Champ.

I agree tho that Buendia is better.

• Thanks 1

On 22/06/2021 at 15:37, rayk said:

Really. So a player totally unproven in the Prem  (remember just one goal, a few assists) is worth 1/3 of what we would expect from Jack?

Emile Smith Rowe is by miles the better prospect - proven in the Prem, younger etc- and would cost us not much too far north of Beundia should Arsenal wish to sell.

Make no mistake about it, we overpaid for Beundia. Base of £33m this season vs £27m for Benrahma last season…..and I’d still rather have Benrahma tbo.

image.png.8e074b5b671d7862cdb7fffc37bf5236.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 22/06/2021 at 15:56, GarethRDR said:

He was only a couple loyalty stamps away from a free milkshake at Captain America's Hamburger Heaven so stayed in Norwich an extra season to redeem it.

Having had aforementioned milkshakes myself, I don't begrudge him the decision.

melissa mccarthy mika GIF

• Like 1

On 22/06/2021 at 16:10, Phil Silvers said:

That thread was a gathering place for numbskulls and should never be closed, ever.

God save our gracious Milot 

Long live our noble Milot

God save the fish

Send him Victorious 

Happy and fishpasteious

Long pike and troutious 

GOD SAVE MIIIIILOOOOOOOT

Youre Dumb Kaitlin Olson GIF by The Mick

• Shocked 1