Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Are you a Davis fan by any chance.

I suppose Jamie Vardy is the classic as well.

There are loads of examples of late developers but for every one there will be hundreds more that did not develop!!  Obviously, like any football transfer, the challenge is picking the one that does work.

Stefan Moore?

Luke Moore?

Weiman?

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually liked Weiman you know. lol

There was that golden end of a season when it looked like Weimann, Agbonlahor and Benteke as a 3 under Lambert would turn into something special. The Arsenal result sticks out but there was a run of games when all of a sudden we looked really dangerous. Then the presssure got to Lambert and he pulled up the drawbridge and we never played like that again!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Are you a Davis fan by any chance.

I suppose Jamie Vardy is the classic as well.

There are loads of examples of late developers but for every one there will be hundreds more that did not develop!!  Obviously, like any football transfer, the challenge is picking the one that does work.

Ha not so much - i.e. I’m not a Davis fan in the sense of thinking he is ever going to score a load of goals for us, but also I’m annoyed when people dismiss his chances of having a good career because he hasn’t yet, if that makes sense? Realistically I think he’ll end up having a decent Championship career.

But people writing off 21/22/23 year olds as a rule is nuts. 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually liked Weiman you know. lol

Agreed and he has gone on to have a decent career at a slightly lower level - kind of where I expect Davis to end up, scoring 1 in every 3 or 4 for someone like Bristol and making a couple of million quid doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Gossip rags linking us with a loan move for Ruben Loftus-Cheek :D 

Can see why the clubs would be all over that considering our stupendous success with our previous loan moves for their English fringe midfielders Drinkwater and Barkley.

Really don't want RLC. He struggled to get into the Fulham side for half of the season and was mostly a bit part player during the last 3 months when they were playing for their survival. He has terrible injury history and he looks slow and cumbersome. 1 goal and zero assists despite being deployed as a ACM.

Let Chelsea find some other club to pay £100k/w for their unwanted guys.

This is a weird one for me. I was thinking the other day what a fall from grace he has had. I can’t disagree with anything you say above but would probably have made a similar argument about Lingard who went and bossed it at West Ham.

With RLC I am never sure what sort of player he’s meant to be, so would probably prefer to give our kids a chance. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Wow, did someone move Manchester from Lancashire to Cheshire. Seriously though, I’d snatch their hands of for 25,000,000 for Dougie.

Haha my mistake. I was at college in Lancashire too! I don’t pay much attention to small clubs and their location. 🙂

I think £25m is probably a decent deal for us however he’s still developing and there’s the disruption factor too. I’m sure though £25m can still buy us a very decent replacement. 

I’m assuming it’s something we aren’t in control of but perhaps Dougie has some say in it? 

6 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

This is a weird one for me. I was thinking the other day what a fall from grace he has had. I can’t disagree with anything you say above but would probably have made a similar argument about Lingard who went and bossed it at West Ham.

With RLC I am never sure what sort of player he’s meant to be, so would probably prefer to give our kids a chance. 

He's only 5 months younger than Grealish as well so it's not like he's a prospect anymore. And Chelsea gave him a bumper £150k/w contract :o. Wouldn't even pay 1/3 of that for his services.

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get that, in honesty, my comment was more aimed at people trying to rubbish people supportive of a " Big , Powerful DM ", by using Kante ( Arguably the best combative midfielder in the world currently IMO ) as an example of why Luiz is the dogs bollox, regardless of " size ".

Simplifying the argument as if it is that straightforward. Kante makes up for what he lacks in size, with literally every other attribute.

Obviously every DM doesn't have to be big, similarly to how every target man doesn't have to be 6 ft 5. However there is a higher chance of a " target man " being successful as a target man, if he is a large and effective target as a base.

There are multiple variables which can add to and detract from that. For example! not every Striker/CF that is Ollie's size, could handle being a lone striker as well as Ollie, even bigger players. That is because of all of Ollie's other attributes.

Maybe if we start saying " strength, athleticism, combativeness, leap, heading " etc people would be more understanding? There is a reason why Nakamba has recently gotten plaudits, and he is no Giant.

In summary, the mid tier DMs tend to be more imposing, when you go up a class, size matters less, as the skill levels and Intelligence goes up and offset the need for certain physical attributes.

I don't have a problem with Luiz, I have a problem with the manipulation of the point people championing a strong and imposing midfielder are trying to make.

I couldn't have put it any better......absolutley spot on.

Kante's reading of the game, his anticipation and positional sense, sets him aside from most players....but equally he is not shy of getting his foot in, to disrupt play......for a dot, he causes trouble for opponents.

That is the key, to that position, causing an effect to disrupt oppositions intentions of play.....He does it with aplomb.

I still favour a more powerful specimen in that role, but would not say no to Kante....I too do not have a problem with Luiz, except to say, I don't not see the level of player to compare with Kante, despite them both being on the slight side.....Douglas may prove me wrong, but at present, I see a player, with more attacking tendency.....Dougie is not in the same class as Kante without the ball.

In most statements in football there is always and exception, thankfully you have the articulation to see that, and thus have described the situation to a tee.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I couldn't have put it any better......absolutley spot on.

Kante's reading of the game, his anticipation and positional sense, sets him aside from most players....but equally he is not shy of getting his foot in, to disrupt play......for a dot, he causes trouble for opponents.

That is the key, to that position, causing an effect to disrupt oppositions intentions of play.....He does it with aplomb.

I still favour a more powerful specimen in that role, but would not say no to Kante....I too do not have a problem with Luiz, except to say, I don not see the level of player to compare with Kante, despite them both being on the slight side.....Douglas may prove me wrong, but at present, I see a player, with more attacking tendency.....Dougie is not in the same class as Kante without the ball.

In most statements in football there is always and exception, thankfully you have the articulation to see that, and thus have described the situation to a tee.

And he drives a mini. Kante is a legend.

2 hours ago, sne said:

Gossip rags linking us with a loan move for Ruben Loftus-Cheek :D 

Can see why the clubs would be all over that considering our stupendous success with our previous loan moves for their English fringe midfielders Drinkwater and Barkley.

Really don't want RLC. He struggled to get into the Fulham side for half of the season and was mostly a bit part player during the last 3 months when they were playing for their survival. He has terrible injury history and he looks slow and cumbersome. 1 goal and zero assists despite being deployed as a ACM.

Let Chelsea find some other club to pay £100k/w for their unwanted guys.

Sanson > RLC

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Lingard went and played for the only manager he has had success with. Completely different situations. 

If City are selling Lukas Nmecha for as little as £7m I'd be seriously tempted to take a punt. Only has 12 months left on his contract and has been banging them in for Anderlecht on loan and for the German U-21's.

Ex winger and pretty versatile who works hard and is pretty fast. 

Much rather have him as backup to Watkins than Davies and Wes who I both think would benefit from loans.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

Wow, did someone move Manchester from Lancashire to Cheshire. Seriously though, I’d snatch their hands of for 25,000,000 for Dougie.

Me too. He’s a decent player but I’m not as big of a fan as some on here. Can’t see city wanting him back. 

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Me too, man’s a goal scoring machine. Think he’ll cost way over £40M though. 

I don’t watch European football so I don’t know anything about this lad, but I’m sure I read this morning that West Ham are trying to sign him

Edited by av1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get that, in honesty, my comment was more aimed at people trying to rubbish people supportive of a " Big , Powerful DM ", by using Kante ( Arguably the best combative midfielder in the world currently IMO ) as an example of why Luiz is the dogs bollox, regardless of " size ".

Simplifying the argument as if it is that straightforward. Kante makes up for what he lacks in size, with literally every other attribute.

Obviously every DM doesn't have to be big, similarly to how every target man doesn't have to be 6 ft 5. However there is a higher chance of a " target man " being successful as a target man, if he is a large and effective target as a base.

There are multiple variables which can add to and detract from that. For example! not every Striker/CF that is Ollie's size, could handle being a lone striker as well as Ollie, even bigger players. That is because of all of Ollie's other attributes.

Maybe if we start saying " strength, athleticism, combativeness, leap, heading " etc people would be more understanding? There is a reason why Nakamba has recently gotten plaudits, and he is no Giant.

In summary, the mid tier DMs tend to be more imposing, when you go up a class, size matters less, as the skill levels and Intelligence goes up and offset the need for certain physical attributes.

I don't have a problem with Luiz, I have a problem with the manipulation of the point people championing a strong and imposing midfielder are trying to make.

Doesn’t that kind of prove their point though?

If Luiz develops his traits further to the elite level then we don’t need a big CDM because Luiz will be more like a Brazilian Kante??

14 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Doesn’t that kind of prove their point though?

If Luiz develops his traits further to the elite level then we don’t need a big CDM because Luiz will be more like a Brazilian Kante??

5 hours ago, sne said:

Pretty sure Luiz buy back price will have been bumped to £30m or £35m now. It was £25m last summer and goes up each year if the articles when we signed him were correct.

Don't want us to sell him either way.

I am also pretty sure that is what was reported as the release clause at this point too. I would sell him for 35m at this point.

38 minutes ago, Awol said:

Me too, man’s a goal scoring machine. Think he’ll cost way over £40M though. 

Possibly, the fact that he has 'only' done it in Austria keeps the cost down I think?