Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sure Tammy did like it here but the fact is he didnt want to leave Chelsea last 2 seasons and we have upgraded. No chance in hell we are paying 40 million for a back up centre forward which he would be at this stage

I dont think is many teams that have splashed 100 million on a 3 striker forward line especially not a midtable team

I don't think many mid table teams have been owned by guys worth nearly $40bn (if you count Sawaris' family wealth).

If they have the ambition - which they seem to - then they can do what they want.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not as a starting formation but the Fulham game showed sometimes playing two upfront can get us results. In that game we were woeful for 70 minutes but looked very good when Davis came on so in terms of plan B two upfront with Jack in number 10 should be tried a bit more given we didn't get many points at all when losing in games last season.

Probably rules out a Tammy signing as he wouldn't go from Chelsea to bench warming somewhere else but we really need a backup striker DS will have confidence to put on at hour mark next season in games we're winning or losing.

Davis is still really a last resort option based on when he comes on. Wesley will be higher in pecking order but while it was good to see him make cameo subs didn't see a huge amount to suggest he'll be a huge threat in August, long road back for him.

Wesley was playing as a CAM. And Watkins was our Left or Right winger at the time. 

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Hasn’t had the option though if he wanted, he obviously doesn’t favour Davis so had no options to do anything else.  I agree he loves 433 but he’s had no option to play anything else

I don't think he played 442 at Brentford probably not Walsall either. Barely any PL team plays 442 now. Burnley Southampton, Leicester sometimes. 

There seems loads on here obsessed with 442 and that we should deploy it even though Smith probably never will

If we play 4-4-2 we will lose some of the positive work that Grealish does. He is not a winger or wide midfielder, but more of a left sided forward. He needs to be able to move around the pitch and a prescriptive role, such as on the left side of a midfield 4, will not be a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't think many mid table teams have been owned by guys worth nearly $40bn (if you count Sawaris' family wealth).

If they have the ambition - which they seem to - then they can do what they want.

yeah but Chelsea, City or even United who have more money and never had this expensive forward line

Its bad management just throwing money at something and I dont think our owners are idiots

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I don't think he played 442 at Brentford probably not Walsall either. Barely any PL team plays 442 now. Burnley Southampton, Leicester sometimes. 

There seems loads on here obsessed with 442 and that we should deploy it even though Smith probably never will

I look forward to Smith finally saying this

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We won't spend 30-40m on a backup striker and we won't play 2 strikers and Watkins won't change from lone striker. I'm sorry that's the reality. 

I'm sorry that's opinion not reality. 

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we play 4-4-2 we will lose some of the positive work that Grealish does. He is not a winger or wide midfielder, but more of a left sided forward. He needs to be able to move around the pitch and a prescriptive role, such as on the left side of a midfield 4, will not be a good thing.

Ollie can play wide. 

playing two strikers doesn't mean we have to play 442, just as 433 doesn't mean we play 3 strikers.

anyway not sure why so many people are suddenly wetting their pants about us 'wasting 40 million' on Tammy. There have been no solid links yet, I agree what there is so far is lazy assumptions.

I would love it if he signed, not saying a striker is the priority either, just saying.

No one can criticise him for thinking he had a chance with Chelsea, he's not done badly since we got promoted, it's only under Tuchel that he lost his place in the side for Werner who scores once every 50 shots.

Citeh have 22 players none of whom would have cost less than £40m (in current transfer value terms), other than Foden??

Chelski likewise ... Havertz (70m); Werner (50m); Pulisic (55m); Ziyech (40m)

and both supposedly wanting Haaland or Kane for £100m +????

Even Newcastle have Joelinton (40m) and Wilson!!

And you think we can't have two "9"s costing circa £30m each???

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

Citeh have 22 players none of whom would have cost less than £40m (in current transfer value terms), other than Foden??

We can have Harry Kane if we pay him a million a week no doubt, it is just if it is worth it, if we even have the budget....

Just now, barry'sboots said:

I'd rather get an expensive attacking midfielder (like 3 Chelski you listed) than a striker as we don't play 2 up top

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Just on this two up top thing.... teams generally only play two up top from the start of a game when they play three central defenders.

-------------------------- Emi --------------------------

Tuanzebe ---------- Ezri ------------- Mings 

Cash ---- SJM ---- Bissouma --- Targett

------------------------- Jack -------------------------

---------------- Tammy -- Ollie -------------------

Would be very interesting??

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Smith doesn't do 442 so yeah 

Completely agree, we haven't even brought the players to date for that system it's 4-2-3-1 or 433 and that's it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, barry'sboots said:

Tuanzebe and Tammy aren't coming back. Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, barry'sboots said:

Not to me, I don't like the system, it lacks width and all you need to do is stop the full back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I’m not sure Newcastle would have signed Wilson if Joelinton actually played like a £40m striker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Not to me, I don't like the system, it lacks width and all you need to do is stop the full back.

It has seemed to work ok for Chelski.  The full backs provide the width and I think both Cash and Targett would be ideal for that.

I'm not saying start it every game BUT it would give an option that might work better against certain teams e.g. Citeh where James and Chilwell stopped Sterling and Mahrez and Citeh were forced inside into Chelski's higher energy and numbers.  The two up top, and particularly Werner's pace, was too hard for Citeh to deal with - we have the pace with Ollie but better finishing and a better supply line with Jack. 

• Like 1