Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Its been said before....The coaches can't spread themselves over all the players for dedicated tuition, young players do learn from the seniors, too....JT has been a big influence to Mings,Konsa & Hause.

One or two top class seniors in the squad, would be ok for me.....but we also have to realise they would represent no sell on value....it would have to be training ground value...or selective games....that may not appeal to the owners.

Yeah I was calling for a few senior heads during 19/20 given all the leads we were blowing that nearly got us relegated.

Now I'm not so sure. The squad has grown up a fair bit in last 12 months and likes of Mings and McGinn can fill that leadership void. We just need better quality in certain positions to continue improving.

With this strategy though we'd never have signed McGrath who was I think 30 when we got him. Likes of Kevin Richardson and Andy Townsend were also around 30 when we got them in and same with Merson and Dublin.

Of course little resale value but all those played huge parts in us winning stuff or being one game from winning FA cup so yes there is a role for them if you can identify one who want to join for the right reasons and can still run about e.g. not Pires who was well past it when we got him in a decade ago.

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I didn’t say he was but it’s where Dean plays him and wants him… otherwise why has he played there the vast majority of the time since we’ve had him?

You misunderstood my point.

he plays him there through lack of having another defensive midfielder, mainly because he doesn't rate Nakamba although he realised we needed Nakamba more than we did Luiz in the last few games and if we are doing badly he always drops Luiz.

McGinn has swapped with Luiz in the mythical defensive midfielder role.

The truth is Luiz plays as a deep lying playmaker and McGinn plays as a slightly less deep lying playmaker. When Nakamba plays McGinn gets forward more.

Not slating Luiz as I think he is talented, just that Dean doesn't quite know where to play him.

Edited by VillanousOne

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Luiz plays there because he's better on the ball, he can pivot, Nakamba can't 

Deano is sacrificing the defending element of the role for the ball contra element of the role

We play Newcastle for example and anticipate 60% of the ball then Luiz is a better option for the position

The problem is deano doesn't rotate Nakamba in enough IMO 

sounds like Luiz would be better on Strictly Come Dancing

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we aren't going to sign another strong CM/CDM, I'd almost want to insist Marvellous plays ( As if Deano is listening to me. Lol ).

No problem with Doug being in the side as a CM:

Luiz/McGinn.               Sanson/Ramsey

Nakamba

For example.

No CAM? No De Arrascaeta? ☹️😉 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No CAM? No De Arrascaeta? ☹️😉 

I'm just referring to what we've currently got mate haha.

Insert the names which make you happy ;)

I was only referring to the DM position really.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm just referring to what we've currently got mate haha.

Insert the names which make you happy ;)

I was only referring to the DM position really.

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If Minamino is available for a reasonable fee, i would definitely take a look at that!

Why couldn't he nail down a starting spot in average Southampton team?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Deano is sacrificing the defending element of the role for the ball contra element of the role

New post on retrogamingblog | Fun, Over the years, Happy new

Contra GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Pass this note to Deano ( up, Down, Up Down, Left, Right, Left, Right )

If you know, you know.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

New post on retrogamingblog | Fun, Over the years, Happy new

Contra GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

Pass this note to Deano ( up, Down, Up Down, Left, Right, Left, Right )

If you know, you know.

Thought cheating was a reserved priviledge of man utd

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Picking a fight?! Sweet jesus. I disagreed with a comment, I commented on it. Is that not one of the purposes or a forum? I also agreed with a comment of yours, and commented on it. Take a breath my friend, its the weekend.

Fine, whatever. I think Heaton was an excellent servant to the club, for some reason you don't. Seems an odd that you can't just wish him well.

Have a great weekend.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why couldn't he nail down a starting spot in average Southampton team?

who knows?, might be a poor shout but personally i quite like him as a player.

Targett wasnt a starter at Southampton either!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

How does everyone feel about Morgan Sansons role next season? Still a bit of an unknown quantity for me.

Why don't you try looking in the Sanson thread.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

There’s a lot of experience gone from those three today. You see the comments from the players about how much they all helped as well as setting standards. I wouldn’t be surprised to us add an experienced head amongst the ranks. Probably a number 2 GK.

Its a big thing as well, we are in a better place than 2019 but the experience we lost then was really important. Jedinak, Whelan, Hutton and Adomah were necessary losses but big for the experience. Probably 2000 games of experience 

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Important to remember how much players, and especially young players can develoo from one season. A player can look absolutely lost one season and look brilliant the next.

I'm all for giving Ramsey a loan, but I wouldn't be surprised if looked the part next season.

Yep not saying all players will be similar but Harry Kane is perfect example. He looked way out of his depth as a youngster and on loan but patience paid off for Spurs