Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

McGinn can be so frustrating and yet so delightful at times…

He’s great when he charges after players and often nicks the ball - that’s his greatest asset.

But, he is often slow and sloppy in possession and loses the ball too easily.

His attitude, determination and workrate are excellent and he is a great aid to the side when he’s on top form, but he has been inconsistent and is not that technically gifted…

What’s the solution? Time & coaching? Rest/rotation? (his game almost entirely depends on optimum energy and stamina levels)

Or should we upgrade and have him on the bench?

I wonder if Sanson will take over next season…

I just love McGinn. He plays every week for me. Wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world. I think it'll be a big season for him next year.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

I just love McGinn. He plays every week for me. Wouldn't trade him for anyone in the world. I think it'll be a big season for him next year.

Just needs to remove that sloppiness from his game… but he can be excellent for us and I love it when he presses and nicks the ball…

To digress:

Any thoughts on Rashica?

Edited by Jas10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just needs to remove that sloppiness from his game… but he can be excellent for us and I love it when he presses and nicks the ball…

To digress:

Any thoughts on Rashica?

Love him too and want him to be everything I want him to be but the ruthless **** in me wants success at any cost, either he improves enough to nail his spot or we buy big, I would keep him in the squad though 100%.

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

To digress:

Any thoughts on Rashica?

McGinns game is all about playing right on the edge. Everything is high intensity so it's just inevitable that there will be the odd sloppy moment. No question his biggest assets are driving forward with the ball and high intensity pressing. He looks so much better when playing with Nakamba than Luiz too so if we can get a "Declan Rice" style player to put alongside him we can just let him run riot and he'd be in his element.

As for he who shall not be named. I've seen enough of him over the past few years to know he's a quality player and shouldn't be written off. He's had bad luck with injuries this season and it's just gone stale at Bremen for him. I think a move somewhere will rejuvenate him, provided he can stay fit too. Someone will pick him up for probably £5-10 million which is essentially risk free nowadays. He'd be a good signing for a lot of clubs in my opinion. Needs a fresh start away from that circus.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Love him too and want him to be everything I want him to be but the ruthless **** in me wants success at any cost, either he improves enough to nail his spot or we buy big, I would keep him in the squad though 100%.

Always a place for McGinn, the question is whether he should start at all times regardless of circumstance.

I agree with @TRO.

McGinn/Luiz/Sanson/Ramsey should be battling it out for the 2 CM spots further forward.

None should be guaranteed a start.

We should sign a top notch CM/CDM to challenge/rotate with Nakamba.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm ready for a summer of looking at random YouTube videos for random footballers. 

Let's the craziness commence.

This!

very exciting to see what our recruitment team have been cooking up. Unleash the speculation! let us sail the seas of summer  with full sails of itk's , best of youtube compilations and seeing future and current Villa players at the Euros :)

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He certainly didn't **** get it when he played for us, the **** prick. 

I felt this at the time but now knowing what he was going through with injuries and still apparently an amazing mentor to the young lads I have more time for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Question: are we impacted by the Euros? 

Will we try to do business before?

Euro 2020 final is 11th July

PL 2021/2022 begins 14th August.

So 12th July probably fielding a lot of bids for El Ghazi after he scores the winner in the final.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Question: are we impacted by the Euros? 

Will we try to do business before?

Euro 2020 final is 11th July

PL 2021/2022 begins 14th August.

We've had the benefit of knowing what division we'll be in next season much earlier than we have done in the last 3 seasons. I think deals will already be set up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Abraham isn't happening.

We play a one striker system and Ollie is our guy.

Think we will sign another winger, a DM, and potentially a right back

What if Watkins breaks his leg in the first game?

• Like 1

I’d love to see a top quality winger come in who means Traore, El Ghazi and Carney/other kids are competing for a spot - i.e. Grealish could play wide with top quality winger to accommodate someone else at #10/in midfield, or Grealish could play central with new winger and Traore/El Ghazi wide. And Grealish needs to be able to miss some games as well so his shins can be a managed better.

I am happy with Targett as a starter but would like to see a really exciting youngster challenging him or a backup who competes and runs him close. Likewise a right back unless Smith is happy with Guilbert as back up.

That aside I’m just open to where Smith and co think they see ways to improve the team. We aren’t perfect in more than one or two positions, but we are pretty solid. Building the team into a squad will see us continue to climb.

• Like 1