Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not sure why Buendia keeps getting mentioned. Why on earth would Norwich sell him?

From a footballing sense, they shouldn't. But from a financial sense, they're a small club who often sell their best players. They came up last time and spent nothing and went straight back down. They got a lot of praise for that, but I think it was naive and stupid.

Maybe this time they feel they can restructure the squad to cope and survive by selling a crown jewel or 2. I think they'll sell their best players if clubs match their values. In that sense, they are all for sale.

47 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would take a look at Daichi Kamada from Eintracht Frankfurt, 5 goals and 15 assists in 32 games, plays MC/CAM role, aged 24, very technical and intelligent player, and he's Japanese so might give us some new fans for the Villa brand?

From what i have seen, although he isnt noted as a LW or RW, he does look like he could play either.

Grealish, Kamada & a new RW would be something to see.

I came here to repeat exactly this. He can also play CF.

Would much prefer him to Buendia or De Arrascaeta - more production and more traits that suggest he has higher levels he can get to.

Still not convinced Buendia can do what he did in the Championship in the premier league and it’s a fairly big ask for De Arrascaeta to seemlessly transition to the Premier League having never played outside of South America. I would happily sign De Arrascaeta in addition to Kamada.

• Like 1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uruguayanheroes.com/2020/09/04/giorgian-de-arrascaeta-the-uruguayan-who-gives-samba-and-garra-to-the-brazilian-league/amp/

Few countries, if any, produce so many exciting footballers as Brazil. The likes of Ronaldinho, Zico, Pelé, Neymar, Ronaldo… the list goes on and on. They simply dazzle you with their way of playing the game. They have an unique relationship with the ball, as if it is their love. They control it with ease, dribble it with grace, pass it with reluctance and shoot it with beauty. These are the kind of players that make young boys and girls around the world fall in love with the beautiful game.

Giorgian De Arrascaeta was once such a boy. Only he was born in a country where a scathing tackle or a nasty elbow were celebrated. The land of the hard men, the ruthless defenders, the resilient midfielders and the goal scoring machines up front. Uruguay have had mesmerizing footballers like Juan Albert Schiaffino, Enzo Francescoli or Diego Forlán, but the country has never been renowned for this type of player.

Nonetheless, De Arrascaeta falls into that category. A No10 who plays football the way it is meant to. Playing on intuition, depending on the magic in his feet rather than force of his body. He debuted for Defensor Sporting in 2012 and quickly won his place in the team. In his second professional season, De Arrascaeta was one of the leading players in Defensor’s historic Copa Libertadores run, which ended in the semi-finals.

De Arrascaeta’s fantastic performances did not go unnoticed as many clubs started monitoring him. It seemed that a move to Europe was imminent. But like an unpredictable winger, De Arrascaeta went left while the defender thought he would go right. He moved to Rio de Janeiro to join Flamengo in January 2019 for a record transfer fee (€15M) in Brazilian football.

Flamengo marched to the Brasileirão title, with De Arrascaeta contributing an impressive 13 goals and 14 assists in 21 league games.

In the closing minutes, the Argentinian side were keeping possession of the ball deep into Flamengo’s half. The Brazilians were in a race against time and quickly needed the ball to search for the equalizer.

That’s where De Arrascaeta comes in. Having tracked back all the way towards his own box, he dispossesses a River Plate player with a good sliding tackle and advances the play into the opposing half. With the clock running down, Bruno Henrique picks up the ball from the wing. While his teammate is looking for a solution to unlock River’s defense, De Arrascaeta spots an open space in River’s organization. Bruno Henrique sees this and finds De Arrascaeta, who then reaches Gabriel Barbosa at the far post for a tap-in.

Flamengo made their comeback complete when Gabriel Barbosa – better known as GabiGol – scored the winner deep into injury time. They were champions and GabiGol was the man receiving all the praise, and rightly so. De Arrascaeta’s work for the equalizer cannot be overlooked, though. It shows the incredible improvement he has made off-the-ball and the intelligence and vision that make him such an unique player. Of course, his dribbles, goals and assists are the eye catchers but the aforementioned qualities are what make De Arrascaeta the best and most complete No10 in Brazilian football right now.

Then there is obviously the question, why is he not in Europe yet? At 25, you would argue that if a player is any good, he would’ve already been snapped up by an European club. What people seem to forget is that playing in a stadium like Maracanã, for a club like Flamengo with their incredible fan base isn’t nothing. And neither is De Arrascaeta or other top players in Brazil on peanuts. They earn good money.

Earlier on in his career, De Arrascaeta often referred to playing in Europe as one of his dreams, but recently he has assured that he is comfortable at Flamengo. And who can blame him? He is an idol to the Flamengo fans and one of the best players in South American football. The Uruguayan is the best No10 in the land of the No10’s. That’s no mean feat.

Christian Bale Oooo GIF

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

I think we all need to start preparing for the fact that we won’t sign the DM a lot of people on here are looking for.

If we assume that we will have a CAM and we do sign a DM - I just can’t understand how the Sanson signing would make sense. It would effective mean you have 3 players fighting for a CM spot (Mcginn, Luiz and Sanson). I just can’t see it imo

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

From a footballing sense, they shouldn't. But from a financial sense, they're a small club who often sell their best players. They came up last time and spent nothing and went straight back down. They got a lot of praise for that, but I think it was naive and stupid.

Maybe this time they feel they can restructure the squad to cope and survive by selling a crown jewel or 2. I think they'll sell their best players if clubs match their values. In that sense, they are all for sale.

I'd be amazed if they sold key players after getting promoted. It's just not something that seems to happen. 

Their fans would be furious as well. 

Just can't see it happening. Would be like Brentford still selling Watkins to us if they'd been promoted.  

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Correct on all two of three afaic, based on this season, though I'll admit his average performances has been more in the mediocre area than shit.

Still not worth the fee and an obviously wrong signing from the bat. Which I said and was right.

Do you honestly not see enough ability there to think it's worth persisting with him, and that if he can be coached to put it all together he could be an incredibly dangerous weapon for the club moving forward? 

I'm not saying he hasn't been incredibly inconsistent and frustrating, but surely you can see that he's a talented footballer? 

17 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I think we all need to start preparing for the fact that we won’t sign the DM a lot of people on here are looking for.

If we assume that we will have a CAM and we do sign a DM - I just can’t understand how the Sanson signing would make sense. It would effective mean you have 3 players fighting for a CM spot (Mcginn, Luiz and Sanson). I just can’t see it imo

Smith has consistently said he wants 2 quality players fighting for each position. 

I would like to see Ramsey go out on loan, personally. Which, assuming we strengthen the forward positions leaving the more advanced role occupied, would give us Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson and McGinn.

Not that shocking to think they might move Nakamba on? 

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Pretty funny people saying he's better or worse when it's obvious they have not seem him play much at all.

Personally I'd look for better quality, but it's VT in a nutshell to be obsessed by a player based on youtube clips.

Remember Benrahma was the second coming as well. And Edouard was miles better than Watkins cause he scored in the SPL.

Now that's funny you pointing that out in first para then in your next paragraph point out we should look for better quality which your just doing that exact thing your laughing at in your first para.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Now that's funny you pointing that out in first para then in your next paragraph point out we should look for better quality which your just doing that exact thing your laughing at in your first para.

It's not, because I've actually seen him play. Which was kind of obvious from what you quoted, but you're welcome.

Traore possesses a lot of quality & technical ability, I keep saying it but he hasn’t even completed a full season with us.

A vast upgrade on El Ghazi & Trez, who many seem to have been much more patient with and accepting of…

I would be glad if we could get him some genuine competition at RW though and an upgrade is more than welcome.

He has made a major contribution this season, is and will be a valuable member of the squad going forwards and will improve like some of our other players (such as Targett & Konsa).

Please don’t write him off, he has provided some of the most entertaining moments of the season and will continue to give us joy…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Err I don't think that's correct. One's a regular goalscorer in the hardest league in the world, the other is an average player for a relegated club. He's also become very injury prone.

Yeah but Rashica is a VT legend, over 18000 pages, 225000 gifs, we have to sign him. Doesn't matter what happens after that cos we're rich, stinking rich.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yeah but Rashica is a VT legend, over 18000 pages, 225000 gifs, we have to sign him. Doesn't matter what happens after that cos we're rich, stinking rich.

Sign him and re-open the thread. Let his cult status grow. Goals would be a bonus. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Looks like I'm the only one here against the signing of De Arrascaeta; although I admit I know nothing about him.

You have to question why at 26 years old he is still playing in the Brazilian league. Also South American players notoriously take at least a season to get upto full speed in the Premier League. We need players to come in and hit the ground running again next season.

I have no idea of his value, but if we can pick him up on the cheap like we did Sanson then it at least buys us time to get him up to speed over the course of next season.

Alot of these questions are answered in the profile which has been posted in here a couple of times.

He is highly revered at Flamengo, and earns very good money. I know some of us can't see outside of the PL/Europe, but Flamengo is a HUGE club.

The fans and Club as a whole adore him.

Ollie Watkins was playing in the Championship until he was 24. football and player rating is never this straightforward IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1