Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

The context that Traore is being discussed as a ST though is in an emergency. We haven’t had an emergency this season. If all of Watkins doing 2 ACLs, Wes isn’t up to scratch at all, Davis can’t do the job and Barry can’t fill in from time to time happens, as previously outlined by Smith, Traore can do a job for us there.

Bingo! It is a priority for a future window.

If you look at French Champions Lille -  they have a lot of great young talent but they brought in a 35 year old striker in Yilmaz and a 37 year old Jose Fonte formed a solid defensive partnership. That's why I think we should not be so rigid in terms of recruiting young players. We need to be balanced and compliment our youth core with experience and role players that can come in and do a job. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised they'd let him leave. Has he been injured this season? 

From the bat I'd say he's a good player, but I dunno about him at that fee they'd ask. Then again I loved the idea of Watkins and Cash, but was saying the price was too high. So what do I know. 

• Like 1

On the striker subject, I think it's clear to see that we need to sort out the backup striker role over the Summer.

Keinan Davis has the potential to be a very good striker, unfortunately he just hasn't had the game time to prove it despite some goods cameos this season. Next season he needs a loan to a Championship or PL side; currently there's little value in him and so a loan would both increase his value and allow him to prove himself in front of goal for a shot at first team football at Villa.

Wesley I think also needs a move. Unfortunately he's not going to get the game time at Villa that will allow himself to build himself up to full fitness and regain his form. A loan move would be good for him this summer; however if he doesn't perform we lose a lot of value on him. If a team comes in with a bid, it may be in our interest to sell him and cover our losses.

Louie Barry just isn't ready for PL football yet. There's been a lot of talk that he can be our backup striker next season, but he's not physically ready for that yet. However I think he will slowly be introduced to the first team squad by the end of next season in the same way Chukwuemeka has this season.

The need for a new £30-40 million striker just isn't there unless Smith has visions of playing two up front. If we can pick up a solid backup striker for low value; a calculated risk from the lower leagues or abroad then I think it would be the best way to go. This is what Lange has been brought in for and it could well be his most important job for next season where we don't look to go out and splash the cash on a well known player.

I think Ornstein has a reputation for being very reliable, not really surprising that Norwich would be willing to sell Buendia given their business model, and people say that they wouldn't sell him because of wanting to keep him to help them avoid relegation, well they were relegated with him in the side the season before last, they might feel that with the money they'd get for him they could improve their team overall.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

The context that Traore is being discussed as a ST though is in an emergency.

Is it? I've seen people say that our back up strikers aren't of the required standard to push Watkins/be a useful option were he to be out for a team that has ambitions of kicking on further in the league and Traore is being presented as a solution to that in response.

I don't necessarily want us to sign a striker, certainly not more than I do a midfielder, winger etc, but I understand the logic in signing one and it tallies up with what Smith has said, the likes have Percy have reported and so forth.

We're being linked to Josh Doig along with Arsenal, Watford, Club Brugge, Leeds, Stoke and AC Milan. Would seem to fit the bill for the type of Left-Back that we would be after as an understudy to Targett.

Maybe loaning out some of our youth players as make weights for championship signings ?

I could see us possibly looking at Michael olise and loaning reading Jacob Ramsey.

Would on paper seem a good way of getting our youngsters experience while snapping up the best in the championship?

They get a promising player to cover a position we sign one of their players from.

Our young players get 12 months first team mens football.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

We're being linked to Josh Doig along with Arsenal, Watford, Club Brugge, Leeds, Stoke and AC Milan. Would seem to fit the bill for the type of Left-Back that we would be after as an understudy to Targett.

That's got Villa written all of it.

23 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

That's got Villa written all of it.

Young, talented Scottish players probably look at McGinn and see Villa as a decent opportunity. If we can pick up this lad and Turnbull for around £10 million that’s good, low-risk business with potentially high-returns.

Dean has said over and over again that we need to add creativity to the squad. Buendia is already settled in England, has Prem experience and is only 24. We can afford him. 

I don’t gamble, but if I did then Buendia to Villa seems like a decent one to back. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Dean has said over and over again that we need to need to add creativity to the squad. Buendia is already settled in England, has Prem experience and is only 24. We can afford him. 

I don’t gamble, but if I did then Buendia to Villa seems like a decent one to back. 

Yes, Smith literally said PM last night that we lacked creativity when Jack was absent and that we will address in summer.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the Buendia links.

If we were going to buy him then surely we would have taken him last summer after Norwich's relegation; his value will now have increased with their promotion and there willingness to sell decreased.