Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Berge seems to massively split opinion. I haven’t seen enough of him - what sort of midfielder is he?

Berge is clearly talented, although from what i have seen, he seems more of an 8 than a pure 6.

• Like 1

Just now, brummybloke said:

How did wolves get on this year with just 1 main striker ? He got injured in a footballing accident and wolves went to shit solely relying on 1 forward without a replacement.

We need a goal scorer who can press, of which Davis bless him and wes are not particularly progressive at both things.

Grealish earns his England place on the left, yet he wants to play in the middle at villa, he can play more than one position, so can watkins who has only in the last few years, played as a forward. So saying or implying watkins is nailed on every game next season to play 90 mins per game as our only forward seems slightly optimistic.

Louie Barry

Louie Barry has been playing on the left wing for most of the season, for the academy sides and for England U18s, and that's probably where he will play when he first comes into the first team. I wouldn't expect him to play through the middle at all next season.

• Like 3

Main targets for me would be 1-2 dominant midfielders and right winger. 

If we can start to get control of the midfield we become a very dangerous team. At the moment when we're struggling, teams are just waltzing it through there and when we win it back we can't maintain possession. 

Ideally we'd have a player in the starting 11 who can score free kicks as well given Jack wins so many of them. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

How did wolves get on this year with just 1 main striker ? He got injured in a footballing accident and wolves went to shit solely relying on 1 forward without a replacement.

We need a goal scorer who can press, of which Davis bless him and wes are not particularly progressive at both things.

Grealish earns his England place on the left, yet he wants to play in the middle at villa, he can play more than one position, so can watkins who has only in the last few years, played as a forward. So saying or implying watkins is nailed on every game next season to play 90 mins per game as our only forward seems slightly optimistic.

Exactly the point I was making. Wolves have been woeful without Jimenez. Anything can happen in football and I think it would be reckless not to get another striker in.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

He's not even 18 yet. I'd be surprised if he makes more than 5 first team appearances next season.

Age is just a number. If you're good enough you're old enough.

Greenwood was 17 when he made his debut and started establish himself a first teamer

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Age is just a number. If you're good enough you're old enough.

Greenwood was 17 when he made his debut and started establish himself a first teamer

So let me get this straight. Assuming that Davis wants first team football next season (and I can't say I'd blame him) and we let him go, you be happy with Watkins, Wesley and Barry?

We need to keep improving. Do you really think that will be enough to help us crack the top 6? Why would you be against us signing a solid, experienced backup striker?

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

So let me get this straight. Assuming that Davis wants first team football next season (and I can't say I'd blame him) and we let him go, you be happy with Watkins, Wesley and Barry?

We need to keep improving. Do you really think that will be enough to help us crack the top 6? Why would you be against us signing a solid, experienced backup striker?

Spurs have got away with no decent backup to Kane for years, not to say that's wise but even for them it's tough to get quality who knows they're only signed as backup 

Also people keep leaving out Traore who has more pedigree than Davis, over 70 starts at CF in several European leagues/comps with excellent goal ratio

Edited by Kiwivillan

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Spurs have got away with no decent backup to Kane for years, not to say that's wise but even for them it's tough to get quality who knows they're only backup 

They've had a backup striker to Kane every season though. And why should we follow the Spurs model? Not exactly worked out great for them, has it? Watkins has been brilliant but he needs someone to push him that little bit further too. Competition is always, always healthy.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

If Ollie gets injured or out of form we are screwed.  I’ve heard your argument and other saying the same thing but we have no idea on Wes re injury, Davis is not the solution. We lose our main striker for 10-15 games we lose a lot. I know your arguments against this but a striker is in the top 3 signings we need IMO.  Silly otherwise.

Traore has played upfront with success. 

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

They've had a backup striker to Kane every season though. And why should we follow the Spurs model? Not exactly worked out great for them, has it? Watkins has been brilliant but he needs someone to push him that little bit further too. Competition is always, always healthy.

Can you address Traore as backup. Smith said when we signed him that was an added bonus. I'd rate Traore higher than some of the junk backup Spurs has signed

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Can you address Traore as backup. Smith said when we signed him that was an added bonus. I'd rate Traore higher than some of the junk backup Spurs has signed

I like Traore but he wouldn't cut it as a PL striker. I'd use El Ghazi up front before him.

I don't think Traore would be good playing up front in the PL. He doesn't do the harrying that Watkins does, but I'm not sure he's be that great with his back to goal either. His goals have mostly been wondergoals from the edge of the area, and he tends to be worst at shooting when he is in close proximity to the net; I don't think he's a 'natural finisher'.

I don't think that should be our backup plan, and fortunately I don't think it will be. I think it's very unlikely we don't try to put our backup striker situation to bed this summer IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

I like Traore but he wouldn't cut it as a PL striker. I'd use El Ghazi up front before him.

Scored 6 goals in limited minutes 1st season at Chelsea. Lot of goals or assists for us this season are runs or in the area you expect from striker. AEG in front of him lol ridiculous