Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

What if Watkins breaks his leg in the first game?

As things stand we will likely play our £20m+ Brazilian striker. Or if Smith doesn’t think that’s a good option, he’ll need to sell him and then I agree we will need someone else.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

As things stand we will likely play our £20m+ Brazilian striker. Or if Smith doesn’t think that’s a good option, he’ll need to sell him and then I agree we will need someone else.

He's played about 20 minutes in 18 months though. I don't think we can be relying on him as our 2nd choice striker. I'd like to think we have a striker lined up this summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

What if Watkins breaks his leg in the first game?

Zero injuries in his playing career.

We won't sign a 40 mill striker because Ollie might break his leg, especially considering it's highly unlikely knowing his injury record.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Zero injuries in his playing career.

We won't sign a 40 mill striker because Ollie might break his leg, especially considering it's highly unlikely knowing his injury record.

Doesn't matter how good your injury record is if you break a leg or do your ACL. Anything can happen in football. I'd be surprised if we don't have ideas of strikers to go for.

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Doesn't matter how good your injury record is if you break a leg or do your ACL. Anything can happen in football. I'd be surprised if we don't have ideas of strikers to go for.

I'll say it again.

We won't go out and break the bank  because Ollie might get an highly unlikely leg breaking injury.

We have Wesley and Keinan as options not to forget an up and coming Louie Barry in our ranks.

I would say it's more likely we give Elmo a 5 year contract than us signing Tammy Abraham.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Wesley had a pretty solid injury history until Ben Mee happened. 

• Like 1

Our weakness is midfield/forwards, and depth of squad. Expect 3 first teamers and 3 ones for the future. The big money goes another AM and wide forward plus another forward, Nakamba may have given them a decision to make now but we do need a ball carrying big man in the middle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll say it again.

We won't go out and break the bank  because Ollie might get an highly unlikely leg breaking injury.

We have Wesley and Keinan as options not to forget an up and coming Louie Barry in our ranks.

I would say it's more likely we give Elmo a 5 year contract than us signing Tammy Abraham.

Where did I mention Abraham? I agree we won't be signing him.

What I'm saying is we can't go into next season with only Watkins. We should be looking for someone to compete with him.

Davis is good enough to be playing every week somewhere so we should loan him out. And I sadly fear we won't be seeing much of Wesley again. We can do with one more striker. Doesn't have to be a mega signing.

• Like 3

We're going to sign a striker imo. I think Wes might well go out on loan to get some first team minutes into him and therefore a signing in that area pitch will be seen as a necessary part of the squad building phase that this summer will be for us. 

I think people get too caught up in there being more pressing priorities as if that means we can't address each of them regardless. You just have to look at the reactions to the starting eleven and bench being posted in pre-match threads to have our lack of attacking depth made apparent and I don't think this is lost on Dean and co. either.

I trust that any position that is added to in the window will be done for goof reason, be it striker or elsewhere. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll say it again.

Today is the day I never saw coming.

I am 100% agreeing with more than one of @villalad21 posts :D 

Personally would be dissappointed if we prioritize a striker over in particular DM, AM and LB.

My dream is still Buendia and Berge, then whatever on LB that can push Targett.

6 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Wesley had a pretty solid injury history until Ben Mee happened. 

I liked Wesley before his injury and feel really bad for him but it's going to be so hard to get back to a top level for him. Apparently he nearly lost his leg, his injury was that bad. Maybe next season might be best if he was loaned out to an inferior league like Netherlands or Belgium to get him playing again.

• Like 1

Just now, MentalM said:

Personally would be dissappointed if we prioritize a striker over in particular DM, AM and LB.

I am a big believer in Barry.

I'd rather see us giving him gametime and developing him rather than break the bank on some unfamiliar new striker.

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Where did I mention Abraham? I agree we won't be signing him.

What I'm saying is we can't go into next season with only Watkins. We should be looking for someone to compete with him.

Davis is good enough to be playing every week somewhere so we should loan him out. And I sadly fear we won't be seeing much of Wesley again. We can do with one more striker. Doesn't have to be a mega signing.

Any decent striker we approach would be well aware of Ollie being our main man.

It's much harder signing good players when you can't promise them regular game time. Much harder.

Spurs struggled with this for years having Kane.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Zero chance Norwich sell Buendia now. Pereira maybe from the Baggies?

Maybe then, signing a young, exciting and effective striker (maybe one who is comfortable and effective out wide too) for a more modest fee would be more sensible than massively splashing out on a position that isn’t really a major priority for us, when we have a truly exceptional & reliable first choice CF as is… or even/alternatively get an experienced pro in, who isn’t demanding to play all the time, that could help out occasionally and pass on his knowledge & expertise?

And move Davis on, because he is not and will never be a reliable goalscorer. He’s not good enough for where we want to be…

Barry is a vastly more exciting & promising prospect.

I’d rather we be patient with Wesley than Davis but wouldn’t even be averse to also offloading him for a reasonable fee (Lazio have a long-standing interest, I’d rather we stuck by him and see how he does though), then we could get a costly 2nd choice or rotation option in. We don’t  have unlimited squad capacity either… bringing better players in inevitably means others will have to be offloaded. 

Basically, I would rather we didn’t spend 40m+ on a CF because I want us to spend the bulk of our budget on addressing our lack of creativity, over reliance on Jack and to help us gain more dominance and strength in midfield & also improve our ball retention and buildup play…

We also need that backup/competitive LB…

There’s no point buying expensive strikers if we struggle to create chances for them…

It’s just that we don’t have unlimited funds and it’s impossible to have the perfect window… we need to address the highest priorities first… we have future windows in which we can address other areas…

I’m not against bettering our team/squad in any position but we have to be sensible and wise about our business… and not leave ourselves short in the most important areas/positions…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Zero chance Norwich sell Buendia now. Pereira maybe from the Baggies?

Who knows about Buendia. Since the rumours are so hot about him leaving them I can still dream :D 

Not a fan of Pereira myself (nor am I of Lookman). Personally would prefer us to look abroad if those are options. 

Wes out on loan is a good shout too, if a deal can be done and he is agreeable…

Would be great for him to return to us in good shape and form…

I just wonder whether Dean has more faith in him, as he has given him some minutes at the end of a game or two and that was somewhat of a surprise… maybe after a good preseason he will be in good shape…

Some achievement by Wes to return to that match day squad this season 👏  Was an absolutely awful injury.

It’s criminal that Mee was completely let off for that abomination of & poor excuse for a tackle… sickening.

• Like 2