Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

I don’t miss Jack half as much as I thought I would. Even if we’re languishing in 14th/15th this season, I kinda feel like the time was right for us as a club to move on from Grealish - as shocking as that sounds. We were as close to a one man team this league has ever seen and we needed to move away from our over reliance on him and create a more balanced attacking unit. Whether or not we’ve managed to do that, I don’t know, but in time we will. 

Again, as daft as it sounds, it almost feels as though a weight has been lifted off the shoulders of the club. It certainly feels that way to me. Everything we did was about Jack. We were about to offer him a salary probably 3x higher than 80% of the other players. It would have just fed into the narrative and the design that the club was all about Jack and the other players were playing second fiddle to his brilliance. 

He’s just another player now at another club. I don’t particularly wish him that well because of the way he manufactured a route out of the club where the clubs hands were tied. A proper fan, loyal to the club that developed you as a player since the age of 8 would never have done that. The same club that has spent countless thousands of pounds on your development both directly and indirectly. The same club that made you a millionaire and a household name. It was a really shady move in my opinion. 

I look forward to each match now without the Jack fanfare. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s just another player now at another club. I don’t particularly wish him that well because of the way he manufactured a route out of the club where the clubs hands were tied. A proper fan, loyal to the club that developed you as a player since the age of 8 would never have done that

I disagree with that. Jack gave his all to Villa during his time here. He is a special player and he deserves to play at the highest level. He is 25 years old so probably only got about 6 years left at the top level. He wasn't going to win the silverware he craves or play at the level he craves by staying at Villa. He left and we got 100m for him. We should all be happy and I wish him a very successful career and hope he realises his dreams and he deserves the respect and gratitude of the fans when he returns to Villa Park with City

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Probably because Jack was injured for 3 months and sitting on his arse playing PlayStation. There is a reason Pep paid 100m for Jack rather than 25m for Lingard. 

Good chatting, enjoy the weekend

The only person that would actually compare them in ability is Southgate 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I disagree with that. Jack gave his all to Villa during his time here. He is a special player and he deserves to play at the highest level. He is 25 years old so probably only got about 6 years left at the top level. He wasn't going to win the silverware he craves or play at the level he craves by staying at Villa. He left and we got 100m for him. We should all be happy and I wish him a very successful career and hope he realises his dreams and he deserves the respect and gratitude of the fans when he returns to Villa Park with City

It be great if £100 million was actually worth a lot but it’s not in this transfer market, it gets you 2 decent players… it’s crap really. 

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t miss Jack half as much as I thought I would. Even if we’re languishing in 14th/15th this season, I kinda feel like the time was right for us as a club to move on from Grealish - as shocking as that sounds. We were as close to a one man team this league has ever seen and we needed to move away from our over reliance on him and create a more balanced attacking unit. Whether or not we’ve managed to do that, I don’t know, but in time we will. 

Again, as daft as it sounds, it almost feels as though a weight has been lifted off the shoulders of the club. It certainly feels that way to me. Everything we did was about Jack. We were about to offer him a salary probably 3x higher than 80% of the other players. It would have just fed into the narrative and the design that the club was all about Jack and the other players were playing second fiddle to his brilliance. 

He’s just another player now at another club. I don’t particularly wish him that well because of the way he manufactured a route out of the club where the clubs hands were tied. A proper fan, loyal to the club that developed you as a player since the age of 8 would never have done that. The same club that has spent countless thousands of pounds on your development both directly and indirectly. The same club that made you a millionaire and a household name. It was a really shady move in my opinion. 

I look forward to each match now without the Jack fanfare. 

Yep, **** him

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I still feel a bit glum about it but can absolutely see the benefits of the pressure of trying to keep hold of him being lifted. It was always about him in a race against time for European football and there was never a guarantee it would have been good enough. 
When we win now, it’s as a team. There will be no guilt of holding someone back if we lose or underperform over a season. Time to reclaim our identity. 

Just wish we’d done a bit more this window and were having a bit more luck with injuries. 

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I still feel a bit glum about it but can absolutely see the benefits of the pressure of trying to keep hold of him being lifted. It was always about him in a race against time for European football and there was never a guarantee it would have been good enough. 
When we win now, it’s as a team. There will be no guilt of holding someone back if we lose or underperform over a season. Time to reclaim our identity. 

Just wish we’d done a bit more this window and were having a bit more luck with injuries. 

I think the 2nd goal vs Newcastle, the celebrations for me show the players think the same. A united celebration

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Yeah, but he still didn't play Tammy when Lukaku was at Juve for the 2nd half of last season

Doesn’t negate that Tammy could do it at this level by his goals per minute record over the last two seasons.  

24 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Honestly couldn't give a shit bout Jack now, hes done the dirty and he never be a legend here  because it,

Anyone who is a legend played the prime years here

Jack didn't do this and will always be remembered that way

He his eyes we are not good enough for him 

No true villan would make that decision especially when you can see the progress under the new owners

So he can go win some plastic money trophys for city but I think he'll regret it in the end,

He could have been the greatest player to ever play for this club but he chose more money and fame

He a sell out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Don't get people jerking off over Abraham ..... has consistently failed to prove himself at the top level. We need and deserve better !

The point wasn’t around signing him, it was around their record at similar ages.

PS don’t even know what to say in regards to failing at the top level, as the evidence doesn’t support such an opinion, just bias.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

But Ings was bought to deliver goals in the next 2 to 3 seasons, he is not one for the future and is not a player to develop over time. So the comparison should be a 29 year old Ings versus a 23 year old Tammy. 

Thanks scoop. I was comparing their records at similar ages, nothing more.

3 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

So he can go win some plastic money trophys for city but I think he'll regret it in the end,

I think all the Championship and many teams in the PL will accuse Aston Villa of doing the same as Man City with regard to buying success. And as for Jack regretting leaving us. Not a chance imo. 

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Thanks scoop. I was comparing their records at similar ages, nothing more.

It was in a discussion saying that Tammy would have been a better buy than Ings. I was just highlighting that Ings is currently a better goal scoring option to Tammy for Villa, nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It was in a discussion saying that Tammy would have been a better buy than Ings. I was just highlighting that Ings is currently a better goal scoring option to Tammy for Villa, nothing more.

And I was commenting that at the same ages Tammys statistics were better.

Too many people use statistics to support their arguments, then conveniently forget them when it doesn’t support their narrative. One player is in his prime, another is 2-3 years away from his prime, yet the narrative is he can’t possibly improve because their too blinded by their narrative.

5 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Too many people use statistics to support their arguments, then conveniently forget them when it doesn’t support their narrative. One player is in his prime, another is 2-3 years away from his prime, yet the narrative is he can’t possibly improve because their too blinded by their narrative.

I never said Tammy can't improve. I was just saying Ings is currently a better striker. When people like certain players the narrative tends to become very defensive when they are the topic of conversation