Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If it isn't then we are looking at a return to the Championship and I expect Smith would be replaced

My main point is....do those that say "its a one off "go back and revisit their appraisal, if we put in a similar show on Saturday.....because If we beat Newcastle and put in a good performance, I will be the first to revisit my appraisal and concede it was a one off.

Edited by TRO

On 07/08/2021 at 18:53, doaflip said:

I'll be surprised if we sign anyone else. I think we've spent the money we got in from transfers and we will start the season with what we've got and go from there. 

Pretty happy with where we are compared to last season in terms of quality in the squad. I don't think we need further depth in the center of the park immediately. 

Still think the same as I did 10 days ago. We've signed Axel on loan since then but I can't see us pushing for anyone else to join us permanently.

Just now, Beastmix said:

Let's say Southampton don't play ball and sell us JWP (which I wouldn't if I were them). Who would be your next three realistic options, in order of preference?

Kamara, Kamada, Kamala

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

I want a new midfielder as much as anyone else but looking at the squad as it stands I just can’t see it.

the only caliber of midfielder that significantly improves us is going to cost between £30 million - £50 million and at that price would be a guaranteed starter you’d imagine.

By that logic two of Doug SJM and Sanson won’t be in the team when you factor in the other signings (think ings ollie Leon and emi2 are likely untouchable) and that’s before mentioning nakamba who despite his limitations has improved a lot.

I only see another midfielder coming in if Doug or SJM are sold, the club won’t sell SJM as losing him and jack in the same window really compromises our stability I feel and only a few months ago many of us were shitting ourselves at potentially losing Doug. Can’t see anyone offering our money back on sanson as it stands and would anybody pay £10million+ for Marv so we make a profit? Unlikely I think

carney also needs minutes

the issue isn’t the ings signing for me, he can play with or as an alternative to Ollie which we all said we needed prior to the window, the issue I believe is we spent a largeish amount on sanson who we’ve seen nothing of, maybe a combination of him with SJM or Doug is better than we think when all are fit.

I hope I’m wrong but can’t see another mid unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I cant see this working well, Mcginn cant play that wide and two up top however i can see bailey working wonders as a CF and young will play but targett will play more

It’s just the way the template is laid out and the closest thing to a 4-3-3 - which is what I’d have us play. The more defensive option sees Ings off, Buendia to RF, Bailey to LF and either Sanson or Chuk into midfield with McGinn and Luiz.

If we end up with Doucoure for example, I could see him playing in a 2 with Luiz behind a 3 of Bailey, Ings and Buendia with Watkins up top, but to make that work we need a better starting DM, whoever that is. 

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

but how many midfielders and wingers do we sign before we think we have it right.....we have acquired too many the same.

We had to sign another striker, Ollie simply can't complete a full season and cups on his own....its just madness to think he can.

Where the problem lies is.....we have too many midfielders with similar attributes and little contrast to make up the balance.....so we change them and don't really change the play enough.... we seem to think we can have 2 players for one position, each player has to pull/punch his weight.

as an example....its like having a cricket team swamped with fast bowlers and no spinners or vice versa.

I agree with you, we have many midfielders, but I think Hourihane is on his way out and Nakamba should be replaced with someone with similar qualities but is a better passer. We shouldn't just add more and more midfielders, but replace a couple of the ones we have.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

but how many midfielders and wingers do we sign before we think we have it right.....we have acquired too many the same.

We had to sign another striker, Ollie simply can't complete a full season and cups on his own....its just madness to think he can.

Where the problem lies is.....we have too many midfielders with similar attributes and little contrast to make up the balance.....so we change them and don't really change the play enough.... we seem to think we can have 2 players for one position, each player has to pull/punch his weight.

as an example....its like having a cricket team swamped with fast bowlers and no spinners or vice versa.

Lets just hope we are not like England with Grealish as Root

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Awol said:

With what we have available right now I think this is our best option (but I’d be happy to put Sanson or Chuk into Ings’ spot too):

4513BDB3-EAA1-46D5-94F1-D0C7749E2553.jpegI don’t agree with the formation but if anything surely Bailey would be LM, Ings up top and McGinn in the AM. We’re going to have to work around having too many attacking options, people will get left out and I don’t think we should be working around fitting everyone in at the risk of being weak through the middle and costing us goals. Luiz as a lone DM frightens me a bit as well if I’m honest 

4 hours ago, HKP90 said:

You are right in that we need a baller. Someone who can pick a pass and initiate attacks, but I do feel we need a bit more of an aerial presence in midfield. Particularly when we play McGinn. An all round ball winner.

The days of a Jedinak or Whelan have passed us by, BUT...they did have attributes that we need, but  an upgraded version, and a player who can win the ball and start attacks like a poor mans Pogba.

Pogba is an elite version, but whats stopping us seeking a slightly lower grade, but similar until we are able to attract the very best....Nakamba is a sweet lad, but our aspirations require better.

If we fail to sign one or don't feel we should, I predict a very up and own season of uncertainty and in such circumstances would take last seasons finish 11th right now.

Edited by TRO

44 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I agree with you, we have many midfielders, but I think Hourihane is on his way out and Nakamba should be replaced with someone with similar qualities but is a better passer. We shouldn't just add more and more midfielders, but replace a couple of the ones we have.

I would not be the least surprised if Carney, Jacob and Aaron, come through quicker than we think.....but they are similar, to what we already have in terms of attacking Nous.

Tim Iroegbunam is the only one, I know who represents a midfielder that is close to having defensive attributes and I don't know how far away he is, from Feasible.

We need to start moving some on....but I don't know how difficult that is, as it seems only us and a few others have any money.....maybe we are waiting for a few calls, from clubs with financial constraints, who are trying to play hard ball.

I guess selling is not as easy for us right now as buying.

However, as frustrated as I am to get a DM in or a CM who can defend.....I trust Purslow to act correctly....maybe he has a plan, I am not privvy to.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Didn’t we have a bid reported for JWP after Dean Smith said he was content with the squad?

Maybe Dean had a plan to run them up and down the Lickey Hills, this week....so feels, he knows the solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Look at other teams record signings

Watford 30 million on sarr

Everton 40 million on sigurdsenn

Wolves 37 million on silva

Newcastle 40 million on jollington

Leeds 30 million on Rodrigo 

West hammer haller 45 million and Anderson 40 million 

If these teams can and have spent large sums of money on players who have gone to them with no European football then it shouldn't be that hard as there are 6 teams in England who qualified and uses they also want the player, there aren't many other options if they want great wages and to be in the best league to raise their profile.

2 players that especially if both signed, would transform us to a far better team, neither are glamorous and it would be 90 million.

Bissouma and JWP

We have the money and can spend it.

We have 2 or 3 players that should be sold just to pull back the spending although probs only about 15 to 20 million back.

Buy them now and we should be fixed midfield wise for at least 3 years in the middle.

Don't forget Villa - 33m on Buendia. Not a single 50m player listed there. 

I just find it weird that people are casually suggesting breaking the transfer record of every team not in the top 6, including ourselves. We've been a PL team for 2 years. It's not as easy as "buy 50m DM and we're sorted". This isn't football manager.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Didn’t we have a bid reported for JWP after Dean Smith said he was content with the squad?

(I might well be wrong)

i think only one bid has ever been confirmed

those claiming we have or will make a second bid are all click bait bulls*tters like Villa Report!

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

i think only one bid has ever been confirmed

those claiming we have or will make a second bid are all click bait bulls*tters like Villa Report!

Are you questioning the integrity of the British sporting press? 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I just find it weird that people are casually suggesting breaking the transfer record of every team not in the top 6, including ourselves. We've been a PL team for 2 years. It's not as easy as "buy 50m DM and we're sorted". This isn't football manager.

I mean, tbf we've also been spending a lot more money than most teams outside the top 6 these past 2 years. Not really that out there to expect that we'd eventually outspend these other teams in terms of transfer records as well. And if its coming eventually, why not now?

Edited by Laughable Chimp

7 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Look at other teams record signings

Watford 30 million on sarr

Everton 40 million on sigurdsenn

Wolves 37 million on silva

Newcastle 40 million on jollington

Leeds 30 million on Rodrigo 

West hammer haller 45 million and Anderson 40 million 

If these teams can and have spent large sums of money on players who have gone to them with no European football then it shouldn't be that hard as there are 6 teams in England who qualified and uses they also want the player, there aren't many other options if they want great wages and to be in the best league to raise their profile.

2 players that especially if both signed, would transform us to a far better team, neither are glamorous and it would be 90 million.

Bissouma and JWP

We have the money and can spend it.

We have 2 or 3 players that should be sold just to pull back the spending although probs only about 15 to 20 million back.

Buy them now and we should be fixed midfield wise for at least 3 years in the middle.

Good old fictional children's show footballer, Jollington

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I am with you.....and I still believe we can improve without spending big bucks....I am all for keeping our powder dry.

The players that cost the big bucks are in, in my view.....I think we can find a gem to add defensive nous to our ranks, but it requires Scouting Nous and bit of lady Luck.....I don't think Kante, Ndidi,Bissouma was record breaking transfers, neither was Romeu or Holjberg.

Building a football team requires balance above all else and that might require the odd big transfer.....We are not Man Utd and can afford to make expensive mistakes, but give Utd Credit they can spot Balance as a pre requisite in their team...Chelsea too.

• Like 1