Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Preece doesn't have any inside information, he just guesses and speculates based on news emmenating from other sources, he's more than likely saying that we're done in the transfer market based off Purslow and Smith's comments and the fact we aren't being linked with players in the press at the moment, but he won't have any inside knowledge about our transfer plans, I doubt he's even been fed a line by the club, it's probably just guesswork on his part but worded in such a way as to make it seem like he knows something, which isn't a criticism as such, as that's pretty much what most football journalists do.

Also the 'unless a shock deal arises' line kind of means he can't be wrong either way, because if you've said that we're not going to sign anyone else, then any signing we make after that can be called a 'shock deal' by virtue of the fact that you've said another deal won't happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Given the example you use there, buy JWP = CL here we come, don’t buy him = relegation scrap. Do you not think that’s a bit extreme?

Also what if the player we buy flops? What if he wants massive wages? There are lots of factors that go into these deals.

Yes also…

no more signings = 11th place.

Bringing in JWP for £40m = 10th place.

or something like that could happen

• Like 1

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Given the example you use there, buy JWP = CL here we come, don’t buy him = relegation scrap. Do you not think that’s a bit extreme?

Also what if the player we buy flops? What if he wants massive wages? There are lots of factors that go into these deals.

Agreed.

I wasn't saying buy JWP and we get CL. It was the flipside of saying we think he is only worth  £xxxx and not a penny more.

Common consensus at the time of purchase was that we overpaid for Watkins and Mings - but events since then have proved it was worth paying a little more than we would have liked.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed.

I wasn't saying buy JWP and we get CL. It was the flipside of saying we think he is only worth  £xxxx and not a penny more.

Common consensus at the time of purchase was that we overpaid for Watkins and Mings - but events since then have proved it was worth paying a little more than we would have liked.  

Common consensus? What does that matter? We paid what we did as the club thought it was a reasonable valuation, so we did the deal. What if clubs want more than we value the player at?

I wouldn't buy in to the fact it's being reported we aren't in for any more signings, and that's not based on the reliability of the source of that etc, or Deans comments, but purely because it's been confirmed that we have had bids rejected for Ward Prowse and the goalkeeper at Oxford. I know plans change all the time, but the fact is we lodged official bids for a goalie and a central midfielder. If part of our long term strategy for this window was to sign two players in those positions, I don't believe we'd suddenly not bother if the bids for certain targets were rejected. It just doesn't make sense, especially with the midfielder as it's not like an unknown emerged across pre season to make that spot their own. For that alone, it doesn't make any sense for Villa to actually be finished for the summer.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Common consensus? What does that matter? We paid what we did as the club thought it was a reasonable valuation, so we did the deal. What if clubs want more than we value the player at?

Well that was sort of what I meant.

If a selling club values a player at £35m - but the buying club thinks he is only worth £30m.

Do you pay the extra £5m or walk away.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well that was sort of what I meant.

If a selling club values a player at £35m - but the buying club thinks he is only worth £30m.

Do you pay the extra £5m or walk away.

You would like to think that if a difference in valuation was £5m that a compromise is possible and that a deal could be done. 

Just my opinion but I don’t think we would just walk away from a deal like the example you’ve given there, but once you start going over £10m+ in difference between the two clubs valuations of a player then it’s difficult.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry whose Value halves at the end of the window ? 

I though your initial point was that we needed to shift players out - before we could bring new ones in. Personally I don't see us raising much from player sales - or saving much on wages by loaning players out. So I don't see a outbound loan for CH for example holding up an incoming player.

Potential exits…. Nakamba, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Wesley.  If we don’t give the impression we are happy with our squad, or we go out and buy replacements, it’s clear they are surplus to requirements and so offers will be low as we’ll want them off the wage bill, in that scenario, as we approach the window shutting and the options to offload them get smaller and smaller, their price falls.

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They are at least 3 years off their prime.

Don't disagree if we agree that circa 27 is generally regarded as prime football age, I accept as much with the suggestion "entering" which may be 1 or two years away, I guess I was differentiating from recent Luiz, Cash, Konsa buys, and that Bailey/Buendia are generally regarded as already decent players with a higher ceiling - but I am happy with that, it makes a nice change from the type of signings we hd been used to.

But it differs player to player - when was Rooney or Sterling's 'Prime' years? 

33 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

If clubs want more than we’re willing to pay for players then aren’t we right to walk away? It’s easy to just say “pay what they want” but I’m sure we have our valuation of any player we want to buy, and if it’s poles apart from the selling club then it’s going to be very difficult to do a deal.

Agree. It's takes two to tango. Actually it is more like 10. The player, buying and selling club, agent/s, players wife, kids, Dad, Uncle...... 

Just look at Leon Bailey. Bailey could have wanted this Villa move til he was blue in the face but if his stepfather/agent didn't like us for whatever reason then it wouldn't have happened. 

I guarantee you we are still open to make a deal but what's likely happened is that we have been either priced out (JWP/ESR) or we can't get all the additional parties to agree on the transfer. 

I look at it this way. If no other deals are to happen then JPB, Jacob Ramsey and Carney are all going to see significant minutes this season.  This will only help massively with their growth and we can use it as a advertisment for any youth player in the country. 

You can goto Chelsea/Man City and get loaned out multiple times and never see PL action or come to Villa and actually be given a real oppurtunity to test yourself as a PL footballer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Potential exits…. Nakamba, Guilbert, El Ghazi, Wesley.  If we don’t give the impression we are happy with our squad, or we go out and buy replacements, it’s clear they are surplus to requirements and so offers will be low as we’ll want them off the wage bill, in that scenario, as we approach the window shutting and the options to offload them get smaller and smaller, their price falls.

Really ?

Out of the players listed only AEG would appear to be in within a chance of leaving for any sort of fee. A fee of £15m has been touted - I don't see us accepting  £7.5m  because the transfer window is about to shut. 

Id think its obvious to the whole world that Wesley is surplus to requirements - I don't see that affecting his value one way or the other.

Edited by hippo

I think we will sign another three or four players, a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, and a young left back that will be brought in for the academy initially. The attacking midfielder we might possibly leave until January.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we will sign another three or four players, a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder, an attacking midfielder, and a young left back that will be brought in for the academy initially. The attacking midfielder we might possibly leave until January.

I think we will sign none of these. 

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry guys you're right, we should definitely ignore the CEO hinting at no more major incomings, the manager saying there would be no more incomings and the press telling us that we are done signing footballers. Because feelings. 

Its all a game of poker ! don't know you know ?

• Haha 1