Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

We are probably done in terms of must haves. But many clubs are short of cash after Covid. Some opportunities might still appear, and it's good to know we have the money available. Would not be surprised at all if some top European clubs offer us some quality players at a discount late in the window. And I think we're still talking to a lot of clubs, but not necessarily trying to push deals through. Just keeping an eye on things.

If a £50m player became available today, there are very few clubs in the world that can afford it. Barcelona couldn't afford to keep Messi, Real Madrid is saving their money to buy Mbappe. German clubs doesn't spend that amount of money on a regular basis. PSG are probably done with major transfers this summer. Italian clubs...don't think so. The Manchester clubs have both spent big, so has Chelsea. Not that many left then.

Reading that prognosis seems to present more reasons why we won't buying any more players than reasons for ? 

Dean never comments on transfers - just look at the response when asked about JWP. 

The Purslow comments were a direct response to the sale of Grealish and replacing him, nothing more. 

Transfers came after and will again. Players will leave. No club closes shop this early, especially if injuries occur. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I still think we’ll sign someone. But only if we can get the players we want on our terms. 

I've been thinking this too.

Most times if we can't get our man and buy an alternative, maybe this time we really are holding out for our one and only target.

• Like 1

Ive decided this would be the strongest side going forward and best formation give or take

Mcginn/Sanson

Buendia/Chukwuemeka 

Bidace/Traore Alt Wing options 

Young Covering Wing backs but used in heavy rotation playing quite frequent

9E64AFD4-73F7-43FD-B97B-9E48EF049B95.jpeg

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ive decided this would be the strongest side going forward and best formation give or take

Mcginn/Sanson

Buendia/Chukwuemeka 

Bidace/Traore Alt Wing options 

Young Covering Wing backs but used in heavy rotation playing quite frequent

9E64AFD4-73F7-43FD-B97B-9E48EF049B95.jpeg

With what we have available right now I think this is our best option (but I’d be happy to put Sanson or Chuk into Ings’ spot too):

4513BDB3-EAA1-46D5-94F1-D0C7749E2553.jpeg

Perhaps the pandemic has hit also us more than we think. Perhaps Buendia was our major signing, a replacement for Barkley, and then a couple of loans. Then came the £100M as a bonus, we spent it, and the wages going to Baily and Ings could even up the outlay for Buendia we had already committed to. Look at other clubs around us like West Ham and Everton, they haven't spent much.

Obviously just speculating. Given what the pandemic has done to economies and other clubs, I would be quite happy with our business and keeping our economy intact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

You are right in that we need a baller. Someone who can pick a pass and initiate attacks, but I do feel we need a bit more of an aerial presence in midfield. Particularly when we play McGinn. An all round ball winner.

I agree....

Mings and Konsa are the only ones we have in the team and they are defenders....Axel and Hause can come in for certain games of course and they have aerial presence, but there again, defenders

Edited by TRO

48 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When asked in his press conference last Thursday whether there would be more incomings he literally said no.

When did he say 'No' to any more transfers?

The only actual quote from Dean in relation to new transfers I can find is

image.png.63accf77107f7f4f580648c23a163b3c.png

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/The-Presser-Smith-on-Watford-opener/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

If we are done with our transfers I thnik I would have preferred a top class midfielder instead of Ings.

Yep certainly would be my choice also , we still need that player

• Like 1

Just now, Keener window-cleaner said:

If we are done with our transfers I thnik I would have preferred a top class midfielder instead of Ings.

Yup, me too. I think Ings will be really useful for us so no complaints there but IF it was him or another top midfielder I rather have the midfielder.

2 weeks left of the window thou so we'll see.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

With what we have available right now I think this is our best option (but I’d be happy to put Sanson or Chuk into Ings’ spot too):

I cant see this working well, Mcginn cant play that wide and two up top however i can see bailey working wonders as a CF and young will play but targett will play more

36 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I think the point was more that if we start regressing then this will be more difficult which to some extent I agree with. I don't think we will regress though (hopefully) and that we have a stronger squad than last year.

Also you're completely right in that there's no point judging us after one game into the season against a fired up team with home support after a disaster of a pre-season plus injuries. It's so ott.

The problem is no one has a monopoly on what's right.....if we lose against Newscastle and Brentford.....what will be the review of the Watford game as a one off?

We all have opinions, and no one is right, hindsight is an exact science, granted, only time will explain a bit more.....to call the first game a one off, could well be right and I sincerely hope it is....but what if it isn't, will some of us still be called doomsdayers or forecasters.

I will be there on Saturday and I obviously want the folk who predict the Watford game to be a one off, right....I want them to be right.

I have no doubt to morph from having Jack will take a bit of time for the players to gel.....but we still need some of the basics to be carried out, the fine tuning, will come later.

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

I don't think Young should be replacing Targett. He is too old for a starting role. Yes, Tragett had a poor game against Watford but he wasn't match fit and it showed. He was very good last season and I expect his form will return as his fitness and match readiness improves

Let's say Southampton don't play ball and sell us JWP (which I wouldn't if I were them). Who would be your next three realistic alternatives at the position, in order of preference?

Edited by Beastmix

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

This team gets torn to shreds defensively. Far far too attacking. L

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

but how many midfielders and wingers do we sign before we think we have it right.....we have acquired too many the same.

We had to sign another striker, Ollie simply can't complete a full season and cups on his own....its just madness to think he can.

Where the problem lies is.....we have too many midfielders with similar attributes and little contrast to make up the balance.....so we change them and don't really change the play enough.... we seem to think we can have 2 players for one position, each player has to pull/punch his weight.

as an example....its like having a cricket team swamped with fast bowlers and no spinners or vice versa.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1