Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

24 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, tbf we've also been spending a lot more money than most teams outside the top 6 these past 2 years. Not really that out there to expect that we'd eventually outspend these other teams in terms of transfer records as well. And if its coming eventually, why not now?

I mean we can do it, I'm not disputing that. I'm just bewildered by the people who are making it out like we have to or need to do that. We really don't. 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

When did he say 'No' to any more transfers?

The only actual quote from Dean in relation to new transfers I can find is

image.png.63accf77107f7f4f580648c23a163b3c.png

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/august/The-Presser-Smith-on-Watford-opener/

For some reason they've cut the word "no" from the start of that sentence. I heard it with my own ears, I'm pretty sure the PC is still available on Villa TV if you want confirmation? 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Pep - We can’t spend £100m on one player, it is impossible. 

Of course it's possible the manager is lying. But if your CEO, gaffer and local press are all singing from the same hymn sheet, I wouldn't get yourself too excited about any potential rumours flying around because there's a high likelihood we are, actually, done. 

Bit of a fool's errand to dig this deep into a manager's words on transfers when we know how our club conducts it's business. Done or not Dean isn't going to openly state that in a post match interview. 

Not only that, but remember Dean has a whole squad of CURRENT Aston Villa players that he has to manage. How would it look if he walked straight into an interview after an opening day loss and state that his current group isn't good enough. Quick way to lose the locker room right there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

Bit of a fool's errand to dig this deep into a manager's words on transfers when we know how our club conducts it's business. Done or not Dean isn't going to openly state that in a post match interview. 

Not only that, but remember Dean has a whole squad of CURRENT Aston Villa players that he has to manage. How would it look if he walked straight into an interview after an opening day loss and state that his current group isn't good enough. Quick way to lose the locker room right there. 

It was pre-match. Whenever asked in the past he has always been fairly forthright in saying whether we are looking at adding to the squad. And whatever he has said has always turned out to be on the button. 

You can keep fooling yourselves if you want, and I hope you are right, because otherwise we have left ourselves short. Again. Every damn window. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Seriously ?

Don't think it works like that. If you get to the levels of prem footballer you believe you are good enough.

Shouting matches after a defeat are pretty routine. 

I'm sure players at most prem clubs already know if the manager had the option to bring in a better player in their position he would. 

I'm just glad the new kit is out. No doubt someone would trott that excuse out.😂

For newer members that was muted a few years back when we hadn't signed someone:-

"Well you ain't going to have a new signing holding the old kit are you" 

FFS !

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It was pre-match. Whenever asked in the past he has always been fairly forthright in saying whether we are looking at adding to the squad. And whatever he has said has always turned out to be on the button. 

You can keep fooling yourselves if you want, and I hope you are right, because otherwise we have left ourselves short. Again. Every damn window. 

I honestly don't know which way the club is leaning. I hope we get another across the line but it looks like most of our targets aren't going to come off. Dean in the past has stated that he doesn't believe in just making up the numbers so I fully believe we won't settle for some average signing because all of our top tier targets failed. 

When you look at the business around us it's clear the majority of the footballing world (Outside the ESL Clubs) is not in the spending mood. Not sure why we would be any different. 

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

For some reason they've cut the word "no" from the start of that sentence. I heard it with my own ears, I'm pretty sure the PC is still available on Villa TV if you want confirmation? 

If Dean did say 'No' and AVFC has edited the 'No' out of the transcript of the interview then I think that would suggest that we are definitely going to try to sign at least another player

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seriously ?

Don't think it works like that. If you get to the levels of prem footballer you believe you are good enough.

Shouting matches after a defeat are pretty routine. 

I'm sure players at most prem clubs already know if the manager had the option to bring in a better player in their position he would. 

Yes, Prem football is no different from any other elite sport. American football, NBA, MLB if a coach went out and said my guys stink and I need new ones the players currently at the club would absolutely tell him to take a hike.  Why give that extra 10%  for a manager that just openly told the world he doesn't believe in you.   

Shouting matches behind closed doors are a completely different manner. That's a private "discussion" within the team. That's how issues should be handled. If the coach feels the need to run to the media to berate his players then either he is a passive aggressive a**hole (see Jose Mourinho) or he has already lost the locker room.  Hopefully we never get their with Dean. 

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If Dean did say 'No' and AVFC has edited the 'No' out of the transcript of the interview then I think that would suggest that we are definitely going to try to sign at least another player

We're a football club not the Communist Party of the Soviet Union propaganda machine. But if it is helping you sleep at night, I won't push it any further.

What will be will be.

• Haha 1

Mohamed Camara from RB Salzburg is worth a look. Obviously depends on whether RB Leipzig have first dibs or not. However I believe he's the next Kante. Plays CM and DM. Wouldn't be expensive.

Obligatory: 

12 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

When you look at the business around us it's clear the majority of the footballing world (Outside the ESL Clubs) is not in the spending mood. Not sure why we would be any different. 

Which is all totally fine, but it doesn't fit the narrative that has been spun regarding our owners. So this needs adjusting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

You can watch on the Sky Sports link below.  The relevant part is:

Journo:  "Um - are you still hoping to bring some new faces in?"
Smith:  "No, I think we're quite satisfied where we're at at the moment.  We've got a really healthy squad - some good numbers in there.  There will be some outgoings as well on loan before the window closes"
Journo:  "Does that mean you've walked away from Southampton and any deal for James Ward-Prowse?"
Smith:  "I never talk about players at other clubs"

Link:  https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12380383/will-there-be-more-new-faces-at-villa

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Smith:  "No, I think we're quite satisfied where we're at at the moment.  We've got a really healthy squad - some good numbers in there.  There will be some outgoings as well on loan before the window closes"
Journo:  "Does that mean you've walked away from Southampton and any deal for James Ward-Prowse?"

Link:  https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12380383/will-there-be-more-new-faces-at-villa

It's not even a classic Dean 'yeh, no', it's just a 'no'. 

Now, there might be some opportunity that becomes available between now and the end of the window. But I'd assume all the irons we had in the fire have either signed or gone cold (JWP?).

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're a football club not the Communist Party of the Soviet Union propaganda machine. But if it is helping you sleep at night, I won't push it any further.

What will be will be.

I have no problem sleeping at night. 

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He says something before he says 'No'. Sounds like 'Ah' or 'I'. Could it be 'know' as opposed to 'No'. could he have said...I know I think we are...