Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

It will be a real shame if we don't sign a DM in this window. IMO we are only a good DM short of being a top 6 team. How I long for a Alex Cropley type in our midfield.  The old farts on here will know who I'm talking about!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

It will be a real shame if we don't sign a DM in this window. IMO we are only a good DM short of being a top 6 team. How I long for a Alex Cropley type in our midfield.  The old farts on here will know who I'm talking about!

Yep..one who could tackle and scheme....one of my favourites.

yes there are players who can do it...sid cowans could too.

Dinosaurs to some.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Yep, Sid also another great shout. I've no idea why we can't find someone similar.  I guess the art of tackling is a bit 'old school' for some, but for me it's still a vital part of any decent midfield .....anyone who can both win the ball and distribute it well is a must in my midfield!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Yep, Sid also another great shout. I've no idea why we can't find someone similar.  I guess the art of tackling is a bit 'old school' for some, but for me it's still a vital part of any decent midfield .....anyone who can both win the ball and distribute it well is a must in my midfield!

Suggestions anyone (including Villan4Life & our other VT talent scouts)? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

In terms of signings I think JWP is the only one we want. If he's not coming now, we might try again next season.

Unless someone too good to turn down Comes along then we are done.

Let's do it now. Who knows if we would be more or less likely to swing that deal in 12 months time or not?

6 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

In terms of signings I think JWP is the only one we want. If he's not coming now, we might try again next season.

Unless someone too good to turn down Comes along then we are done.

Next season is of little use to us....we need JWP (or similar) ASAP

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hippo said:

I'm just glad the new kit is out. No doubt someone would trott that excuse out.😂

For newer members that was muted a few years back when we hadn't signed someone:-

"Well you ain't going to have a new signing holding the old kit are you" 

FFS !

I reckon we’re waiting on the third kit release before unveiling 2 or 3 new players!  

:trollface:

Edited by ferguson1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I reckon we’re waiting on the away kit release before unveiling 2 or 3 new players!  

:trollface:

I don't give a toss what they are wearing, just get them in!

I think dreams of Europe are off the table this year. Mid table, 10-13 is the best we can hope for. Going to take a while for the team to gel etc. My worry is fans getting on the players back after a few weeks will have a negative impact, I think that's why we did so well last season without fans, some of our fan base are bed wetters. We should be happy to finish mid table, 3 years ago we nearly went out of existence!! 

Edited by calcifer
Drink....

47 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Yes, Prem football is no different from any other elite sport. American football, NBA, MLB if a coach went out and said my guys stink and I need new ones the players currently at the club would absolutely tell him to take a hike.  Why give that extra 10%  for a manager that just openly told the world he doesn't believe in you.   

Shouting matches behind closed doors are a completely different manner. That's a private "discussion" within the team. That's how issues should be handled. If the coach feels the need to run to the media to berate his players then either he is a passive aggressive a**hole (see Jose Mourinho) or he has already lost the locker room.  Hopefully we never get their with Dean. 

So how do we (or any other club) buy players without upsetting incumbent ones ?

To me the manager saying " I'm looking to bring two or 3 players in"  won't on its own make the players less committed.

In previous seasons Dean (and many other managers before him) have been pretty open about adding to the squad. Many managers often say "were always looking to strengthen"

The idea that Dean would say he isn't looking to bring in players so he doesn't upset the current squad is a non starter for me.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

Dinosaurs to some.

What you don't see Morgan as the new Alex Cropley then 😃????

44 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

Can still remember hearing the crack when the Albion broke his leg

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I think dreams of Europe are off the table this year. Mid table, 10-13 is the best we can hope for. Going to take a while for the team to gel etc. My worry is fans getting on the players back after a few weeks will have a negative impact, I think that's why we did so well last season without fans, some of our fan base are bed wetters. We should be happy to finish mid table, 3 years ago we nearly went out of existence!! 

Agree with the last part.

But don't think the crowds make that difference one way or the other over a season.

Liverpool for example are convinced they did so poorly because of the lack of fans. Whilst those clubs who did better than expected are putting it down to fans not being on there backs.

I think we’re playing the long game with JWP and will review him next summer depending on where Southampton finish to see if we can re-negotiate and drive the price down. They are going to struggle this season and be amongst the bottom 5 you’d expect. 

Docoure or a similar type of player is who we will sign this window. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

What you don't see Morgan as the new Alex Cropley then 😃????

Would love it to be so but haven't seen enough of him to judge yet. I certainly won't write him off after a few games like some on here

• Like 1

I imagine we’re looking to offload a few players such as Wesley, Hourihane and Guilbert before bringing in any additional first teamers.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see us being in at least one more significant signing before the window ends. 

• Like 2