Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

What's our net transfer spend for this window?

I make it about -£9m.

Buendia - £38m, Bailey £30m, Ings, £25m, Tuanzebe £5m = £98m

Grealish - £100m, Engels £2m, Samatta £5m = £107m

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I make it about -£9m.

Grealish - £100m, Engels £2m, Samatta £5m = £107m

I know Grealish's wages were fairly large, but I would imagine the overall cost of additional wages for the new signings probably bumps up our net spend considerably.

But you would still think we would have more funds for signings even if we want to downplay that so we don't get screwed on transfer fees.

Edited by VillanousOne

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I think Buendia was 33m and rising to 38m with addons. If we have to pay the full 38m then I think we will all be happy as he and Villa will have it their targets

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Ashley Preece was shocked about Ings as everyone else. He really doesn’t know a lot when it comes to the inner workings. 

Yep. Preece will just be reporting the message from the club. 

He's got no inside info.

19 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Because their value halves as we approach the end of the window and their replacements are already here.

Sorry whose Value halves at the end of the window ? 

I though your initial point was that we needed to shift players out - before we could bring new ones in. Personally I don't see us raising much from player sales - or saving much on wages by loaning players out. So I don't see a outbound loan for CH for example holding up an incoming player.

To put in context our transfer spending since NSWE took over is roughly about - £210m since 2018. Or £345m out and £135m in going by Transfermarkt's guesstimations. It's not like the club is making any money either, and even less due to Covid. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

No idea mate, just offering a possibility. Another could be that our targets are lined-up but their clubs need to bring in replacements before we can conclude the deals.

If us goons can see we're lacking in the middle of the park (albeit we've not yet seen what balance having Luiz and Sanson available could bring), then you can bet it's not gone unnoticed by the coaches and Lange. There's no possible reason why Dean wouldn't want to make his job easier, and I don't believe the owners would put so much money in just to turn off the taps now.

I don't buy into the press conference talk of us being happy with the squad. Whilst other teams will know that were in the market when we make enquiries, we have to give them the illusion that we're not desperate. If he said we're light in the midfield area, other teams know that we've got 14 days to do a deal or we're ****. If we're "happy" then we'll do a deal if it makes sense, and not because we have to.

We don't know do we. 

Historically lots happens in the last few days of the window. Maybe everyone is hanging out for the best deal players/clubs/agents

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I think it’s a catch 22, because the clubs policy is to buy young players, improve them, so they have a higher resale value. The issue is we aren’t buying the finished article, Sanson excluded, so there will always be a level of frustration with young developing players.

While I agree we need a dominant CDM, the question is do we buy a young player who can develop with some performance risk, or the ready made article, but will be expensive and maybe hard to attract because we can’t offer European football?

We did invest in Sanson and got him for half what he would normally cost, so slightly disagree that we haven’t invested in the midfield as believe he will come good for the club when fit.

Sometimes believe the bigger picture is lost for short term gain.

I think we bought young because 'young with potential' was affordable given the number of players we needed, not sure thats the case now as Buendia and Bailey are entering their prime, and Ings is clearly a senior player, also last season we were quite happy to buy Barkley at the end of the loan if it worked out.

We can certainly afford say Anguissa instead of Doucoure if we want to, but I think with Jack leaving there is perhaps less urgency of immediacy and a year of steady progress with the team developing together would suit us, we can guild the lily next summer with our war chest full. I think above all else we need another 2-3 high quality squad players capable of starting that we can rotate.

If we get into Europe by some slim chance we are going to be in two full-on competitions, we need a large and settled squad otherwise its a waste of time and we are likely to wilt under the demands on all fronts. This is why I hope we buy another 2 or three and why I am also convinced despite suggestions to the contrary, we are still in for at least 2 more high quality players.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

If clubs want more than we’re willing to pay for players then aren’t we right to walk away? It’s easy to just say “pay what they want” but I’m sure we have our valuation of any player we want to buy, and if it’s poles apart from the selling club then it’s going to be very difficult to do a deal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think we bought young because 'young with potential' was affordable given the number of players we needed, not sure thats the case as Buendia and Bailey are entering their prime, and Ings is clearly a senior player, also last season we were quite happy to buy Barkley at the end of the loan if it worked out.

They are at least 3 years off their prime.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I’d hope not, but who knows.  

Weird if it is done, that means we were never planing to spend any money of Grealish stayed.  Which surely can’t be true.

Exactly. You'd think there's at least 50m in the kitty this summer.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

If clubs want more than we’re willing to pay for players then aren’t we right to walk away? It’s easy to just say “pay what they want” but I’m sure we have our valuation of any player we want to buy, and if it’s poles apart from the selling club then it’s going to be very difficult to do a deal.

The bottom line is the TV Money. If overpaying for JWP by £10m for example got us the CL -then it would easily pay for itself.

If were just above the RZ come Jan - not going the extra £5M for players could lose us £100m in TV money.

1 hour ago, Beastmix said:

I get the feeling the club believe Carney is the future midfield heart of our club, but they also know he's not quite there yet, physically, for the rigors of week in/week out Prem football.

As such, I don't think they see buying a central midfielder as a priority this season and may look toward high profile loans, similar to Barkley (but good) for the next season or two until Carney is ready and we can move the less capable senior players on.

If we do sign a central midfielder, I can see Carney getting a loan. We have such a strong youth system now it's going to need a measured strategy to reap the rewards of it.

We're operating responsibly/professionally and, taking the last decade into account, that's more than good enough for me.

With Chelsea seemingly looking at Bellingham or Sarr, do we think it would be realistic to loan Bakayoko ? I know he hasn't been a regular starter for them for a while, but when they bought him he had been fantastic for Monaco, and he's certainly the style of player we need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

The bottom line is the TV Money. If overpaying for JWP by £10m for example got us the CL -then it would easily pay for itself.

If were just above the RZ come Jan - not going the extra £5M for players could lose us £100m in TV money.

Given the example you use there, buy JWP = CL here we come, don’t buy him = relegation scrap. Do you not think that’s a bit extreme?

Also what if the player we buy flops? What if he wants massive wages? There are lots of factors that go into these deals.