Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry guys you're right, we should definitely ignore the CEO hinting at no more major incomings, the manager saying there would be no more incomings and the press telling us that we are done signing footballers. Because feelings. 

But what does their body language look like on a damp wooden park bench from 50ft away through an iPhone camera?

THEN. THEN WE'LL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Agree. It's takes two to tango. Actually it is more like 10. The player, buying and selling club, agent/s, players wife, kids, Dad, Uncle...... 

Just look at Leon Bailey. Bailey could have wanted this Villa move til he was blue in the face but if his stepfather/agent didn't like us for whatever reason then it wouldn't have happened. 

I guarantee you we are still open to make a deal but what's likely happened is that we have been either priced out (JWP/ESR) or we can't get all the additional parties to agree on the transfer. 

I look at it this way. If no other deals are to happen then JPB, Jacob Ramsey and Carney are all going to see significant minutes this season.  This will only help massively with their growth and we can use it as a advertisment for any youth player in the country. 

You can goto Chelsea/Man City and get loaned out multiple times and never see PL action or come to Villa and actually be given a real oppurtunity to test yourself as a PL footballer. 

The gamble is are they ready and good enough.

Its not just a case of giving teenagers minutes - if it were everyone would do it.

Under this regime - when they've said there'll be no more players coming in previously that has always been the case. Remember when we were all set to sign Berardi on deadline day a couple of years back despite the fact the CEO/manager/media said all our business was done? Turned out that all our business was actually done and it was just ITK nonsense. I reckon we're all done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

But what does their body language look like on a damp wooden park bench from 50ft away through an iPhone camera?

THEN. THEN WE'LL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS

A directional microphone would come in handy also.

After Purslow made his comments we then went and signed Tuanzebe. And the same element of the press (Preece) saying that we're done with signings, also insisted that Grealish wouldn't be going anywhere.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Under this regime - when they've said there'll be no more players coming in previously that has always been the case. Remember when we were all set to sign Berardi on deadline day a couple of years back despite the fact the CEO/manager/media said all our business was done? Turned out that all our business was actually done and it was just ITK nonsense. I reckon we're all done.

Could well be the case

• Like 1

TBF I think what Dean said was that he is happy with the squad as is and would be happy to go into the rest of the season as we are. BUT if the right deal was to come along he would make a move. So let’s see if the right deal comes along. 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

If the manager had said that then I would take notice of it, but he didn't say that so it would not surprise me if we made more signings.

When asked in his press conference last Thursday whether there would be more incomings he literally said no.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sorry guys you're right, we should definitely ignore the CEO hinting at no more major incomings, the manager saying there would be no more incomings and the press telling us that we are done signing footballers. Because feelings. 

image.jpeg.5d71a5267cea3ff748795aa50c5cd974.jpeg

• Sad 1

Also, things can change. Since those vague happy with the squad statements we've lost to Watford and got Traoré injured and out for 3-4 weeks.

Not that those things would cause us to panic but I also don't think the club stops from working on improving or is against making transfers if the right deal comes up.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Press man:  Will there be any more signings?

Manager: No.

Villa fans: WHAT COULD HE POSSIBLY MEAN???

Haven't we already signed Chukwuemeka 2.0 since then?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I think we bought young because 'young with potential' was affordable given the number of players we needed, not sure thats the case now as Buendia and Bailey are entering their prime, and Ings is clearly a senior player, also last season we were quite happy to buy Barkley at the end of the loan if it worked out.

We can certainly afford say Anguissa instead of Doucoure if we want to, but I think with Jack leaving there is perhaps less urgency of immediacy and a year of steady progress with the team developing together would suit us, we can guild the lily next summer with our war chest full. I think above all else we need another 2-3 high quality squad players capable of starting that we can rotate.

If we get into Europe by some slim chance we are going to be in two full-on competitions, we need a large and settled squad otherwise its a waste of time and we are likely to wilt under the demands on all fronts. This is why I hope we buy another 2 or three and why I am also convinced despite suggestions to the contrary, we are still in for at least 2 more high quality players.

I don’t disagree, the issue is always going to be with any signing that the higher we get up the table, the more the rarified air. Case in point that some players may meet their ceiling and need to be moved on for progression.

If we were able to move on a couple of players, I believe we would bring in another midfielder, it may still be the case. 

I believe we have three strong midfielders in McGinn, Luiz and Sanson, but they are very much same same , we do need something different, whether a deep lying playmaker or DM.

• Like 2

We still have 3 games to play before the transfer window closes. If Dean Smith sees poor performances in the league games especially he might "run the rule" over a target or two and get us to put in a 'cool' bid after 'preparing' it of course. Then we can empty the 'war chest' and before the window "slams shut" we might have a player in. Yeah, No.

• Like 2

We are probably done in terms of must haves. But many clubs are short of cash after Covid. Some opportunities might still appear, and it's good to know we have the money available. Would not be surprised at all if some top European clubs offer us some quality players at a discount late in the window. And I think we're still talking to a lot of clubs, but not necessarily trying to push deals through. Just keeping an eye on things.

If a £50m player became available today, there are very few clubs in the world that can afford it. Barcelona couldn't afford to keep Messi, Real Madrid is saving their money to buy Mbappe. German clubs doesn't spend that amount of money on a regular basis. PSG are probably done with major transfers this summer. Italian clubs...don't think so. The Manchester clubs have both spent big, so has Chelsea. Not that many left then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Press man:  Will there be any more signings?

Manager: No.

Villa fans: WHAT COULD HE POSSIBLY MEAN???

Pep - We can’t spend £100m on one player, it is impossible. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We finished 11th and beat Arsenal to the signing of Buendia and signed one of the most exciting players in the Bundesliga. 

The idea that we won't be able to sign good players next summer based on the Watford game is the kind of hypothetical doomsday nonsense I've just mentioned in the Dean Smith thread. 

I think the point was more that if we start regressing then this will be more difficult which to some extent I agree with. I don't think we will regress though (hopefully) and that we have a stronger squad than last year.

Also you're completely right in that there's no point judging us after one game into the season against a fired up team with home support after a disaster of a pre-season plus injuries. It's so ott.