Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He’s a Barkley “replacement” IMO. 

1) Hmmm very different player to Barkley and closer to McGinn

2) why replacement to Barkley, we need a squad.  We have to get out of the mindset of just thinking of a first XI, we need multiple choices for positions and not a fixed XI plus back ups.

Just now, nick76 said:

2) why replacement to Barkley, we need a squad.  We have to get out of the mindset of just thinking of a first XI, we need multiple choices for positions and not a fixed XI plus back ups.

For next season

43 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think it’s sensible planning. Get in a good CM now in case Barkley doesn’t come permanently and/or City buy Douglas Luiz. If we end up keeping all of them then fantastic.

I'd put my money on us keeping 1 of the 2. If we got both on deals to start next season that would be great news. 

Who is Sanson?

101 spoke to French football expert Jeremy Smith to find out more on the midfielder and discover how he could impact his new team.

“In the last few years, first for Montpelier and then for Marseille, Morgan Sanson has proved himself a very good, reliable and versatile central midfielder. He joined Montpellier and excelled for them as more of an attacking midfielder. Since joining Marseille, he has gradually moved back into a slightly more defensive role,” said Smith.

“He sits quite deep and directs play. He can play play at the top or bottom of a midfield diamond. In a midfield two whether as a midfield pivot or the middle of a 4-4-2. He has shown to have a decent knack of appearing on the edge of the area, similar to that of how Frank Lampard would pop up to finish off moves.”

“He has got a good longshot on him and is a very good passer of the ball. He has been close to the France squad a few times.”

With the players at Dean Smith’s disposal, Sanson provides further depth and versatile quality to the side. Adding the Frenchman into the central midfield along with John McGinn, Ross Barkley, Douglas Luiz and Marvelous Nakamba gives coverage over the 6 and 8 positions.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/morgan-sanson-set-to-complete-move-to-aston-villa-from-marseille-but-who-is-the-frenchman/

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He sounds pretty versatile and, actually, a lot like both McGinn and Barkley. 

On the second part, Barkley is not our player. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

this.

I have said that we cant deny Barkley's talent, but i also think he hasnt shown it consistently yet with Villa, add that couple with injuries i really dont think 30m for him is remotely good value right now.

If he can go the rest of the season without injury and raise his level, then thats fine, but currently i think people want us to punt 30m on Barkley because "its barkley", rather than actually critically reviewing what he is doing while here.

If he raises his game and avoids injury up to seasons end i would be extremely happy to get him permanently, but if he doesnt we need to say "not punting money on this, lets spend the 30m elsewhere", and amazingly i have confidence now that we would spend that 30m well.

tbh Sanson means we could play a 433, with Luiz holding and McGinn/Sanson as 2 actual proper 8s who are terriers and capable going forward.

I know Sanson will take a little time to settle, but tbh im excited to see what he is capable of, we need more all action in the team to complement McGinn, and Sanson's stats imply he is a "French McGinn".

Agreed. He's still got time to prove himself but I'm not yet convinced Barkley's worth splashing big on.

Hopefully by the end of the season we'll have a better idea of where Samson plays best within our setup, too, which might inform our decision on Barkley somewhat too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm still very much on the fence about Barkley tbh. For the money he would cost and the risk I think I would look elsewhere but he seems well liked and has a high ceiling when fit and in form.

Sanson puts on in a position where we won't have to be held ransom by Chelsea.

No risk for me, top quality player who improves the squad on and off the pitch, raises our expectations of players in training too.

• Like 1

Looking forward to when he is holding the shirt on the pitch. He can add some of the depth to our squad that we need. We don't need to be seeing this as a reason to suspect that we will be losing another player or not looking to make a loan deal into a permanent one. We are Aston Villa we sign who we like, when we like. :flag: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Other teams don't seem to be signing anyone or can't afford to right now so it's a bit of a statement to complete this one. 

Saw Liverpool fans moaning about this yesterday.

Not sure if they are trying to insinuate we are "cheating ".

However they need to bare in mind the 10's - 100's of millions teams like them have spent over the seasons, we are just beginning to spend ours.

• Like 1

Hopefully the only player he’s replacing is Hourihane, but if he does end up replacing Barkley, it might be to allow McGinn to play further forward in the Barkley role next season.

Edited by Ginko

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Saw Liverpool fans moaning about this yesterday.

Not sure if they are trying to insinuate we are "cheating ".

However they need to bare in mind the 10's - 100's of millions teams like them have spent over the seasons, we are just beginning to spend ours.

This is good news, they’re starting to wake up and take notice, thry know we are becoming a threat

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sne said:

I'm still very much on the fence about Barkley tbh. For the money he would cost and the risk I think I would look elsewhere but he seems well liked and has a high ceiling when fit and in form.

Sanson puts on in a position where we won't have to be held ransom by Chelsea.

agree, i’m not convinced by Barkley at the moment. I really like him, but it needs to be a smart deal.

Just read this, seems he could be a decent addition. Pretty good return on goals and assists considering his style of play. Hopefully he can settle in quickly and help with the title challenge. 🤔

Conclusion

In terms of squad depth, at the price point reported, Sanson looks a very shrewd and necessary addition for Villa. If he uses this second half of the season well when called upon to adapt to the Premier League, it's a style of play that should suit him and playing time may become more regular dependent on whether Villa can or cannot make Ross Barkley's loan move permanent.

A midfielder who chips in with goals, rarely delivers a sub-par performance and always puts in the hard yards should fit in nicely in Dean Smith's ever-improving squad.

whoscored.com

• Like 2

Â