Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

I would still like us to sign a main forward/striker in this window.  It’s a risk just having Watkins, Davis and possibly Wesley for the run in.

Been trying to think of someone from the Championship that could easily slot in and improve on Davis from the bench. An impact sub if you will.

Tin hat time perhaps but what about Cauley Woodrow?  Scored 8 goals so far this season and surely wouldn’t cost a lot.  I wouldn’t say no personally. 

11 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Do you try and sign Diego Costa until the end of the season? A potential goal machine, a player that would be seen as a coup and statement of intent... but also expensive and a complete bast*rd with the risks to squad harmony that would bring.

Not would he sign. But would you try and get him.

He is an absolute prick of a bloke on £260,000 a week. It's like asking if we should bid for Messi.

Not gonna happen, would never happen, could never happen. Our board are far shrewder than that and he goes against everything we are building.

Edited by One For The Road

12 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Scenario:

We beat Burnley on Wednesday. Everton don't beat Leicester and Liverpool Vs Spurs is a draw. (Very possible)

We go into the Southampton game on Saturday where a win potentially puts us in the Top 4 for the final day of the transfer window. 

We have one fit striker who can actually score. 

Do you try and sign Diego Costa until the end of the season? A potential goal machine, a player that would be seen as a coup and statement of intent... but also expensive and a complete bast*rd with the risks to squad harmony that would bring.

Not would he sign. But would you try and get him.

Costa would have a low opinion of us from his time in the league when we were poor.  Oh and he's a lunatic so wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

I'd be absolutely delighted if we did something like the following over this and the summer window:

In

Amavi on a pre-contract.

Patson Daka/Edouard or Santos Borre* on a pre-contract.

Bielik** to cover DM and CB.

St Maximin/Lookman (or another quick winger) with Grealish back in the middle.

Out

Elmo, Lansbury and Taylor out of contract.

Davis needs to go somewhere he plays every game for his development.

Engels looks like he's not going to happen for us.

I'd happily keep Guilbert, but it looks like he could be off. I think the club feel Kesler may be ready to start stepping up.

Hourihane should be able to fetch a fee.

*never seen him play

**only seen him as a CB but looked class and raved about this season as a midfielder

I'm sure there are probably fantastic European options we could get for half the money of ASM too. I wouldn't be too opposed to seeing Ollie on the wing if Wesley looks OK when he returns and we signed a Daka or Edouard. The important thing is to have one winger who is a bit pacier and more direct to balance out Traore on the other side. Trez would be the option for a defensive winger with El Ghazi 4th choice, but able to do a job.

We'd be left with something like:

Martinez (Heaton)

Cash (Kesler)        Konsa (Bielik)      Mings (Hause)        Targett (Amavi)

McGinn (Sanson)      Luiz (Bielik/Nakamba)

Traore (Trez)               Grealish (Ramsey)               ASM/Lookman (El Ghazi)

Watkins/Edouard (Wesley)

Youth to get a chance in league cup: Barry, JPB, Chukwuemeka, Sylla

We wouldn't have to spend a massive amount of money to have a squad way stronger than the one we started this season with. If we qualify for Europe this year I think a squad like this could easily rotate at a good level while keeping players fresh. We'd then be in a position that we wouldn't need anyone in summer 2022 and, with a strong league showing, could focus on a marquee signing or two.

• Like 2

Would love us to sign Folarin Balogun on a free from Arsenal. Hes highly rated there. He proven he can score goals in senior football aswell. He could compete with Watkins and be our 2nd striker. Send Davis on loan  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

He is unproven, in no way can he be our second striker. Plus he seems to have an attitude problem. 

So did Traore, El Ghazi, Barkley and Nakamba before we signed them. Turns out it was bollocks and is just something people say about players as it generally can't be proved either way.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

So did Traore, El Ghazi, Barkley and Nakamba before we signed them. Turns out it was bollocks and is just something people say about players as it generally can't be proved either way.

To be fair him tweeting straight after a game Arsenal lost a goal he scored in youth levels because he isn’t getting picked does come across a bit petulant.. Keep that in house. Either way he is far too unproven for that second striker role. 

3 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

To be fair him tweeting straight after a game Arsenal lost a goal he scored in youth levels because he isn’t getting picked does come across a bit petulant.. Keep that in house. Either way he is far too unproven for that second striker role. 

It might not be great, but it's hardly indicative of an attitude problem. It's just slightly ill advised from a kid who has grown up his whole life with social media.

Nakamba supposedly refused to train when we were after him and appears to have been a consummate professional for us. For me the youngsters who seem to be happy not to play worry me far more than those desperate to get a game and show they can do it.

21 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Is Eduoard doing well this season?  Haven’t really followed but I know Celtic aren’t exactly having a good time of things.

21 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

With it looking likely that Celtic won't qualify for the Champions League this year surely that'll bring Eduoard's price down even more? He's not looked very good for Celtic this season either, but I don't know enough about Scottish football to say why. If he's cheap he wouldn't be a bad squad player surely?

Eduoard is not the player this season as he has been in previous seasons. 

His head has been turned away from Celtic and his performances have not been as good as Celtic fans have cone to expect either.

Taaking nothing away from Edouard as I think any team that does eventually sign him will get the Edoaurd that we all know him to be.

Josef Fritzl at Celtic hasn't splashed a bean in a while now and they need to sell their biggest assets for financial stability.

They don't have many big stars either. Equally, no one is giving them anywhere near the money for Edouard that they are hoping to receive (£40m)

He would be a very good signing still imo and I would say anyone that shells out £20m-£30m will still be getting a very good striker at a bargain price.

I hope we renew our interest in him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Gray available from Leicester for under £2m, Brummie lad from a Villa family despite time with Blues. I think he would be well worth adding as a squad player.

He's always had the ability to go on to Very good things. I can't quite grasp why he hasn't kicked on like I thought he would.

On Tammy I don't believe he's worth it. I don’t see him as an improvement on Watkins. In fact Watkins hold up play, pressing, and aggression is all far superior. In terms of goals they are actually evenly matched. 6 in 16 for Tammy who has actually been Chelsea's first choice striker this season. 7 in 17 for Watkins. 

I also believe Wesley will show he is of a similar class as Tammy.  So for me Tammy isn't worth it. If we sign a forward it has to be one with a very high talent ceiling or an experienced player on loan.

Tomori would be the ideal replacement for Engels. He and Hause would be a very quick pairing with good defensive abilities (as our second choice pairing).

Gray for me is similar to El-Ghazi in terms of quality. Doesn't make sense, we should be going for superior quality.

Left back has to be priority. This window Sanson and a left back should be priorities. Striker 3rd for me. 

This window left back and Sanson.

Next window I'd like Buendia, Grujic, Barkley, and Tomori. Grujic would cost 15m max. Buendia 25 to 35m. Barkley 20 to 25m. Tomori 20m. 

First choice line up 

Martinez

Cash      Konsa     Mings     Targett

Luiz

McGinn   Barkley

Buendia                                Grealish

Watkins

2nd 11

Heaton

Kesler   Tomori   Hause   LB

Grujic

Sanson  Ramsey

Traore                             Trezguet

Wesley

Back ups - Revan, Nakamba, Philogene-Bidace, Barry.

On loan - Rowe, El-Ghazi, Davis, Bridge. 

Sold - Conor, Guilbert and Engels.

Released - Elmo, Taylor.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

After sanson we are done i think

Hope not. Although I don't want us to bring someone in just to fill out the squad, and I don't think we'll do that anyway. But, it would be great if we have already identified our summer targets and are seeing if anything can be done now instead in key areas.