Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I actually think Watkins is a better all round player player than Abraham which goes to show there is talent out there in lower leagues. Yes he cost a lot but he’s been worth it.

Is he a better scorer though?

Tammy scored 15 league goals last season so ollie will struggle to match that and indeed Tammy scored 6 league goals so far despite playing signficantly fewer minutes.

Think the answer here is front 3 of Grealish-Tammy-Watkins gets us top 6.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Would welcome Tammy back but hope we’ll go for Edouard in the summer. Celtic are in a right mess and he’ll only have 12 months left on his contract so should be a more reasonable price. 

Happy with either, but reckon Edouard might have a higher ceiling. 

I can only see Edouard being reunited with Brendan at Leicester (especially if they get top 4) but he is the calibre of striker we need to be looking at. 

although, hopefully Wesley will come back stronger and be an asset to us

• Like 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

Have to agree.

I think Tammy settled well at Villa, not sure he is ready to give up his ambitions with Chelsea yet but just like Barkley he is not a nailed on starter for Chelsea and needs more games if he wants to play for England.

I'm sure Chelsea would also want 50 mil for him, far more than it would cost for Edouard who I think is a huge gamble but could sign for half the cost.

How long does he have left on his deal at Chelsea now? Think missing out on England squad would give serious consideration for him to move on as you imagine it will be very close between him and Ings for last striker spot.

Saying all that you could see Everton being in for him and I reckon Leicester would go for him as eventual Vardy replacement plus teams abroad would fancy him aswell so not as simple as us being first in the queue as soon as he becomes available so the Celtic guy probably more realistic for where we are currently.

I'd imagine Tammy would cost close to twice what Edouard would if I'm honest.

Edouard only has 18 months left on his contract and won't be signing a new one. Has already been talk about Celtic lowering their asking price by quite a lot.

Tammy is young, English and has 2.5 years left on his contract. With the post Brexit rules that makes him valuable to Chelsea. Guess things can change if they are serious about trying to sign Haaland but if so I bet he will still cost a lot.

Ballpark I think Edouard might go for £25m-£30m tops while Tammy would be closer to £50m-£60m IF Chelsea decides to sell which I doubt..

• Like 2

I wonder if Tomori may be a good signing to sniff around in the Summer. Just seen he's gone to AC on loan. Barkley means we couldn't have got him now but a good player to have instead of Engels.

With it looking likely that Celtic won't qualify for the Champions League this year surely that'll bring Eduoard's price down even more? He's not looked very good for Celtic this season either, but I don't know enough about Scottish football to say why. If he's cheap he wouldn't be a bad squad player surely?

5 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I wonder if Tomori may be a good signing to sniff around in the Summer. Just seen he's gone to AC on loan. Barkley means we couldn't have got him now but a good player to have instead of Engels.

I think it’s a loan to buy deal but somebody else can confirm.

37 minutes ago, sne said:

I'd imagine Tammy would cost close to twice what Edouard would if I'm honest.

Edouard only has 18 months left on his contract and won't be signing a new one. Has already been talk about Celtic lowering their asking price by quite a lot.

Tammy is young, English and has 2.5 years left on his contract. With the post Brexit rules that makes him valuable to Chelsea. Guess things can change if they are serious about trying to sign Haaland but if so I bet he will still cost a lot.

Ballpark I think Edouard might go for £25m-£30m tops while Tammy would be closer to £50m-£60m IF Chelsea decides to sell which I doubt..

We would be able to (and willing to) offer Tammy FAAAAR more playing time than Chelsea...
Like I said before... They want "The next big thing"... Big bucks signings scoring goals in other leagues with exotic names....

Tammy Abraham just wants to play football and (I believe, like us all) wants to feel like he is doing a job that people appreciate...
This is a local London boy, FINALLY given a fraction of an opportunity to play for the team that he has loved since he was a sperm cell, but because he isnt scoring a hattrick every 10 minutes, Chelsea have spunked money up the wall on some Lah-de-dah signing...

Tammy will HAVE to leave Chelsea sooner or later... He doesnt have a future there...

And there is no better place to come than with us... A place he knows, understands, is loved... and has had a relatively successful career at...

He might be a Chelsea boy at heart... but he is a Villain all over

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s a loan to buy deal but somebody else can confirm.

Ah, just checked. Looks like they have an option for £25m but isn't compulsory. Interesting that Italians are taking some English CBs over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

He sinks 8 pints after the game

Lisa Simpson Whatever GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

On topic, I think we need an experienced striker for Watkins to learn from for a few seasons.

However, that's quite a difficult position to fill, to bring someone in with the understanding they are there to help someone learn how to undoubtedly become the first choice.

Also, In my opinion, Watkins also doesn't currently have any real competition for his place, I do like Davis, but Watkins is clearly more effective, especially under Smith's way of playing.

I don't know, bringing in a striker who could come off the bench for the last half an hour and offer a bit of experience and something a bit different to Watkins, is something I feel we could really do with?

Just looking at a few free agent strikers - Diego Costa? (attitude? Wages?), Sturridge (Fitness? Effectiveness?). Pato (Wages? Fitness? Could possibly have something to prove similar to Martinez?) or Wilfried Bony (Fitness? Effectiveness? Another one with something to prove?)

1 hour ago, May-Z said:

Ah, just checked. Looks like they have an option for £25m but isn't compulsory. Interesting that Italians are taking some English CBs over.

With a name like Tomori they probably think he’s Italian anyway 😂

• Haha 1

It's difficult to find a decent striker who is willing to be second choice as we aren't going with 2 up top.  A loan to cover til Wes is fit or signing a young striker with potential maybe from a lower league would be the way I go.  I think the horse has bolted on Tammy unfortunately as I reckon he'd score more goals for us than Chelsea where the expectation is so high and Lampard has no idea how to use his ridiculous squad of attacking players.

Scenario:

We beat Burnley on Wednesday. Everton don't beat Leicester and Liverpool Vs Spurs is a draw. (Very possible)

We go into the Southampton game on Saturday where a win potentially puts us in the Top 4 for the final day of the transfer window. 

We have one fit striker who can actually score. 

Do you try and sign Diego Costa until the end of the season? A potential goal machine, a player that would be seen as a coup and statement of intent... but also expensive and a complete bast*rd with the risks to squad harmony that would bring.

Not would he sign. But would you try and get him.

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Scenario:

We beat Burnley on Wednesday. Everton don't beat Leicester and Liverpool Vs Spurs is a draw. (Very possible)

We go into the Southampton game on Saturday where a win potentially puts us in the Top 4 for the final day of the transfer window. 

Do you try and sign Diego Costa until the end of the season? A potential goal machine, a player that would be seen as a coup and statement of intent... but also expensive and a complete bast*rd with the risks to squad harmony that would bring.

Nah. Don't think he'd fit in. 

23 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Scenario:

Are you the poster who used to do the ifs and buts scenario posts etc?

Those were good, would like to see those again. Or maybe it's too early in the season.s

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Scenario:

nah, not mobile enough for us, this Villa team is very much built on mobility, pace, quick movement etc, Costa is too static imo, and probably not the player he was when he was last in the Prem.

Even if he is still a good player, doesnt suit our system tbh.

• Like 2