Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

Berge is out injured for four months.

He's looked very good in parts when I've seen him, but a lot of their fans don't seem to rate him as highly as fans of other clubs do, so maybe he's one of those players that looks good in highlights but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Certainly I wouldn't have him in our team ahead of any of Luiz, McGInn or Barkley,

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Berge is out injured for four months.

He's looked very good in parts when I've seen him, but a lot of their fans don't seem to rate him as highly as fans of other clubs do, so maybe he's one of those players that looks good in highlights but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Certainly I wouldn't have him in our team ahead of any of Luiz, McGInn or Barkley,

Oh didn't know that!

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Still want a CB and Lundstram.

Striker is a difficult one, Watkins should be the undoubted no 1. It would be disruptive to buy someone at the same level as him and I don't thnik we will (or can?) spend that much. Bringing in a Samatta level of player wouldn't make much sense. When Wesley comes back and if he finds his form again it would be ideal with him as back up and competitor for Watkins. But if Wesley isn't back for antoher couple of months it's tricky. We could go for a young one with potential, but that doesn't give us much help in the short run. If we get a really good back up striker, we will have too many when Wesley is back, can't really have three of them competing for one position. I think I would settle for just going with Watkins, with Traoré as back up and Davis as third choice until Wesley is back.

Lundstram?   Seriously?   He's not even an improvement on our bench.

I think it will be Davis as backup with Traore as third choice.   Traore will play on the wing unless both Ollie and Davis are injured.   Everyone gave Ollie MOTM today even though the didn't score because he did all the things Davis does when he doesn't score.  Deano will have no hesitation to put Davis in if Ollie is out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vreitti said:

We still need more squad depth. Ideally we bring in another striker, and a midfield battler. They don't need to be automatic starters. 

Nainggolan is out of favor at Inter. Not sure how many seasons he’s got left in him. 

25 minutes ago, AXD said:

Nainggolan is out of favor at Inter. Not sure how many seasons he’s got left in him. 

I don’t think he’s the right kind of buy for us, a bit too old and a bit of a divisive character (apparently)... 

I have no idea where we need to strengthen anymore. I think it gets tough now as well need a hell of a player to displace anyone.

We have the best keeper in the world and an excellent backup in Heaton, so hopefully we don't need to buy a first-choice keeper for another seven or eight years at least.

We need a left back to replace Taylor. Maybe we can improve on Targett but I'm not sure anymore?

I'd like another centre half, since Engels is either crocked or out of favour, but Hause has really surprised me with his competence so far.

Midfield...can we improve on it? I've no idea. Need to make Barkley a perm.

Up front we need more options, but depends on how Wes comes back. Maybe another striker gives us to option to put Ollie wide.

I've no idea where we go from here!

Edited by blunther

We need a striker without a doubt. If we lost Watkins to injury for weeks or god forbid months, we’d fall down the table.  

I don’t know if the quality we need is gettable in January and would a player come to us knowing that Watkins is first choice? 

Tuff one but we can’t just have Davis as back up. 

For the first time in as long as I can remember, and this is a f***** good thing, I genuinely don’t know which first team position needs improving. 

We look solid across all areas of the pitch. The back 4 is excellent. The midfield two of McGinn and Luiz is balanced and brings energy and calm. Grealish is ripping teams apart, the wingers can’t stop scoring and we don’t want to bring anyone in up top to hamper Watkins development. 

Obviously there are players out there that would improve us, but I just wouldn’t change this team at the moment. Yes we can add depth but we shouldn’t be doing it for the sake of it. The way you get better is by bringing in players that are better than the current XI, thus relegating first team players to the bench. That competition then breeds good performances. Look at Hause, Trezeguet and El Ghazi this season. I argued black and blue that these weren’t good enough for us last season at times (I rate Hause more than others on here) but look how they’ve performed when they’ve come into the team? Trezeguet has been much improved knowing Traore has been brought in. El Ghazi has excellent knowing if he doesn’t perform we have Grealish waiting to be shifted over to the left and Hause has come in and kept 3 clean sheets in a row - NOT a coincidence. 
They’re performing at these levels because they know it’s their shot to nail down a place in the knowledge that if they don’t perform, they’ll be back on the bench. 

Like I say, there are players out there that will improve us, but surely they’ll cost more than 30m? 

So happy with this Villa side at the moment. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

Maybe we use the opportunity to try to bring in a couple of high potential youngsters that could go straight in to the first team squad. Or do what Leicester did with Tielemans and sign a quality young player on loan with an option to buy.

Either way we definitely need a striker as we only have Davis as cover until Wesley is fit, and we don't know how Wesley will be when he's back. We shouldn't play Traore there as he has looked great on the RW recently and should stay there.

• Like 3

I think we need another CB in the window as we are covered pretty well everywhere else in terms of numbers. 

Id like however:

Unknown LB

Unknown CB

Confirmation of Barkley

Koopmeiners from AZ

Rashica

Whoever is the next Eze, Cash, Bowen, Watkins from the Championship

While Saka might be unrealistic maybe we can raid Arsenal for Folarin Balogun who is out of contract in the summer. 19 y.o American/English kid who can play the front 3 and has played in the Europa League and scored this season and is bossing it for their U23 side. 

Apparently Liverpool are interested but surely Villa is the place to be.

Should add I've only seen him play once and that was for maybe 20 mins in the Europa League :D 

Really not fussed about buying or trying to at the moment. Our back ups are coming and playing terrifically. Showing they deserve to keep their places or at least can be relied upon. We could always keep an eye on up coming players who might be available or the odd loan, but I'm happy with a quiet January. If we do end up loaning out say Keinan Davis who's had little game time, then maybe get some other experience on the bench for up front

13 minutes ago, sne said:

While Saka might be unrealistic maybe we can raid Arsenal for Folarin Balogun who is out of contract in the summer. 19 y.o American/English kid who can play the front 3 and has played in the Europa League and scored this season and is bossing it for their U23 side. 

Apparently Liverpool are interested but surely Villa is the place to be.

Should add I've only seen him play once and that was for maybe 20 mins in the Europa League :D 

I keep looking at Saka and thinking how good he will be, probably unrealistic but as I posted previously they could be tempted to sell a young player to raise funds to strengthen. They were close to selling one to Wolves in the summer.

• Like 1

Yes we are playing awesome at the moment but we shouldn’t rest on our laurels .  There are loads of players better than what we have and could improve us but we have to make sure we get the right one if they are available.

At best we are a top six team, at worst we are a second half of the table team and most likely we are a mid table team so there is room for improvement and while we are where we are in the league we must capitalise.

A VVD before he went to Liverpool, a De Bruyne before he went to Man City, a Salah before he went to Liverpool....the gem before they become a star.  We’ve been doing it with the likes of Emi, McGinn etc so over to the scouts...

• Like 3